PDA

View Full Version : Audio Problem

Bradford O
23rd April 2003, 20:15
I'm confused, here's why. I broadcast every morning, and have this problem sometimes. I will have one listener, and they say it sounds good. But as soon as someone else jumps on, then the first listener has major rebuffering, but it sounds fine to the second listener. Here's my broadcast info: Bitrate 24 16.00Khz 2.9kbs Max listeners 10. Modem usually connects at either 52k or 50666k. Only things I have running are DRS and Shoutcast plugins. Any suggestions??? BTW I'm not broadcasting right now, that's why I didn't include listen link.

FesterHead
23rd April 2003, 21:02
Sounds like your DNAS doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the two listeners. Interestingly enough, both listeners should have the same buffering experience.

Your 56k modem should be able to handle up to one 24kbps connection.

Check out the Sticky post titled:
SHOUTcast: Important Info & Answers to FAQs. READ ME!

Scroll down a bit and look for the section titled:
1. DNAS Stuff -> Bandwidth -> DSLReports Bandwidth tester(Only be concerned with the UPLOAD bandwidth)
2. DNAS Stuff -> Bandwidth -> CasterClub's Listener Calculator
3. DNAS Stuff -> Bandwidth -> CasterClub's Bandwidth Calculator

Use 1 to find your upload.
Use 2 to determine the number of listeners you can support at your selected streaming bitrate.

Jay (KXRM) also has a Bandwidth Calculator (http://www.radiotoolbox.com/online_tools/bandwidth.php).

To support more listeners, you can use third party DNAS hosting (http://www.radiotoolbox.com/hosts/)

Bradford O
24th April 2003, 13:17
When doing the listener calculator, it keeps saying listener support would be zero. You said I would only be able to support 1 listener. What would you recommend I change to support up to 5 listneners? Or is it possible using a 56k modem? As you can tell, I'm new to this, so go easy.

JE JaggedEdge
24th April 2003, 14:16
OK.

I recommend you NOT use your 56k dial-up modem to server ANY listener. The problem is, you will have buffering and skippage even on 1 listener, let alone 2-10

If you don't have the funds to get a DSL or Cable connection, then I guess 1 listener is all u can TRY to serve, but I never recommend to peolpe to use a 56k modem to stream anything, because u simply don't have the bandwidth to do it and still do other things on the internet. You might wanna try Live365 and upload your music. Then, MANY people can listen to your station, because the music is not being served off of your connection, but instead is served off of Live365.com's bandwidth.

Thanks,
JE

JE JaggedEdge
24th April 2003, 14:17
Edit: double posted!