PDA

View Full Version : Listener Counts

DJ Ricky
28th April 2003, 15:51
Hey everyone,

First time here and just wanted to ask a quick question and get some feedback on it. I am hearing from a station that supposly you can "fake" your listener count. I for one don't think this is true do to the simple fact that the relay servers report directly into Shoutcast with the totals. Now I have seen that soemtimes the counts are off a little do to relay servers not showing up in counts. But, I find this totally untrue and misleading what this person is saying about stations being able to fake their listener count numbers.

Like some input to this, I just think it's really a station that's a little jealous of the competition is what I think.

Thanks,
DJ Ricky

FesterHead
28th April 2003, 15:54
Fake the listener count where? On their own webpage or the SHOUTcast yp?

I think your hunch is correct.

DJ Ricky
28th April 2003, 15:57
Yes, he says that Shoutcast software you can fake the number in the Shoutcast YP, which I know is extremly ridiculous!! Like I said I think it's just a "want to be not it all."

Thanks,
DJ Ricky

P.S.- I don't think shoutcast would do monthly stats if this was possibly!!! :)

Tom
28th April 2003, 18:52
It can be done but when you're caught it will result in a permanent ban from being listed in the SHOUTcast yp.

Tom

Skydancer84
28th April 2003, 19:50
Originally posted by Tom
It can be done but when you're caught it will result in a permanent ban from being listed in the SHOUTcast yp.

Tom

eheh and it's not good ;)

Jay
28th April 2003, 20:11
actually most of the one's that do this write their own software to communicate on behalf of the SHOUTcast server.