PDA

View Full Version : How can I get more people

Liquid FM
29th April 2003, 09:17
Hey all I have been on air for a while now but I never seem to get many people tuneing in? Why not is it the music i play or just hard to get people to tune in any way? Your views please...Jez:igor:

Skydancer84
29th April 2003, 12:33
i don't know..in my opinion it's the music you stream, the innovation you can have on your stations (like high qualities etc..). there are so much radios out there, today..:(

another problem is that A LOT (i think 80-85%) of shoutcast listeners will not ever know your station simply from the shoutcast list if you don't get some listeners..but how can you if your radio is the last one in the list? ..:rolleyes:

we have to ask promotion, links etc for our stations..in every way we can ;)

Liquid FM
29th April 2003, 12:42
OK CHEERS

vice86
29th April 2003, 21:09
Well Im only getting about 800 upstream so I can only have about 5-7 listeners at a 128kbps stream....I just post my link on a forum I'm on...usually fills up.

Liquid FM
30th April 2003, 08:08
oK kool sounds good will try it out. Do u have a web site 4 ur radio? What kind of stuff do you play?

vice86
30th April 2003, 17:20
Since everyones tastes differ I play dance, new rock, old rock, pop and rap...makes everyone happy. Ofcourse one person wont like the rap or rock, but thats just too bad..lol

biscoradio
30th April 2003, 19:03
I think you need to pick a genre and stick with it. Go to communities that are built around that type of music, and let them know you are there. Get music in that genre that differentiates you from the stations that play a bit of everything.

Think of it this way, if I want to hear rap, I'll tune into a station that just does rap, if I want to hear DNB, I go to a DNB station. Rarely do I feel like listening to different stuff back to back - if I did, I'd probably just hop on different stations that are playing specifically that type of music.

In my case, if you want to hear the band the disco biscuits, come to my station - otherwise there are a thousand other stations that are out there for you to listen to...

global_groove6
30th April 2003, 19:20
agreed, mismatching 4-5 genres into one station simply won't work. Takes away the flow of the music. Music clashes just like a bad outfit would. you need to find a specific genre and stick with it.

JE JaggedEdge
30th April 2003, 20:13
I think that, yes you CAN play a multitude of genres on a station, but you have to know how to and when to play the diferent music. If you play a dance, rock, rap, pop song right after each other.. that's programming BAD!

OK...let's try this... WHAT S YOUR MAIN GENRE that you will be catering to? If it's rock, you play mainly rock and every other genre comes 2nd, meaning, they get less play. You never play an alternative genre MORE than your MAIN GENRE!

Take me for instance...

I love DANCE music, but I don't play it daily, instead I schedule dance mixes on the weekends. I like POP, but some songs I can't play because of the musical conversion and it sounds bad! So I play them at my home off the air...lol

I'm black and I also like Country, but you will NEVER hear it on my station. I think I would get banned from the race if I did that.

If you lsten to UHR you will hear Hip Hop and R&B mainly and not much of Timberlake, Aguilera, thru the day. Know your genre and cater to it. There's nothing wrong with diff genres, just not all in one hour, every hour.

JE

soulful1
1st May 2003, 04:00
I have a pretty huge collection of music that consists of many different genres. I used to broadcast the whole melting pot with no real order. Recently (after reading the forums) I decided to stick to one specific genre. I can honestly say that I've notice no difference in my listener stats.

Don't worry JE, we won't ban you brotha! :)

soulful1

Liquid FM
1st May 2003, 08:14
I think its good to have more than just the one genre as it will keep every one happey! Ur views....

rgATL
2nd May 2003, 02:42
Originally posted by JE JaggedEdge
I'm black and I also like Country, but you will NEVER hear it on my station. I think I would get banned from the race if I did that.

Man, what's the paperwork like to have someone banned from a race?

;-)
rg.

DJHotIce
4th May 2003, 18:33
wait a second? are you saing that you only use a 128kb server? NOw remember not everybody in the world uses hi speed internet! I'd say about 50% are dial up users!!! now what I have found out is that if you offer mulitple streams (which is simple to do in Winamp or SAM2) you will typically get a larger audience! Heres what I would do in order of listners

128kb = 4 listners
64kb = 15 listners
28kb = 30 listners!

now notice I put a 28kb instead of a 56k reason being is because even on 56k dialup internet there will be annoying skipping! Therefore bring down the encoders rate (which in this case is 28k) and it works just fine! Good luck on your radio journey... If you need anymore help go here and we'll be glad to help: http://forums.talksoftnetwork.com

Peace

global_groove6
4th May 2003, 19:14
more shoutcast users use high speed over modem. Probably 80/20 ratio at least. You'll definately want your 128kbps server to hold the largest amount of listeners.

DJHotIce
4th May 2003, 21:24
yes but I have offen seen I get a pretty large amount on my lower streams verses the high bands.

This is a post that will be also posted here! : http://forums.talksoftnetwork.com Hey I encourage everyone to join this forum as well

CluelessIce
10th May 2003, 04:39
:igor: :igor: :down: Funny that you sade or someone sade that you not got any listners.I think the same, i have been up a couple of time queit many howers evry time, and I have zero,butges,nada,null listenrs evrytime.I dont think any one find us out there , and I am streming on 112 kbps.

drivehell
10th May 2003, 15:01
Originally posted by DJHotIce

now notice I put a 28kb instead of a 56k reason being is because even on 56k dialup internet there will be annoying skipping! Therefore bring down the encoders rate (which in this case is 28k) and it works just fine! Good luck on your radio journey... If you need anymore help go here and we'll be glad to help: http://forums.talksoftnetwork.com

Peace

why not just have a 32k or 40k? still works for modem users, and sounds much better than 32..

drivehell
10th May 2003, 15:07
My advice to you on getting (and retaining) listeners is to have a website with a schedule.

Vary up the content.

Have some live shows, or blocks of related content or genres.

Keep the station up at all times and monitor the sound quality.

Tune into your own station and see how it sounds to you..
(I'm constantly tuned into my own station just so I can monitor the quality of the sound coming out on the other end.)

Run as low and high bit rate stream.

Be active on relevant message boards with something in your signature about your station (kind of like what I do). This will get you more listeners for sure..

Get other ppl who are active on msg boards to add your station info to their sigs.

Find as many channels for advertising as you can.

DJHotIce
10th May 2003, 15:25
Allright Thats A great Idea Also

matt2kjones
10th May 2003, 16:16
I think a website is important to a radio station as well.

gives something to look at. because if someone finds your radio station on say winamp.com, and they visit your homepage, a homepage is usually easier to remember than a radio station link.

create a message board, a chat room, etc for your radio station :)

i keep to one genre personally, because u know that they will probably like most of what they hear that way :)

if they dont like the genre then they can go somewhere else, but if u stick to one genre, the people who like that genre will apprichiate your station more