PDA

View Full Version : I got a few questions

mahel
30th April 2003, 16:15
hello to you all,......
I am playing a little with shoutcast again and have a few Q,

1. What is this 3 songs from the same artist in one hour rule?
2. As i remember there are a few *tools* for shoutcast, like another program to hook up with it. So there is a *better* control panel and such...

Thanks for any help :)

FesterHead
30th April 2003, 16:34
1. It's part of the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) (See below)

2. Check out the Sticky post titled...
SHOUTcast: Important Info & Answers to FAQs. READ ME!

Scroll down a bit and look for the section titled...
General SHOUTcast Information -> SHOUTcast ToolBox (All sorts of nifty add-ons for SHOUTcast)

This is a short summary. Read the full document.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. ยง 114 (DMCA) (http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/legislation/hr2281.pdf)governs certain requirements and rules with which persons transmitting digital media must comply. Without limiting the applicability of all other laws, rules and contractual provisions that may govern your activities, you agree to comply with the following specific DMCA rules in connection with your Internet Broadcast Programming:

You may not include in your Broadcast Programming specific sound recordings within 1 hour of a request by a listener or at a time specifically designated by the listener.

In any three-hour period, you should not intentionally program more than three songs (and not more than two songs in a row) from the same recording; you should not intentionally program more than four songs (and not more than three songs in a row) from the same recording artist or anthology/box set.

Continuous looped Broadcast Programming may not be less than three hours long.

Retransmission's of your Broadcast Programming may be performed at scheduled times as follows: Broadcast Programs of less than one-hour - no more than three times in a two-week period; Broadcast Programs longer than one hour - no more than four times in any two-week period.

You should not publish advance program guides or use other means to pre-announce when particular sound recordings will be played or the order in which they will be played.

You should only include in your Broadcast Programming sound recordings that are authorized for performance in the United States.

You should pass through (and not disable or remove) identification or technological protection information included in the sound recording (if any)

global_groove6
30th April 2003, 17:02
man u guys got it bad. feels good to be in Canada hehe.

MStar
1st May 2003, 03:22
I hear ya! :D
But I Still Follow Those Rules.

rgATL
2nd May 2003, 02:46
damn, mstar, that sig keeps getting bigger and bigger...

lol
rg.

DJHotIce
14th May 2003, 21:59
mstar I think there was a vol. limit to the sig sizes. Just thought you'd know, if not they'll make a strict limit of sig sizes or ban em permanatly or something of that sort!

matt2kjones
14th May 2003, 22:52
hmmmmmm note:

that the above rules only exist for copyrighted music

so if u play unsigned music, ignore them all you wish :)

Vchat20
14th May 2003, 23:10
Originally posted by festerhead
You may not include in your Broadcast Programming specific sound recordings within 1 hour of a request by a listener or at a time specifically designated by the listener.

So, what does this mean? If I get a live request from someone other than myself, the sopng that they request cannot be played until atleast one hour after they requested it? Cuz that is just ridiculous.

of course, that might not be the case. that section is just confusing me all to h*ll

FesterHead
14th May 2003, 23:26
If I get a live request from someone other than myself, the sopng that they request cannot be played until atleast one hour after they requested itThat's how I interpret it.

Vchat20
14th May 2003, 23:31
Well that just sucks... (cant say due to forum rules). ;)

DJHotIce
15th May 2003, 01:47
what a stupid rule!

matt2kjones
15th May 2003, 01:50
lol you just gotta laugh at the state of the music industry

what a mess

its no longer about music, but about rules, greed and money

shame...

DJHotIce
15th May 2003, 02:24
its horrible I talked to a good friend who works FM and hes says hes fed up with the RIAA tring to double dip just because they wish to stream to the net!

Vchat20
15th May 2003, 04:09
yes. same thing here. talked to a DJ of a local radio station via email's. and by this we have came close friends. but from what we were talking about, they recently had to take their radio station offline (it used to be streaming) due to the RIAA adding extra costs to be able to stream over the net. and they could not afford it. and this is quoting his email: "until those clowns decide to drop the fees, we will not be streaming anytime soon". and I gotta agree with both you and him, ever since Metallica brought that big lawsuit against Napster, the whole music industry has just went straight down the crapsoot.

btw, the name of the DJ from that station is "Dave Steele" and the station website is www.k105country.com . if anyone is interested of course. ;)

DJHotIce
15th May 2003, 20:31
allright thanks vchat20