PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a good radio?

Liquid FM
1st May 2003, 11:16
Hey so what really makes a good radio?
Yes the tunes and the rest but I think its good when you get radios on shoutcast when people talk some times as I think it makes the radio also with jingles. Well thats just my own views any way. What do the rest of you think? :cool:

FesterHead
1st May 2003, 16:22
When people stay, listen and keep coming back.

global_groove6
1st May 2003, 20:23
consistant uptime (24/7), quality of the stream and music that people wanna hear.

Liquid FM
1st May 2003, 20:27
so whats the best stuff to play to get people to tune in then? I play Dance,RnB,Urban,Mixed that any good then?

global_groove6
1st May 2003, 20:44
sure thats combination should be ok but I wouldnt go too far off. ie, play dance and country on the same station or metal and R&B. the question is, what makes ur station unique and different from all the other ones playing the same stuff?

Liquid FM
1st May 2003, 21:06
Ok well how about if its just Dance,Trance,RnB,Mixed and no Urban as its nice to mix some times and also thats the kind of stuff i like. ur views

JE JaggedEdge
1st May 2003, 21:12
I always say CONTECNT, CONTENT CONTENT! If the music is not great, then the listeners will not be that interested. So, If u wann a ply that mix, concentrate on the strongest genre out of it u wanna play.

JE

Liquid FM
1st May 2003, 21:17
Thats just it i like them all ggrr Some days hey|!

FesterHead
1st May 2003, 21:37
Make multiple streams.

Liquid FM
1st May 2003, 21:45
will need more bandwith than I have at the moment then and more servers..all money

musicnetfm
2nd May 2003, 16:24
I just concentrate on Dance, Pop & Rock from Europe, heavy on the dance though, I also run 2 streams, 128k & 32k simulcast, there are also a couple of DJ Mix shows as well as a Live show on Saturdays.

Liquid FM
2nd May 2003, 19:10
How many people do you get would you say and how many can you have?

musicnetfm
3rd May 2003, 05:31
I can carry a max of 20 listeners on each stream, the 128k stream is most popular with with a average of 200 stream hits per day.

Liquid FM
3rd May 2003, 10:53
ok

djqwest
4th May 2003, 04:16
I think most issues have been covered with respect to music programming. I'd just like to contribute by mentioning what has been seriously overlooked in this thread and that is a solid supporting website...

1. A Quality website with supporting information for the music, live shows, and the djs. New content daily is always best.

2. Consistant live show schedule. Have your live show djs do the their show the same time each day of each week. Schedule a variety of different types of show formats staying within your primary music genres.

3. Find every free avenue possible to promote your website and station. Do this 24/7.

4. Offer various platforms for which your listeners can tune in from your website. That is to say make your streams available using the different audio players out there. Winamp / Windows Media / Real Player / FreedomAudio / etc.

Best of luck,

Qwest
MetroMixRadio.com

Liquid FM
4th May 2003, 12:02
Thanks for the info buddie will look into it thanks. Jez

Grashoper
6th May 2003, 00:51
Having a nich market like gaybc.com did or RadioDizzy has...you reach out to one type of market like queers world wide with news, views and music. It's a great market cause there is nothing servering just them sence gaybc went down.

Mike
RadioDizzy
http://www.dizzyqueen.org.uk

glbtQ radio for the new millenium and beyond

dj_bullet
29th March 2005, 09:34
i think when DJ's interact with listners by talking and takeing requests and even puting listners on the air.
i think that makes the station a good station

p.s oh yeah and u have to have a few promos,station ids,and good music

Grashoper
29th March 2005, 14:40
Bullet,

Sounds like you have some hidden skills as a PD. Theres GOOD money in programming!

:up:

t0pher
29th March 2005, 20:44
dj/ listener interaction is always a plus.