PDA

View Full Version : I want to broadcast, but my isp will not let me run a server,

vrcat50
3rd May 2003, 18:45
I want to know if shoutcast is a server, and if so, how can I broadcast, without using my isp as a server.

civperc
3rd May 2003, 19:20
you'll need to register an account with a webhost company, and use the bandwidth they provide.

global_groove6
3rd May 2003, 19:41
if ur not planning on broadcasting 24/7 I doubt your ISP will notice or even mind. If your goin 24/7 I would change ISP's.

wannaberadio
5th May 2003, 21:11
As a followup...

Can someone help or point me in the direction of where it is on the 15 steps that explains how to set up the same server that hosts your website as the server that hosts your shoutcast stream?

I want to perform live into shoutcast, into my webpage, and out to the world on a bi-weekly basis. It would be offline otherwise.

Can this be done? Everything I read on the 15 steps says it must be your PC, and it can only be accessed by people with Winamp...

Way confused, but appreciative of any help.

Cheers!

FesterHead
5th May 2003, 21:32
Check out the results from a SHOUTcast forum search (http://forums.winamp.com/search.php) on 'telnet ssh'.

Look for a post by clubexplosion titled:
Install shoutcast on host

Note: Other search criteria may yield more results.

wannaberadio
6th May 2003, 15:07
Thanks Festerhead,

I see you've answered a lot of these type of posts! I appreciate your patience...Looks like this is a question better suited for my host provider since the whole process is governed by them....

I'm wondering, Like global groove said above...If they would even notice if I broadcasted only every other week for 2 hours and would probably only have 100 listeners tops!

still, I guess I have to have the ability to install software on my ISP, correct?

FesterHead
6th May 2003, 16:04
If they're anal, they'll know since 100 listeners would spike their upload :)

If you have shell access (telnet ... ssh), then you should be able to install and instantiate the DNAS.

wannaberadio
6th May 2003, 19:13
It's Ipowerweb, so ????

I don't even think I have telnet access so this may all be moot. That and I couldn't understand word one of your last sentence...I still have a lot of reading to do...It seems to broadcast on the internet you need a PHD in I.T. and Network Administration...

Me just a clumzy DJ....hoo dee hoooo...

FesterHead
6th May 2003, 22:20
iPowerWeb User Agreement (http://www.ipowerweb.com/company/legal/legal_user.html) -> 10. Bandwidth and Disk Usage- iPowerWeb will provide you with 30GB of transfer data per month.

As long as you don't go over your bandwidth allotment you should be OK.

http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/index.html
I don't see telnet as a offered service.

Depending on your ISP and/or home setup, some networking knowledge is required.

wannaberadio
8th May 2003, 16:13
Well, just my luck....Ipowerweb does NOT support Telnet or SSH...

Looks like it's live365 for me then....and I don't like them at all.... :(

robos99
9th May 2003, 17:20
sorry, hit wrong post button