PDA

View Full Version : Why is it?

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 17:02
Why is it? On Liquid FM I play loads of new stuff but people just do not seem to tune in. Why is this any ider?

Jay
7th May 2003, 17:26
because people don't want to hear new stuff they want to hear the music they like.

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 17:36
Well that may well be new stuff there are loads of people on shoutcast so a least a few MUST like new stuff or every one would make no more tunes ever!

musicnetfm
7th May 2003, 17:44
I play a mix of new & old, I am beginning to pick up listeners, not huge numbers, but it makes it worthwhile

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 17:46
true

djqwest
7th May 2003, 17:55
You need to be visible in order for peeps to check you out. If they don't know you exist, you won't have many listeners.

Qwest.,

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 17:56
So hw can I do that I have made a web site i am in the shoutcast list..what els can I do lol...I am doing me best

djqwest
7th May 2003, 18:05
If you are dedicated to finding every avenue imaginable to promote your website and radio station you would have a consistant listener count which would validate your dedication.

Do not believe for a minute that just because you are you listed on Shoutcast that the masses will come to you. Do not stop there, that is only a small piece of the pie.

I'm a firm believer that "if you build it they will come". But sometimes you have to lead a horse to water in order for them to drink it.

I am not going to list the promotional opportunities that exist because their are just too many of them. Do the research if you are serious about broadcasting.

Qwest.

Originally posted by Liquid FM
So hw can I do that I have made a web site i am in the shoutcast list..what els can I do lol...I am doing me best

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 18:07
Ok I will look into it many thanks all :o) Cheers Jez

FesterHead
7th May 2003, 18:08
Tell five friends to tell five friends to tell five friends to tell five friends...

Post flyers around your town, school, university, ... (make sure to ask permission where applicable)

Get business cards and stick them on boards, give them out to folks at the mall, music store, ... (This is my favorite. I'm browsing for music at Borders or Wal-Mart and strike up a conversation with other browsers... BAM! "Here's my station card.")

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 18:10
Ok thanks buddie may just do that cheers!

Jay
7th May 2003, 18:23
ok well I guess I just don't look to deeply into this anymore, it's fairly easy to get listeners once you let go of control over your station, let the listeners decide what they want to listen to and you will fill it up, every bit of space I have has been utilized on my popular music streams. I am sure if i had more it would be consumed as well. The only place you can listen to my stream is on shoutcast.com

Now when I try to make a station where I only play music I like or play obscure music that noone really listens to, then no one ever listens. It's actually extremely simple, if you are looking for a unique sound beyond what everyother station is playing then you will definately have a harder time drawing people to your stream. I guess it's either choose the easy way or the hard way. :)

djqwest
7th May 2003, 18:27
How long have you been up and running? I agree with your statement regarding "choosing the easy way or the hard way". The easy way however, has been done time and time again. In my opinion "the easy way" = "just another station".

Qwest.

Originally posted by KXRM
ok well I guess I just don't look to deeply into this anymore, it's fairly easy to get listeners once you let go of control over your station, let the listeners decide what they want to listen to and you will fill it up, every bit of space I have has been utilized on my popular music streams. I am sure if i had more it would be consumed as well. The only place you can listen to my stream is on shoutcast.com

Now when I try to make a station where I only play music I like or play obscure music that noone really listens to, then no one ever listens. It's actually extremely simple, if you are looking for a unique sound beyond what everyother station is playing then you will definately have a harder time drawing people to your stream. I guess it's either choose the easy way or the hard way. :)

Jay
7th May 2003, 19:00
well I have been doing this since shoutcast started, but the station's I run now just started a few months ago, but the reason for my belief is I can't see why it is people complain when you build something that you know no one else has done. No one is going to flock to something they have no interest in. I understand the whole "just another station" thing, but I question it's validity in the "how to get listeners?" question. Sometimes you gotta do the safe thing to get listeners then use it to draw them to other areas of music that other station's won't do. You can't just completely abandon whats already been done. Of course this whole arguement depends on the genre you are broadcasting. If you are broadcasting a genre no other station broadcasts then you will definately have a harder time finding the right way to program a station in such a way that will hold a large audience. So I guess the question needs more detail. What is it you hope to achieve? What genre are you choosing to broadcast? Why is it that you feel you need more listeners?

kessler
7th May 2003, 21:25
Here is my #1 Rule when Programming a Station and it makes ALL the since in the world..

"People dont know what they like, they like what they know"

Get out of the mindset that YOU have to break the hits, let the hits break themselves....

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 21:31
ok

DJHotIce
7th May 2003, 21:59
Liquid FM; I started wit 0 listeners the whole day then gradually worked up to 200! Wanna here my success story? We'll here it goes

1) Post on winamp forums!
2) Create several streams, each a diferent bitrate
3) Tell Friends
4) Stick to one type of music; don't switch between oldies and new age! That's a way to lose listeners big time
5) Wait! All these stations had to wait just like you and me! It took me about 3 weeks to obtain that rating! So giv it time, and each day you'll be popular!

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 22:07
I have been on for more than a few weeks about 20 lol...But still I get not a lot :( Take a look at my site it will tell you about Liquid FM then leave your views in this fourm please :) Would you say what I play is good?

DJHotIce
7th May 2003, 22:14
hey liquid FM; I don't know if you wanna do this but I can get you http://yoursite.talksoftnetwork.com instead of that bulky geocities one! Which can also be cloaked so it looks real cool, contact me if you wish to do this, also get some php forums like mine http://forums.talksoftnetwork.com (not real address but hosted by tripod w/o adds! I can do this 4 ya) Also can get you ads free from angelfire.com!!!

Liquid FM
7th May 2003, 22:19
Ok will look into

kessler
8th May 2003, 02:55
First off I'll Talk about your New Adds for the week (Not Boasting AT ALL, but I have a lot of programming experience so bear with me)

Busta Rhymes - I Know What (Ok song a little bit new)
DT8 Feat. Roxanne Wilde -- Destination (Never Heard of it)
Eminem - Superman (Already Peaked - meaning it no in high rotation anymore)
Girls Aloud - No Good Advice ( Never heard of it)
Good Charlotte - Boys and Girls ( "The Anthem" is there most current and popular song, this one is not being played on any station is the US that I am aware of)
J lo - all i have - (Already Peaked, although a good song)
Ja Rule Mesmerize - (Already Peaked, although a good song)
Jaimeson Feat. Angel Blu - True (Too New)
Jay Z - Bonny and Clyde - (Way past its time)
Justin Timberlake - Rock Your Body (Nice song good beat)
Lil Kim - The Jump Off.ft.mr cheeks and timbaland (Never heard of it)
Madonna - American Life (This song died, basically was unpopular and busted in its 3rd week on the charts)
Mr Reds vs DJ Scribble - Everybody Come on (Never heard of it)
Scooter - Weekend (Never heard of it)
Sonique - Can't Make Up My Mind (Too New)
Tatu - Not Gonnna Get Us (Good Choice, still abit early to add in my opinion)
Tomcraft - Lonlyness (Never heard of it)

Pick a solid format IE: CHR/Top 40 CHR/Rythmic: Alternative

Check out the charts online...

You can get a good idea by listening to my stream...

Hope that helps...

Liquid FM
8th May 2003, 10:25
How can I tune be to new? The only way people will no about it is to hear it? When you say Pick a solid format U mean just one ie pop RnB? The stuff that may be you have never come across its stuff thats in the UK were i am from and yet not with you over in the USA.So you think I should play stuff thats in say the UK and USA top 40?

musicnetfm
8th May 2003, 17:27
Uk Huh?, I'm in the Uk but play music from across Europe, much of which doesn't see light of day either here or the US/Canada

Liquid FM
8th May 2003, 21:39
ok will do thanks 4 the feedback