PDA

View Full Version : ISP forbids use of net for commercial purposes...

robos99
9th May 2003, 17:22
last night i decided i would check the terms of service for my ISP, and it turns out that they strictly forbid using it for commercial uses....like running an internet radio station. now i'm going to be streaming to a streamhost, so i'll only be using a small chunk of bandwidth for the source stream. has anyone had a problem with the ISP finding you out and shutting you down? i don't wanna get my net shut off b/c the ISP found out i was making money off of their connection. I don't know why they need to be so anal about this anyways. they're still making their money.

FesterHead
9th May 2003, 18:09
Trying to cicumvent ToSs is generally not a 'Good Thing' to do. If you need clarification, try contacting your ISP and explain what you want to use the bandwidth for.

Is changing ISPs an option?

robos99
9th May 2003, 18:20
changing isn't much of an option. my parents wouldn't wanna change, and there's only one other cable internet provider here...i hear their downtime is worse than this one, and they probably have similar rules. i doubt the ISP would really catch me, and like i said i'm not running a server here, so i won't be using that much bandwidth. i'll still be in the allotted bandwidth for this account...only it'll be in use 24/7.

DJ AmPs
9th May 2003, 20:38
Originally posted by robos99
last night i decided i would check the terms of service for my ISP, and it turns out that they strictly forbid using it for commercial uses....like running an internet radio station. now i'm going to be streaming to a streamhost, so i'll only be using a small chunk of bandwidth for the source stream. has anyone had a problem with the ISP finding you out and shutting you down? i don't wanna get my net shut off b/c the ISP found out i was making money off of their connection. I don't know why they need to be so anal about this anyways. they're still making their money.

Most likely you will end up spending money and not making much money of your radio station. I don't think they will investigate you far enough to discover your business structure and most likely if you get shut down it's for excessive bandwidth usage.

-amps