PDA

View Full Version : New idea

DJHotIce
18th May 2003, 02:40
Hey I was thinking arround while using my fav music p2p program (you guessed it) Kazaa!!! And I was thinking about how they manage bandwith.

it goes something like this 1 person hosts then people grab it. Then that person who has it also hosts the same file and so on and so on. There's pretty much an infinite amount of hosts.

I'm thinking of a plan (sorta unethical) of using the people who listen in's bandwith to create a giant unending server.

The technology exists just like in this p2p world of cource.

Things that would need to be worked out.
1. What happenes when a person leaves? I believe it should automacticly foward to the host (master) [which could hold about 20 listenres]
2. How would a person tap in. Using a plug in or something, sorta like hacking??? I don't know neva done it! But sorta like get past the firewalls and junk. And can tap into there player, wither it be winamp (yay) or realplayer (boo) and then it creates another slot for a listener.
3. What about dialup customers? What about them? If we can (like in kazaa) get a whole bunch of dial up customers it could translate into one High Band. the proposed kazaa like stream manager, would automacticly configure and all.
4. Is this possible and all? Prob not. Just an Idea to throw arround.

Voice your opinions about it. I'd say that winamp should be the first to impliment this software because it would really!! Put a load off our backs! We haveta deal with ISP prices for T3,000 Connections and deal with the strugle of being number 1 within a budget!

Also We don't wanna take as much CPU space and all and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But Its just an idea ya'll please voice your ideas also. I don't know why they removed the wishlist :( I liked it too!

rgATL
18th May 2003, 03:48
It's a novel idea, but I don't really know how you'd get it off the ground. Forget the matter of this seeming much like an exploit, how would you do it?

rg.

FesterHead
18th May 2003, 03:49
Check out the results from a SHOUTcast forum search (http://forums.winamp.com/search.php) on 'peer streaming' or 'p2p'.

Note: Other search criteria may yield more results.

DJHotIce
18th May 2003, 14:58
ahh soo something like this exists! yay thanks festerhead your the greatest!

Tophicles
23rd May 2003, 19:19
Is a new peer to peer internet radio system that allows anyone to broadcast mp3 or ogg audio, to an unlimited number of listeners, from an internet connection as humble as a 56k modem.

It uses a branching tree-like network to distribute the audio data, each listener relaying the signal on to others, instead of the conventional client-server way where every listener gets the signal directly from a central server. Only a few listeners connect directly to the server, so broadcasters only need a fraction of the bandwidth. It should scale indefinitely, new listeners just tag onto the outer edges of the tree and then make their upload bandwidth available for even more listeners.

The tree gradually shuffles it's connections around to optimise itself, bringing the better and long-stay hosts closer to the broadcast source. Listeners disconnect politely when they leave, waiting for any hosts receiving the signal from them to find alternate sources. There is also a large internal buffer to cope with upstream hosts vanishing unexpectedly. It uses an alternative UDP based data delivery protocol to TCP, which should not slow down because of large ping times or the up/down bottleneck effect.

http://www.chaotica.u-net.com/streamer.htm

DJHotIce
23rd May 2003, 19:21
Hey thanks I know it sounds a little spacy

Tophicles
23rd May 2003, 19:32
It's actually a pretty good system, now if only someone could make a WinAMP plugin that allows this technology to work, that would kick ass.
It's too much to ask people to download yet ANOTHER peice of software just to tune in.

DJHotIce
23rd May 2003, 19:37
really; it would help the broadcasters as well

Tophicles
23rd May 2003, 19:44
Oh for sure!
Think of the implications for stream hosting too.
It would change everything...

DJHotIce
23rd May 2003, 19:56
I would pretty much remove the problems with broadcasters having to buy extra bandwith!

And as allways there will be no excuse for using a 56k to broadcast with this idea. You'd still need a pretty hefty uplink. 128 should be fine.

Tophicles
23rd May 2003, 20:16
Goodm now which one of us is a genius with the WinAMP API? :)

DJHotIce
23rd May 2003, 20:38
huh?? I am not a wiz at winamp, just shoutcast :(

Tophicles
23rd May 2003, 20:57
To program the WinAMP plugin :)
nm, it's Friday and I'm tired :)

DJHotIce
23rd May 2003, 21:19
you may wanna talk to matt2kjones. he has experience with C++

Rafael2127
24th May 2003, 00:40
Hmm good Idea whoever came up with
But there is a website talking about P2p I was rading and this guy is
ready to broadcast using p2p check his website
http://www.chaotica.u-net.com/spage/advconf.htm
If this works for real it will be great I'm installing this program to see if works then I will save $1000 a year :p thats nice but if works in my computer..

DJHotIce
24th May 2003, 00:50
but do you understand this kazaa type concept of broadcasters saving bandwith by p2p streaming. If nullsoft agrees with us and decides to choose some type of p2p streaming software it'll be great. as allways it'll have to be compatible with both, winamp and shoutcast.

plus there would be in the long runn all those others like real player, music match and others

thanks for your comment.

Skydancer84
25th May 2003, 10:52
wow it seems a really cool system! i am going to have a look..:)

Skydancer84
25th May 2003, 11:32
woooow, what an interesting thing!! i am thinking about using that..;)

Skydancer84
25th May 2003, 13:55
just because i am very curious..Love Stream now has a p2p stream too :D

DJHotIce
25th May 2003, 14:44
well skydancer84 here's the prob. Not all services support it as of now. Your listeners would have to download aditional software to use this p2p service!

Tophicles
25th May 2003, 16:31
Which is why I was mentioning someone being able to program something like that as a winAMP plugin, that way there's not yet ANOTHER player for people to hassle with.

DJHotIce
25th May 2003, 17:28
well then you have to hassle people to download this plug in. Winamp could ship this plug in allready installed and fully functionable if thats what you mean.

good idea tophicales keep dreamin big!

Skydancer84
25th May 2003, 19:03
yep HotIce, people has to download the Streamer program..but someone will do it!

when shoutcast radios were borning people had to download winamp. hope it'll be the same for the p2p networks.