PDA

View Full Version : How do I make it sound like hell?

rgATL
21st May 2003, 04:37
Hey,

I want to take a clip and REALLY make it sound crappy...I mean horrible, but still discernable. I figured I could encode it at a really low bitrate (like 8kbps or so)...I tried to do so with Sound Forge, but I couldn't get it to go that low. Any ideas?

I want it to sound bad for a promo I'm making (ie, like "ditch that crappy internet radio and start listening to high quality stuff).

So, as the topic says, how can I make it sound like hell?

thanks,
rg. ;-)

global_groove6
21st May 2003, 06:32
record at the lowest bitrate u can go, 16kbps should be good and clip the gains like mad.

CluelessIce
21st May 2003, 09:29
people are sensetive this day....when it come to choose the station they what to listen too.......do you think it is a good ide.The gone leve and maby not come BACK

Jay
21st May 2003, 13:42
heh you could just keep re-encoding at 8kbps over and over again to get to a digital mess.

FesterHead
21st May 2003, 16:21
CluelessIce, rgATL is making a promo.I want it to sound bad for a promo I'm making (ie, like "ditch that crappy internet radio and start listening to high quality stuff).

BigDaddyK
21st May 2003, 16:34
Just mash up your EQ settings - you could do this in SoundForge - and run the sample through a bunch of plugins. I think one of the older versions of SoundForge had some bad FM or AM emulators that should give you that tin can sound you're after.

robos99
21st May 2003, 18:32
mess with the EQ. cut all the lows, and jack up the highs and mids. this will make it sound like it's coming out of 2 inch speakers. i'm assuming your promo will have the low quality part, and then cut into the high quality part promoting your station...so be sure the high quality part sounds even better than your stream is. you should fatten up the bass, but don't make it too much or it'll sound muddy. there's effect processors you can buy that'll add little things like the pops and clicks you'd heard on vinyl.

invis
21st May 2003, 18:58
Yeah, you can jack your EQ and that will hose your sample. hah... You could also keep encoding to mp3, decode the mp3 back to wave, recode the decoded wave back to mp3, decode that back to wave, recode that back to another mp3.. etc..
haha

The good ol' lossy compression of mp3 will do the rest. ;)

rgATL
23rd May 2003, 21:09
Originally posted by KXRM
heh you could just keep re-encoding at 8kbps over and over again to get to a digital mess.

What program can I use to ecode at 8kbps? I couldn't get SoundForge to go that low.

Thanks to everyone else too; I'll start messing with the EQ too.

thanks,
rg.

jagwac
23rd May 2003, 23:34
If you have CoolEdit, you can simply add distortion to the file and make it sound all hissy and scratchy. There are a number of presets there to easilly do this.

I just tried it with one of my DJ's promo's that he made to see what it was like.

You want crappy sound? That will do it!

DJHotIce
24th May 2003, 00:25
yeah put a lot of distortion in it. If you have Cool Edit pro this is simple to do. Crazy distortion, noise.

so just try what everybody else has been recomending! Good luck let us hear the promo when its done!

invis
24th May 2003, 09:12
Yeah, or that.. CoolEdit.. goldwave.. there are a bunch that have a lot of filters and plugins that do stuff like you want.

Psythik
25th May 2003, 02:56
Preamp it to at least +10db. That will be pretty messy. also, crank the recording mixer settings to full power. And to top things up, really mix-up the audio track to make it sound extremely skippy. (Don't forget to use 8k audio for this). However, whatever you do, don't make it so horrible that people run away (Although seeing them run away like freakin' beheaded chickens would be funny as hell, heh heh).

Make sure you encode the good sound in at least 128kbps. And use a good amount of bass and fidelity, like robos99 suggested.

Man, I can barely wait for the result. Give us the link so I can hear the result when you're done.

DJHotIce
25th May 2003, 14:46
hehe I thinnk the best idea is to stick with him. This doesn't require any major software of any sort! Just a basic mixer, and or Winamp. Sound recorder on your computer may be an option :) but WHY!!!

Psythik
7th June 2003, 23:58
It's been a while since you've posted this. Aren't you done yet? I'm dying for the results!

Pies
8th June 2003, 16:51
Isn't it odd how some people seem to be experts on how to make music sound bad ;)

DJHotIce
8th June 2003, 22:19
hmmmm I could say soo!