PDA

View Full Version : Why is computer art not taken seriously?

Rovastar
31st August 2003, 23:47
Why is it the case in the art world that computer genertaed art is not taken seriously. i.e. people paying more for it, nominated for modern art prizes (Turner, etc).

Discuss.

(edit: Maybe our resident classical expert X can shed some light. :) )

Namelessv1
31st August 2003, 23:55
I guess it's because some people think that it's only using software like Photoshop and Bryce to create or manipulate objects and shapes rather than actually creating them with "basic tools" such as brushes and pencils. Supposedly the software is "doing" all or most of the "hard work."

Fickle
1st September 2003, 01:48
Let me tell you something about PC art. When I screw around in Photoshop, I use filters, perspective changes, I render lens flares, etc. It's harder to create said things in real life.

I admit that PC art is no bed of roses, but I can create a neat looking picture in about ten minutes.

xenosomething
1st September 2003, 02:14
i must admit using photoshop makes things considerably easier....

there is no "undo" command when doing a real painting.

;)

iPlayTheSpoons
1st September 2003, 02:30
very true...also, digital art can easily be copied and whatnot, making it worth less than something on canvas. after all, we all download music on mp3 we would never pay for, so why would digital art be worth more when you can just copy.paste?

zootm
1st September 2003, 15:56
i don't think it's possible to be as expressive in a fully computer-generated piece.

Triton4
2nd September 2003, 03:56
Another reason would be that Computer Art makes use of standard templates, programmed by the makers of the software that the computer artist uses as a base to create his art.

Thus, his artwork lacks originality compared to a traditional artist who uses his own style to create it.

DragonSon
2nd September 2003, 05:16
Not necessarily, the artist does not have to use the templates originally made by the creators. Thats' what there is a paintbrush tool. If you wanted to create something totally original on the computer, you would just have to use the paintbrush tool by itself..

Triton4
2nd September 2003, 13:34
Your viewpoint is correct; but it's always convenient to draw a completely original piece of artwork on paper/canvas, than having to do it on the computer. People generally use the computer to do stuff which they find hard to do on their own. A traditional skilled artist does the hard work all by himself.

DragonSon
2nd September 2003, 19:50
True, but in some cases, the artist doesn't have a scanner for which to save to his/her computer, so drawing on the computer program itself comes in real handy.

Omega X
8th September 2003, 08:53
Its another bias that the world has to adjust to. There were a lot of new things that people wern't used to but eventually they saw the light. For example, simple rights as a citizen of the United States. Who would have thought of a woman becoming a Senator. That was an atrocity of a woman doing anything that a man did back then. But now its accepted like any other thing in the U.S.

Namelessv1
8th September 2003, 21:30
That's a great point. The more "traditional" art has been around for milleniums. In comparison, the world of computer art as we know it has only been around for a short amount of time. As time goes on, it'll be thought less of as a fad and more of as actual art.

zootm
9th September 2003, 00:40
when i see completely computer-based artwork that comes even close to other art, i'll accept it as real art.

unfortunately, few things have even come close, to date.

dlinkwit27
9th September 2003, 01:36
Originally posted by iPlayTheSpoons
very true...also, digital art can easily be copied and whatnot, making it worth less than something on canvas. after all, we all download music on mp3 we would never pay for, so why would digital art be worth more when you can just copy.paste?

but I can also just take a picure of the mona lisa.

zootm
9th September 2003, 01:40
the mona lisa has depth too, you know.

laz
9th September 2003, 01:57
I dont think it would be too hard with modernt tech to go and make a copy of the mona lisa.
I as well think it has biased. I agree with omaga x and dawg. Traditional art, has been around for a long time, but computer are started in the 80's? That is some time before it is accepted.
I dont have anything against computer art, but I dont see it ever becoming concidered traditonal art for as long as I can live.

dlinkwit27
9th September 2003, 02:03
Originally posted by zootm
the mona lisa has depth too, you know.

never seen it, but imagine it'd be kind of hard to detect the depth of it from behind the ropes.

zootm
9th September 2003, 02:04
lol, i've never seen it either, but i know it has a realism to it that you couldn't reproduce on a computer or in a photograph. they're all different media.

DragonSon
9th September 2003, 02:12
You mean to tell me that you have not ONCE seen even a PICTURE of the Mona Lisa? Please tell me, WITHOUT looking on the Internet, that you know who made it?

dlinkwit27
9th September 2003, 02:14
Originally posted by DragonSon
You mean to tell me that you have not ONCE seen even a PICTURE of the Mona Lisa? Please tell me, WITHOUT looking on the Internet, that you know who made it?

well duh I have seen it, but not in person. and it was painted by the blue ninja turtle.

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/letters/leonardo.gif

zootm
9th September 2003, 02:16
i've seen pictures of it too.

i think you missed the gist of this bit of the discussion, DragonSon :D

DragonSon
9th September 2003, 03:03
No I didn't. I just thought that you guys never even saw picures of it. Sorry about that. :D. And yes, it's by Michealangelo, dlinkwit.

zootm
9th September 2003, 03:05
michealangelo was the orange turtle. leonardo was the blue one, and the one who painted the mona lisa. WITH A SWORD.

DragonSon
9th September 2003, 03:19
I knew it was one of them.

caitcid
9th September 2003, 05:39
You know..I thought completely the opposite. It seems that computer art is more looked at than pencil art from my own personal experiences >_<

dlinkwit27
9th September 2003, 12:29
And yes, it's by Michealangelo, dlinkwit.

http://tubes.ominix.com/art/a/misc/man-with-foot-in-mouth-road-sign.png