PDA

View Full Version : Which cell phone for Shoutcast Sprint/T-Mobile?

calldon
16th October 2006, 08:27
GOAL: I want to moniter my Shoutcast stream from a cell phone.

I have Sprint but could change to T-Mobile if I had to change. I don't want to spend $300+ for a cell phone just because I want to listen.

There are so many phones but I cant tell what phone does what very well. $In the price range BELOW $300, what cell phone can pull a shoutcast stream?

When using the Sprint Internet package for streaming, is it unlimited or does it cost more past a certain number of listening minutes?

Thanks!

===============

NJK
16th October 2006, 08:33
your best bet in this is asking your provider.

do the same as with going for stream hosting

ask info!, put them next to eachother and see who's best for what price

calldon
16th October 2006, 16:13
Originally posted by spaceplay
your best bet in this is asking your provider.

do the same as with going for stream hosting

ask info!, put them next to eachother and see who's best for what price

I have done that already to a degree. Seems that the cell companies usually know the script but do not know real life. Out of four calls to customer care at T-mobile, the first three were useless, except to discover how many folks don't know what their phones are capible of. Most did not even know what "streaming audio" is or had ever head the term "aac plus."

I have been making calls for three weeks and searching forums for most of that time. I usually find more help on forums, real info from end-users who have "been there, done that" and know how to do it, and VERY MUCH help on the Shourcast forums. That's why I finally looked here. I know there are at least a few folks here listening to streaming audio on their cell phones.

But my search ain't over yet.

Thanks!

GrooveRite
16th October 2006, 19:16
I'd also like to know myself. I have Sprint and have unlimited internet on my cell phone. I am currently streaming net radio through a program called Orb (orb.com) but I dont want to be using it if I can do it directly. Does Winamp or Shoutcast have an app for cell phones?

calldon
16th October 2006, 19:28
Originally posted by GrooveRite
I'd also like to know myself. I have Sprint and have unlimited internet on my cell phone. I am currently streaming net radio through a program called Orb (orb.com) but I dont want to be using it if I can do it directly. Does Winamp or Shoutcast have an app for cell phones?

With your unlimited internet access, do you stream shoutcast? That's exactly what I am trying to do. I don't need the PDA functions of the larger phones, I just want to stream my Shoutcast station so I can monitor it when I am out and about.

Also, what Sprint phone do you use? I am going to the Sprint store in a while and there are so many. Can you stream with any of the phones that support Sprint Power Vision ($15) or just certain phones?

Thanks!
---------------------

calldon
16th October 2006, 19:31

ALSO...it seems if you can stream a shoutcast station to your phone, you could use an audio adapter in the ear-phone jack, and play the audio through your car radio, via cassette-adapter or fm adapter.

In essence, you would have Shoutcast radio in your auto. THAT is what I want ultimately, to hear my station in my car.

Hmmm...would it work?

-------------------

GrooveRite
16th October 2006, 19:44
Originally posted by calldon
ALSO...it seems if you can stream a shoutcast station to your phone, you could use an audio adapter in the ear-phone jack, and play the audio through your car radio, via cassette-adapter or fm adapter.

In essence, you would have Shoutcast radio in your auto. THAT is what I want ultimately, to hear my station in my car.

Hmmm...would it work?

-------------------

I have the A900 from Sprint with unlimited internet access. Its EVDO (high speed) aswell. Go to this thread that I started back in May from more info http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2045277#post2045277

GrooveRite
16th October 2006, 19:51
Oh and btw, YES, any phone that supports Sprints power vision ($15 monthly minimum for unlimited) should be able to handle direct streaming through Orb.

RadioRevolt
16th October 2006, 23:16
Originally posted by calldon

Hmmm...would it work?

-------------------

i know, i've been waiting on this for a long time... i know it's possible now, but not too stylish. It would be better if a wireless iPod were available with a service plan, then we could fight fm on their turf :D

calldon
17th October 2006, 01:43
Oh and btw, YES, any phone that supports Sprints power vision ($15 monthly minimum for unlimited) should be able to handle direct streaming through Orb.

So, if I understand, a computer has to be on running Orb software and the cell phone pickes it up somehow?

I don't quite understand Orb but I think it says you gotta keep a computer on at home to make the thing work.

I was hoping it would be as simple as a different media player in the cell phone to receive and play the signal of the shoutcast station.

What happens when you go to the shoutcast web site with your phone and just click on the "Listen" link?

--------------

GMPCM
17th October 2006, 01:49
Just about any phone that uses the Symbian S60 operating system can access SHOUTcast streams using this application:
Muzee (http://shop.my-symbian.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=695&jid=AX231E7398XBD3X2DDDBF14A1DB33DCC&platformId=4&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=174548)

Here (http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones) is a list of the most popular S60 phones. Just make sure the one you get will support the Sprint Broadband or Verizon EV-DO (aka 3G) Network. Most EV-DO data plans are not unlimited although you would never think that by reading their advertising hype (no per min charges but they discourage high bandwidth uses such as streaming and VOIP). Sprint is probably the best as far as data streaming is concerned.

calldon
17th October 2006, 02:59
Originally posted by GMPCM
Just about any phone that uses the Symbian S60 operating system can access SHOUTcast streams using this application:
Muzee (http://shop.my-symbian.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=695&jid=AX231E7398XBD3X2DDDBF14A1DB33DCC&platformId=4&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=174548)

Here (http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones) is a list of the most popular S60 phones. Just make sure the one you get will support the Sprint Broadband or Verizon EV-DO (aka 3G) Network.

I like the program Muzee. But I couldn't find a Sprint phone on the list.

It is amazing that, from what I see, Sprint is "behind" in providing newer phones, such as the DASH, which is not overpriced. I don't need the Blackberry or any PDA things.

I just want a "smartphone" so I can listen to shoutcast. I like the affordable $15/month internet plan they have. But without paying $400, they don't have a phone. It seems that you can't stream from their phones...without using Orb and keeping another computer going at home just for that purpose.

At this point, I will just have to wait a few months until they come up with something...which may be awhile.

--------------------------

GMPCM
17th October 2006, 17:10
Well, you could always pick up a cheap Pocket PC and use this software (http://www.gmpcm.com/filesdb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=724) to access SHOUTcast streams. I believe you can even attach a Pocket PC via bluetooth on some of the newer 3G capable phones so that you would have an internet connection even when you are not within range of a public wifi access point. That would still be a very expensive solution as the newer phones are certainly not cheap as you have pointed out.

We offer hardware (http://www.gmpcm.com/network.htm) that enables you to take a 3G internet connection with you where ever you go without a cell phone.
It operates on 12v DC and includes an AC adapter so you can use it in your car as well as in your home, office, or motel room. The VN1 is quite a bit more expensive then a simple phone solution, as it serves out the 3G internet connection over WiFi (a personal 3G enabled WiFi access point) and has many other features that a phone could never offer. Since you can place VOIP calls with the VN1 and the VOIP calls do not incur local cell phone per minute charges, it can be a much less expensive means of communication when compared to a cell phone.
The artificial intelligence software we developed, AIVMS (http://www.gmpcm.com/AIVMSfeatures.htm), was actually designed to control the VN1, but it will also run just fine on any Windows XP PC. Just thought I would point out that there are solutions other than an expensive phone that could achieve your goals.

GrooveRite
18th October 2006, 04:35
Thank you GMPCM for the info! I'll be reading into the stuff you guys have.

sputnik radio
27th February 2009, 15:20
Moodio works pretty good. If your station is not listed you can add it to the Moodio network pretty easily.

Not sure how they do it but they transcode your stream into differnet bitrates and the highest one is 56kbps stereo which sounds pretty good for a cell phone i guess.

check it out: http://www.moodio.fm

Ps. While your there feel free to add sputnik radio to your list of available stations

sputnik radio
5th March 2009, 17:10
Speaking of Cell Phones. I just got Sputnik Radio listed on Nokia Internet Radio .

I mentioned earlier that you can list your station on Moodio.fm too which is based in the Netherlands but it allows you to hear your station from your phone.

I haven't tried the Nokia Internet Radio yet because it only works with Nokia Phones.

If anyone out there has a Nokia Phone with the Nokia Internet Radio could you please look to see if Sputnik Radio is on there and if it sounds ok.

PS. For those interested you can go to http://europe.nokia.com/A41107005

to see about getting your station on Nokia Internet RAdio.

I really think with the decline of Sattellite Radio that this Internet Radio over Cell Phones is gonna be the next biggest thing. Just think I can reach people all over the world now while they are away from their computers and travelling around in their cars. Its GREAT!

What I would like to do is figure out how to create my own Mobile internet site that is just for cell phones and can stream music from it

Greg_E
5th March 2009, 20:50
I've been trying to push the cell service providers around here into allowing this type of traffic, most of them block it since most of them also offer music services. That said I did just register our aac+v2 stream.

sputnik radio
5th March 2009, 22:30
did you register it on moodio.fm or nokia?

fc*uk
5th March 2009, 23:06
Originally posted by sputnik radio
What I would like to do is figure out how to create my own Mobile internet site that is just for cell phones and can stream music from it

The problem with this type of an idea is that absolutely nothing is standard when it comes to how phones handle this sort of thing. Everyone does it differently. They need to standardize and stop trying to make money off it by selling their own streaming music services.

sputnik radio
5th March 2009, 23:14
does moodio not work for you guys ? it works fine with my samsung eternity on ATT

fc*uk
5th March 2009, 23:47
I can't get it on my iPhone.

A search of their forums verified my problem: http://www.moodio.fm/node/1382.

However, I do have access to anything listed in the yp on my iPhone thanks to the SHOUTcast app the dev team wrote for the iPhone.

The reason I bring this up is because it is not like I am dead in the water because I can't get to moodio. However, this is a great example of every manufacturer doing it differently.

Greg_E
6th March 2009, 00:13
Actually, Nokia set the standard that was adopted by the World Wide Web Consortium, most of the smart phones abide by this standard for 3G streaming. It's the carriers that are messing things up, Vcast being the biggest offender, followed by the iPhone that supports video streams but not audio streams, ending up with Nokia that doesn't even support the 3GP rtsp standard that they helped to create. Samsung is moving towards Silverlight streams for some unknown reason (straight from a guy I know that works for Samsung USA on smart phones).

And I registered for the Nokia Radio so that any Nokia phones that happen to be allowed to get the listing can use our aac+v2 stream.

sputnik radio
6th March 2009, 01:07
took them about a week to approve me . at Nokia....

sputnik radio
7th March 2009, 13:46
Originally posted by fc*uk
I can't get it on my iPhone.

A search of their forums verified my problem: http://www.moodio.fm/node/1382.

However, I do have access to anything listed in the yp on my iPhone thanks to the SHOUTcast app the dev team wrote for the iPhone.

The reason I bring this up is because it is not like I am dead in the water because I can't get to moodio. However, this is a great example of every manufacturer doing it differently.

Yeah thats the main reason why i went with the eternity instead of the iPhone. The sales guy told me that iPhone had too many built in restrictions and limitations that force you to use or "buy" their crap. With the eternity you can bypass a lot of that crap they try to force on you.

Though you cannot listen to your stream on your iPhone via Moodio you can still at least go to Moodio and create an account and then add your station to their directory so at least others can enjoy your station....I don't have a Nokia phone but I trust those that do are enjoying my station on it. LOL

odogg
13th March 2009, 20:51
To the original poster:

The Palm Centro is very cheap and comes with pocket tunes you use that to listen to your stream. I still have a Treo 700 and stream radio in the car using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo jack converter you can buy at Radio shack for 5 bucks.

And yes I know I should upgrade my phone, I'm waiting for the Pre!

Greg_E
16th March 2009, 19:51
Eleven days for approval for my stream, but they say it is listed, now if I only had a phone to test...

hazefm
17th March 2009, 03:54
A t-mobile dash with the 3rd party program tcpmp
http: // picard.exceed.hu /tcpmp/test/ <--take out the spaces
its a free player for windows mobile..

This will allow you to listen to low bitrate streams over the data connection, or high bitrate streams when in wifi mode..

Greg_E
17th March 2009, 13:01
Users are too stupid to load applications like tcpmp, they are probably too stupid to load the Nokia player on their phones, but at least I'm listed.

sputnik radio
21st March 2009, 15:59
Originally posted by Greg_E
Eleven days for approval for my stream, but they say it is listed, now if I only had a phone to test...

Yeah im listed too but have yet to see a "nokia internet radio player " on my listener stats using centova cast

Greg_E
21st March 2009, 16:15
I don't think any service providers in our area will even support this, but at least it's there and I can say I'm still trying.

sputnik radio
22nd March 2009, 18:23
My area is the world

fc*uk
23rd March 2009, 00:56
<---- my area is limited to solely the corner over there.

And, hey, I installed tcpmp on every WM device I had.

sputnik: I fixed your sig. Couldn't take it anymore (yes, obsessive compulsive does not even come close to describing me). If you don't like the fact that I actually centered it for you, just give me a hollah telling me what an idiot I am ....

sputnik radio
23rd March 2009, 18:16
Hey I had it jacked up like that for a reason . LOL JK

Greg_E
9th April 2009, 16:52
Caught a cell phone tuned into my aac+ stream:

[dest: XX.XX.XX.XX] starting stream (UID: 6164)[L: 1]{A: iRAPP/1.12.0 Series60/3.0 SymbianOS/9.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.}(P: 0)

It was of course from Europe.

Brutish Sailor
9th April 2009, 17:06
WOOT!

Good times, good times.

odogg
10th April 2009, 02:04
Check http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/ for streaming Shoutcast streams on a Winmo PDA phone (FREE).

Greg_E
10th July 2009, 13:52
Caught a couple more Nokia phones on our stream... One was from Moscow the other somewhere in Argentina. Pretty cool that this is starting to get a few hits.

voodoohippie
12th July 2009, 21:53
I am a swcast licensed station how do I get my station listed for cell phones?

Free yourself from the shackles of Top 40 and Rap!
stations.swcast.net/thelegacy

Greg_E
12th July 2009, 22:00
You will need to be able to give them a direct link to your stream. It also really needs to be aac+ at 64k or less or there could be buffing issues. I submitted my aac+v2 @32k station directly to Nokia and after they checked it put me in the listing.

voodoohippie
13th July 2009, 08:09
Thanks I guess that is out for me as I stream in 128K Mp3 format.

Greg_E
13th July 2009, 14:01
They may still take it, but I doubt most of the phones will hang on to it very well.