PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a license if you live in Australia ?

phillip0002
17th October 2006, 06:44
Hi !

Do I need a license if I live in Australia ?

P.S My stream is only a weekend based one ...

Thanks !

hackerdork
18th October 2006, 00:40
You need to find out. shoutcast.com doesnt have all the laws for every city, country, region.

you need to find out if playing copyrighted material will get you in trouble. Since its a violation in the USA, the MPAA, RIAA , FBI, Patent office and bunch of lawers could take you to court for broadcasting... sucks eh??

~ D

fc*uk
18th October 2006, 02:10
I think it also depends more upon who tunes in. For example, you might not need to pay up in AUS ... however, if you gain listeners in the US, then you might need to because of our stupid laws.

I know, I know. Stupid and yet something else you need to look into. Sucks, eh??? The fail safe way would be to simply start forking over the cash to the RIAA.... thats all the bloody bastards care about anyway...

jaycee16
18th October 2006, 04:02
hey,
Yes you do need to pay for a broadcasting license in Australia, It will cost you though, and i dont mean a few dollars here, im talking into the thousands! approx $3000
also you cant register your station into sites such as loudcity as they only cover for USA.

I would suggest only sharing the link with friends and keeping it hush hush if you dont want get caught

phillip0002
18th October 2006, 05:39
alright. This information is much appreciated so thanks very much !!! Yes the laws suck. Really suck. This is just a fun past time to get to know friends over all the world plus i'm only 13 years old so 3000 $ would be a pain in the ... ! But thanks anyways all of you !!!

fc*uk
18th October 2006, 11:56
I take it there are not many austrailian internet radio stations at those prices... shit.

Nick@ss
18th October 2006, 12:58
Originally posted by fc*uk
I think it also depends more upon who tunes in. For example, you might not need to pay up in AUS ... however, if you gain listeners in the US, then you might need to because of our stupid laws.

I know, I know. Stupid and yet something else you need to look into. Sucks, eh??? The fail safe way would be to simply start forking over the cash to the RIAA.... thats all the bloody bastards care about anyway...

agreed ... this is how its going these days,,

uk agencies allowing you to stream in the uk only and the us is going the same way as they only license in their own countries

we have introduced geo locked streams so that our clients can aim at whatever countries they are licensed for and nowhere else can tune in.

sad but true...these licensing agencies should really start to talk to each other as they might learn something and make a few bucks...

RadioOZ
18th October 2006, 13:49
It depends how you go about setting up your station.

Loudcity is quite a pain in the ass when it comes to licencing because they are very restricted on what you can do and cant do.

Your best bet is to go direct to BMI.

The station i co-own is based in australia (Canberra and Adelaide) and we are fully licenced through BMI and it didnt cost us an arm and a leg.

Also, im 99% sure that this is covered through APRA too

phillip0002
19th October 2006, 05:43
Thanks especially to RadioOZ.

The things is that my stream isn't so much a station as I can only hold up to 8 listeners and I only broadcast on weekends. And I wouldn't want to pay for a licence nor server for my age.

So I don't think I would have to worry as much ... I will keep my stream kind of hush hush.

Some of the artists I broadcast aren't Aussie but what is BMI and APRA aimed at apart from licencing ? And it's free is it ?

Thanks !

jaycee16
19th October 2006, 09:27
RadioOz could you please list hte website of BMI as a google search only gave me a whole bunch of Body Mass Index sites lol

Oh and how much did you have to pay or are paying monthls/yearly?

Cheers,
Jonny

RadioOZ
19th October 2006, 14:04
http://www.bmi.com/
http://www.bmi.com/licensing/broadcaster/radio/ (licencing section)

If u cant find what you are after there, ur best bet is to email them directly.

Brief history on BMI (if you dont know what it is)

BMI is an American performing rights organization that represents more than 300,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers in all genres of music. The non-profit-making company, founded in 1939, collects license fees on behalf of those American creators it represents, as well as thousands of creators from around the world who chose BMI for representation. The license fees BMI collects for the "public performances" of its repertoire of more than 6.5 million compositions - including radio airplay, broadcast and cable television carriage, Internet and live and recorded performances by all other users of music - are then distributed as royalties to the writers, composers and copyright holders it represents

APRA = Australasian Performing Right Association (is pretty much the same thing)

Depending on the licence you get the price will vary, it can be from a couple hundred a year to a couple thousand a year.

Like i said b4, i am a part of a network which has proper PPL licence so it is decently priced for us.

Hope this helps a bit.