PDA

View Full Version : Shoutcast development? Source?

penasco
17th October 2006, 14:04
Just curious - are people still actively developing Shoutcast? And do the Shoutcast folks ever make the source available, or is it completely 100% closed at this point?

SC's a great app, it's been rock solid for me so far but I'm wondering about the state of it's development - if anything's 'on the drawing board' for the future.

I know there have been ongoing bugfixes but it doesn't look like anything 'new' has been rolled into the releases since 2004.

-penasco

CraigF
17th October 2006, 15:18
It's safe to assume that at this time development is focused on Winamp rather than shoutcast.

Sawg
17th October 2006, 18:13
And SHOUTcast is closed source.

NJK
17th October 2006, 20:36
Originally posted by penasco

I know there have been ongoing bugfixes but it doesn't look like anything 'new' has been rolled into the releases since 2004.

I don't see AAC+ streaming that has been added as a " bugfix" but as a major new release

RadioRevolt
18th October 2006, 03:18
Originally posted by spaceplay
I don't see AAC+ streaming that has been added as a " bugfix" but as a major new release
agreed, but AOL could clean up the setup, allow stations to add yahoo, msn and xfire addresses... maybe even a myspace page field.

that's a big gripe from me.

maybe they could also include the entire YP in their "AOL RADIO" instead of select special stations... another gripe, but that has nothing to do with the program, more of how AOL carved their shoutcast users into two groups.

penasco
18th October 2006, 14:49
Whoops - ok, so AAC was new, you're right :)

I was referencing the 'Version History' in the README for 1.9.7 and they kinda left AAC addition out of the feature list ...

Jay
19th October 2006, 06:50
well technically the DNAS did not need modification to handle aacPlus. That was a DSP update.