PDA

View Full Version : Hosting

doubleone
21st October 2006, 19:57
Quick question, been through all the guides but cant find a definitive answer to my question.

I have a hosting account where I host my website.

Can I setup shoutcast server on this ?

Thanks in advance for the kind assistance.:)

Sawg
21st October 2006, 21:05
For a "definitive answer" you would want to ask them, It's their server and their acceptable use policy.

But it would have to be a dedicated server and you would need SSH/Telnet access.

hackerdork
22nd October 2006, 00:21
Like Sawg stated its up to your host. If you have a web hosting account, you may have a control panel to maintain your web and email, but if you do not have the ability to install programs, daemons etc directly onto the server then you wont run shoutcast. Either your host has to install it, allow it and setup a control panel, or you need the ability to telnet/ssh to the server, download and install shoutcast then run it in the background. ALl this leads to very much bandwidth compared to what a web site would get. Even at 64kbps stream you can use up several 100GB a month of bandwidth.

Talk to the hosting company, and make sure shoutcasting is part of the TOS (terms of service)

Cheers

~ D

RadioRevolt
22nd October 2006, 02:59
i agree with the above, asking your host is your most productive course of action.

Nick@ss
22nd October 2006, 12:00
generally the answer is No you cannot do this.

once you have checked with your host and had your answer you can check http://www.radiotoolbox.com/hosts for a reviewed list of hosts

SLR
22nd October 2006, 22:03
Most web hosts do not allow users 'Shell' access (which you will need to run a Shoutcast server with.)

Secondly, most web server plans allow you a fixed amount of monthly bandwidth. In general (but not always) - this bandwidth would not meet the requirements you would need in order to broadcast a stream to listeners via Shoutcast.

As Nick said - a good start is to have a look at the various hosts listed at http://www.radiotoolbox.com/hosts

Good luck and ask more questions here if you need further clarification.