PDA

View Full Version : ondemand and symlinks to mp3s

voidtrance
11th November 2006, 23:36
I am trying to use ShoutCast's ondemand feature in the following situation:

I have an /etc/init.d script which starts the server and streamer. However, before that happens, the script goes through the directory where all the mp3s are and creates symlinks to the mp3 in the shoutcast's content dir.

The reason I am doing this is that the mp3 change all the time, plus most of them contain spaces in the filename and the link creating process replaces the spaces with underscores in the link name.

However, the DNAS server does not seem to find the content. It keeps sending the "invalid resource" error message.

Does the DNAS server work with symlinks pointing to actuall mp3's?

sputnik radio
12th November 2006, 13:11
are you using sc trans?

fc*uk
12th November 2006, 15:35
1. be sure you are giving the full path to the content directory.

2. I am not so sure this is the intention of that ./content directory. So, it might not work like that.

3. Write a simply script that scans the folder that your mp3's are dumped into and have the script output the names of the files along with the full path to a text file that gets renamed to a pls file. Have sc_trans load that playlist file when the program starts via your init.d script.

voidtrance
13th November 2006, 00:58
Thanks for the replies! I am using sc_trans but the ondemand feature of the DNAS server doesn't have anything to do with that, right?

The content dictory is specified by a full path in the sc_serv.conf file and the links are created before the server gets started. That way, even if the server does some scanning itself, it should see the files.

The thing that I am concerned about is whether the sc_serv (the DNAS server) does a stat() on the links, sees that they are just symlinks and, therefore, ignores them?

fc*uk
13th November 2006, 01:01
it very well might be ignoring the simlinks. I know it can be VERY picky about the file name and paths of the files...

I know the ondemand does not act how many people think it does. I have personally never used it, but maybe someone else can come along and confirm if this can be done...

voidtrance
13th November 2006, 19:38
Issue is fixed! See here (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259452)

fc*uk
13th November 2006, 22:44
I am still a little lost at how opera has anything to do with sc_trans finding your content....

Perhaps you posted the wrong question???

as spaceplay pointed out: your problem has nothing to do with on demand content, but with the choice of a web browser.