PDA

View Full Version : has anyones winamp ever crashed while streaming?

sputnik radio
15th November 2006, 12:33
I woke this morning to come in my studio and check on things.

My winamp was still playing the same song it was stuck just making this like death ray sound . it was still upstreaming to my server and everything but when you tune in to listen to the stream it just sounded like this death ray repeating over and over again.

from what i can tell its been doing it since 3 am. Thats when all my listeners left.

anybody have any ideas why?

also on an unrelated note. One of my computers when i came in here this morning was logged off . Meaning it was on but it was on the screen that ask you to click your user icon and enter password to log into windows.

I left it logged on when i went to bed so i dont know how it logged itself out.

I have the power options set on always on. so i dont know.

djSpinnerCee
15th November 2006, 13:44
I use WinShares for some of the files that WinAMP plays -- this includes both local and remote files that are accessed via logical mapped drives -- if the remote box goes offline (disconnecting the shared drive), or the local network interface transitions on/off line (because the router/switch rebooted, etc...), the TCP stack in WinXP will re-load (closing open files) -- WinAMP can get stuck on the same track and will require intervention.

It happens, just restart the track, or restart WinaMP.

The other box may have rebooted, displaying the initial "Welcome" screen -- that happens too. Different hardware is more/less sensitive to power fluctuations, so you may have had a power-related episode. What was the weather like last night? You can visit the Win event log (System) to see if it rebooted or just logged off the current user.

If there is no interaction between the two boxes, and you don't use mapped logical drives and/or shares, WinAMP just "burped" -- possibly due to another app on the same PC consuming all of the PCs CPU -- in this case, the little play "dot" (WinAMP 2.8x has it) may be cycling from green to red, indicating that WinAMP is having trouble reading, decoding and outputing the currrent MP3 on time.

If it never happened before, just move on -- since it happened in the forest with no one watching you may never find out what "really" happened.

sputnik radio
15th November 2006, 14:54
Originally posted by djSpinnerCee
I use WinShares for some of the files that WinAMP plays -- this includes both local and remote files that are accessed via logical mapped drives -- if the remote box goes offline (disconnecting the shared drive), or the local network interface transitions on/off line (because the router/switch rebooted, etc...), the TCP stack in WinXP will re-load (closing open files) -- WinAMP can get stuck on the same track and will require intervention.

It happens, just restart the track, or restart WinaMP.

The other box may have rebooted, displaying the initial "Welcome" screen -- that happens too. Different hardware is more/less sensitive to power fluctuations, so you may have had a power-related episode. What was the weather like last night? You can visit the Win event log (System) to see if it rebooted or just logged off the current user.

If there is no interaction between the two boxes, and you don't use mapped logical drives and/or shares, WinAMP just "burped" -- possibly due to another app on the same PC consuming all of the PCs CPU -- in this case, the little play "dot" (WinAMP 2.8x has it) may be cycling from green to red, indicating that WinAMP is having trouble reading, decoding and outputing the currrent MP3 on time.

If it never happened before, just move on -- since it happened in the forest with no one watching you may never find out what "really" happened.

Yeah that is probably what happend.

I have two computers hooked on network using router.

computer one stores all my songs because its a bigger hard drive

computer two streams my music . my playlist file is on computer two but all the songs are on computer one.

that is probably what happened.

Now i just got to figure out why my computer rebooted at 3 am.

sputnik radio
16th November 2006, 12:37
well this morning computer number 2 the one i use to stream had rebooted in the middle of the night.

I don't get it. why are my computers rebooting in the night while i sleep?

is it a hacker?

dotme
16th November 2006, 12:44
Check "Automatic Updates" - This is the time of month when MS sends out patches. If your machines are set to automatically update and reboot when done, that might be what's going on. (I got nailed by that one yesterday on a server I built at the beginning of November. Forgot to turn off Auto Updates. Dumped 700 listeners. Woops).

djSpinnerCee
16th November 2006, 14:11
Yep, that'll do it -- also check your Win Task Scheduler service if it is enabled -- applications may place (update) tasks in there that are scheduled to run during the wee hours of the AM.

You can also disable the forced rebooting of your Win boxes when an update requires them by editing/adding some RegKeys:

HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\
"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

You can also do this by using the group policy editor with Win "pro/server" versions:

Start > Run "gpedit.msc" to bring up the group policy editor. Then navigate to the folder

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update...

enable No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations

sputnik radio
16th November 2006, 14:38
Thanks a bunch guys.

i will just turn automatic updates off and just do them manually once a week.

I have been experimenting with different bit rates.

and man..... 46kbps with aacplus. I cant tell the difference between it and 96kbps with aacplus.

the sound is amazing for 46kbps.

Man i wish more people where aware of that because ive been experimenting with getting listners. And i've noticed I get way more listners with the higher bitrate. I suppose when they are looking for stations in the winamp medialibrary some people only listen to high bitrate streams thinking that anything lower will suck.

I just don't know how some of you guys do it.

like dotme with 700 plus listeners and shit.

how do you pay for that stuff ? are you rich or something?

Im hoping that this bid4ads comes out soon so i can start trying to break even so i can increase my listener count.

for a hobby it cost just too much to do this streaming with so many listenres. keeping my listeners at or around 100 max is all i can afford until i get some paid sponsors or something.

I wish one of you guys would PM me with your secrets.

fc*uk
16th November 2006, 21:58
aac+ is amazing. personally, I look at the type of the stream and will decide what bitrate I will listen to. If it is MP3, then nothing lower than 96k. If it aac+, like you said, I'll go down to 48 or so.

Personally, I thought you were off your rocker sending an aac+ stream out at 96k. 64k aac+ is about the same as 128k mp3, hence the reason why 48k sounds so damn good (96k mp3).

But, you are correct, it is too damn bad more people do not know that.

As for your computer rebooting/problems, use linux!!! The rebooting is probably a windows update issue. However the freezing/getting stuck/locking up may be something else.

How often is your router setup to dish out a new IP address to you computers? This could be causing the lockups as well. Computer gets a new address and the others does not have the slightest idea where its friend went.

tuckerm
16th November 2006, 22:11
Originally posted by sputnik radio
like dotme with 700 plus listeners and shit.

how do you pay for that stuff ? are you rich or something?

John is the richest guy i know :):up:

sputnik radio
16th November 2006, 23:12
Originally posted by fc*uk
aac+ is amazing. personally, I look at the type of the stream and will decide what bitrate I will listen to. If it is MP3, then nothing lower than 96k. If it aac+, like you said, I'll go down to 48 or so.

Personally, I thought you were off your rocker sending an aac+ stream out at 96k. 64k aac+ is about the same as 128k mp3, hence the reason why 48k sounds so damn good (96k mp3).

But, you are correct, it is too damn bad more people do not know that.

As for your computer rebooting/problems, use linux!!! The rebooting is probably a windows update issue. However the freezing/getting stuck/locking up may be something else.

How often is your router setup to dish out a new IP address to you computers? This could be causing the lockups as well. Computer gets a new address and the others does not have the slightest idea where its friend went.

i just turned my updates off auto. I think that should fix it.

my router keeps the same IP with these computers. They are always the same. If it does change them it hasnt happned in months.

djSpinnerCee
17th November 2006, 00:50
I think he's referring to DHCP lease renewal -- some boxes (the TCP stack implimentation actually) instead of following the spec and simply renewing at half the lease time, will actually perform a release/renew -- this tears down the interface and all established connections and forces them to re-establish (with the same IP address) -- this does happen very fast most of the time, but it will cause latency on an active stream (an underrun in DNAS-speak) -- the sensitivity to this depends upon how the application-specific TCP connection was set-up to recover from this event (buffering, retries, time-outs, etc...).

Windows being as smart (sic.) as it tries to be, other funny things can happen when Windows realizes that a network interface is down...

dotme
17th November 2006, 02:36
Originally posted by tuckerm
John is the richest guy i know :):up:

lmao!!

Just for the record, I have two 12 year olds, a full time job, a part time job, a mortgage... the list goes on.

ASF is my hobby. It is 100% audience supported, and because it is donation-driven, I do not, and will not, make a profit.

I raise enough money each month to pay the bills the station generates, and not one penny more. Until a kind soul from AOL comes along and offers me free bandwidth, the station will continue to exist purely due to the generosity of the listeners.

:)

tuckerm
17th November 2006, 12:15
That's cool though that ASF is your hobby, I'm glad it's working out :)

sputnik radio
17th November 2006, 12:31
Originally posted by dotme
lmao!!

Just for the record, I have two 12 year olds, a full time job, a part time job, a mortgage... the list goes on.

ASF is my hobby. It is 100% audience supported, and because it is donation-driven, I do not, and will not, make a profit.

I raise enough money each month to pay the bills the station generates, and not one penny more. Until a kind soul from AOL comes along and offers me free bandwidth, the station will continue to exist purely due to the generosity of the listeners.

:)

so did you start off small paying for it yourself until your listner base was big enough to start making contributions?

where are you gettting your bandwith?

dotme
17th November 2006, 18:42
Originally posted by sputnik radio
so did you start off small paying for it yourself until your listner base was big enough to start making contributions?

where are you gettting your bandwith?
1) Yes
2) Listener donations fund the bandwidth. I use a mix of stream hosts (StreamSolutions and Fast-Serv) and I rent dedicated servers.

fc*uk
17th November 2006, 22:55
amazing how far (and well) you have made it dotme!!!!

sputnik radio
17th November 2006, 23:57
move over bacon get ready for sizzlean!!!