PDA

View Full Version : New Sc_trans ?

Jkey
25th November 2006, 11:50
I know a while ago there was development on
a new version of sc_trans but there was a problem
getting aacplus to work on linux.

Has development on this new version stopped ?
i have not heard anything for a long while.

bored_womble
25th November 2006, 13:42
i suspect licensing for aacplus might be an issue for linux, although there are libs for flaac which could be used, but perhaps not what people are after.

is aac the stream of choice these days ? i know winamp supports it, and I believe you can force windows media player to even work, but is it a path too far for the new generation of click and listen people ... ??

BW

fc*uk
25th November 2006, 13:50
I love aac+ for one simply reason: equal sound quality to mp3 in half the bitrate. Makes streaming more affordable, or at least you can get more bang for your buck.

I really wish orban would get off their high horse and release the information necessary to make a codec for linux. It would be very nice...

But then again the god damned dvd forum still has not released the dvd decoders for linux. Hence the need for the entire linux world to use DeCSS. Then that ended up biting them in the ass because someone brought that to the windows world and now we can copy dvds. Well, guess what guys??? If you would have released the dvd decoders for linux 'dvd jon' would have never gotten a fire lit under his ass to break the dvd decryption so linux users could play the disc.

I have a very strong feeling that people are working on aac+ even as I write this. Should only be a matter of time...

bored_womble
25th November 2006, 13:56
the think that springs to mind

patent
copyright
license fees

BW

tuckerm
25th November 2006, 13:58
Originally posted by bored_womble
i suspect licensing for aacplus might be an issue for linux, although there are libs for flaac which could be used, but perhaps not what people are after.

is aac the stream of choice these days ? i know winamp supports it, and I believe you can force windows media player to even work, but is it a path too far for the new generation of click and listen people ... ??

BW

I've attempted to stream in aac+ but it always ends up as my media player links b0rk and people are to lazy to download codecs, etc. I like aacPlus to listen to, i listen to Soma FM's aac+ streams because it sounds just as good as 128k but takes less bandwidth, that's cool in my book any day.

fc*uk
25th November 2006, 14:17
Originally posted by bored_womble
the think that springs to mind

patent
copyright
license fees

BW

I agree with you. Same problem people faced for DVDs too. The linux community "found a way around all that"; legal or not.

Granted, if aac+ happens to come to linux and it is not by orban (which it most likely will not be because of the three reasons you mentioned) there is about a 99.9% chance that it will be done illegally.

bored_womble
25th November 2006, 15:13
you could simple of course just write an AAC streamer, no transcoding involved, so using something like iTunes or similar to create the files into AAC for you, then just play them out ...

BW

fc*uk
25th November 2006, 15:25
very true.

Actually, my thoughts on the matter were very simple. Use crossover office to run iTunes and use something like MuSE to direct the line in stream of iTunes to sc_serv.

Might work and something that I had intended to take a look at. However, all of the streams on the linux boxes that I deal with never go to the outside world. So, I never got too motivated to look into to because I did not care if I was shoving out a 128k, 192k, or even a 320k stream because it is only gutting pushed around the lan.

I figured I would just deal with Windows for the public streams...

Jkey
25th November 2006, 21:54
The only real reason i asked is because
for one of my stations i have to virtually dedicate
an entire box running windows via vmserver/linux
just to use aacplus which seems to be very popular
among winamp xine/vlc listeners.
its just wastefull when that box could be used for
housing shoutcast dnas and other stuff.
if there was a linux aacplus streamer i could half cpu
and memory usage over night by turning off vmserver.

ive compiled the aacplus encoder thats floating
around on google it seems to work fine on linux.
so as stated maybe its just a license problem.

bored_womble
25th November 2006, 23:18
if you are that desperate for aac, just use streamtranscoder 3, which if you have the latest version of winamp and dsp 1.9.0 ... can do aacplus ... with quite low CPU usage :)

having done alot of work on a consulting basis over the last couple of years, it appears the tide is turning towards Windows Media, although i will admit the quality is somewhat lower than AAC, the masses do find it easier to watch/listen to, so except for the niche stations and some genres i think AAC might take longer to get off the ground than initially hoped ..

BW

fc*uk
26th November 2006, 02:16
for what it is worth I personally hate wmp and anything to do with it....

Jkey
26th November 2006, 03:05
if you are that desperate for aac, just use streamtranscoder 3

ive found that the windows version is very unstable
although i use the linux version on a 24/7 basis ;)

for what it is worth I personally hate wmp and anything to do with it....

i cant listen to wm longer than 5 mins the quality
is terrible.
but i will look into it if what bored_womble says is true.
after all the goal is to reach as many listeners as possible
and if that means trying out wm then so be it.

just a shame aacplus is taking so long to kick off
the formats quality is outstanding.

fc*uk
26th November 2006, 15:21
I do believe that bored_womble is indeed correct. Many people are turning to wmp simply because it is packaged with windows and everything is already setup for them.

I however believe it to be a little bloated and, in my opinion, it does not do everything well. For example, I believe that winamp is a much better audio player than wmp; I believe bsplayer is a better video player than wmp; I will not however use winamp to play video and bsplayer to play audio.

It all does come down to personal preference, which everyone should have the ability to choose what they want.

Jay
27th November 2006, 23:50
just an fyi orban has nothing to do with aacplus source. Coding technologies and Fraunhaufer are who you should be bitching at.

sputnik radio
28th November 2006, 00:41
not to mention that winamp has like scores of plugins and visualizations and stuff that wmp just dont offer.

I mean how the hell am i supposed to watch my "visualize her" plugin form mojo master on wmp?

rockouthippie
28th November 2006, 00:54
Originally posted by fc*uk
I do believe that bored_womble is indeed correct. Many people are turning to wmp simply because it is packaged with windows and everything is already setup for them.

People won't load anything, people won't read anything. If it doesn't install automatically, it isn't gonna happen.

So MP3 for audio, because it always works, flash and windows media for the rest of it.

I'd love to use shoutcast for my tv web, but nobody will load the activex control and most people wouldn't load Winamp.

Bottom line. If your web makes anyone have to install or do anything, you're screwed. They'll either not install the software or bug you to death with tech support or both.

So, grudgingly, you design for the windows environment.

When in Rome.

fc*uk
28th November 2006, 02:13
I would also like to add that people will not try new software.

I rebuilt my fathers computer a while ago and in the overhaul I upgraded OSes. I also threw on Winamp. Two years later he asks me about audio streams and audio players. Then he asks me what the hell winamp was for.

Point being: he already had it loaded and still did not use it.

fc*uk
28th November 2006, 02:15
Originally posted by KXRM
just an fyi orban has nothing to do with aacplus source. Coding technologies and Fraunhaufer are who you should be bitching at.

yes indeed you are correct. I misspoke. Knew it was coding et al, but for some reason orban came out...

sputnik radio
28th November 2006, 12:51
I use aacplus for pretty much everything.

If a vistitor to my website is to dumb and set in their ways to download winamp or at least the orbin plugin then they are the ones missing out. No sweat off my nads....If you dont listen you just dont know what your missin.

bored_womble
28th November 2006, 13:32
only one comment really ...

making your potential market smaller ...

BW

Jkey
28th November 2006, 14:30
when i started this thread it was origonally
to find out if sc_trans is still being devolped :P

And since i converted to aacplus ive had a stack
of mail requesting i bring back my high quality
mp3 streams by people using wmp/real/itunes etc.
but winamp,xine and vlc listeners love the aacplus streams.

Jay
28th November 2006, 17:34
ask them to put pressure on those players to adopt new tech.

sputnik radio
28th November 2006, 19:12
I had an ephinay about new streaming technology

dont know if it will really work

but the idea is not streaming at all but anti streaming

instead of the servers sending a stream to the listners

the listners send a stream of data to the server . Then the listeners computer or PLAYER or whatever detects that the stream is being sent out.

The server recieves the stream and plays the song on its server the song is binary data so whenver there is a ONE the stream is recieved from the listener whenver there is ZERO the stream is not recieved.

ON the lisnters end the listners computer detecst when the stream is going out and when it is not . This sequence of outs and not outs is binary information that can then be encoded with your player into playable data.

prolly wouldnt work but i call it anti-stream

This idea brought to you by:

VAPOR BROTHERS

http://www.growkind.com/images/vapordocs.jpg

fc*uk
28th November 2006, 20:36
Originally posted by Jkey
when i started this thread it was origonally
to find out if sc_trans is still being devolped :P

Honestly, I am not too sure if anyone knows if sc_trans is still being developed or not.

If it is being developed, I would not count on aac+ coming along with it for the ride...

Tag
3rd December 2006, 06:39
I have begun work on revamping sc_trans(I wrote it in the first place). WAV, MP3, OGG, AAC(+), FLAC input... Multiple AAC+, MP3, OGG output-to-servers. Web interface. Remote DJ control (ala dsp_sc). Live Archival. 'Industry Hour Wheel' style promotional shotguns/ad's. Multi-level "Guest Mp3j" support. Crossfade rulesets (eg: Less than 30 second clip, dont x-fade into, or out of).

Please let me know what other features you'd like to see in sc_trans 2.0

Jkey
3rd December 2006, 13:56

less cpu usage tag ;)

for now i would just be happy with aac+ support.

and if possible a timeframe for deployment please:)

edit: oh shoutcast dnas relay support

fc*uk
3rd December 2006, 14:26
Originally posted by Tag
I have begun work on revamping sc_trans(I wrote it in the first place). WAV, MP3, OGG, AAC(+), FLAC input... Multiple AAC+, MP3, OGG output-to-servers. Web interface. Remote DJ control (ala dsp_sc). Live Archival. 'Industry Hour Wheel' style promotional shotguns/ad's. Multi-level "Guest Mp3j" support. Crossfade rulesets (eg: Less than 30 second clip, dont x-fade into, or out of).

My god. Talk about an overhaul!!! Honestly, Tag that does address just about all of the complaints that I had concerning sc_trans.

I would also say that the web interface would be nice to have but if you are setting something like this up on a *nix box, then you ought to know what you are doing. But then again, I think of all the sc_trans problems I have helped people with tech support... so maybe it is a good idea to have that :)

Oh, and I will be happy with the good old redhat answer to when it is going to be released "it will be ready when it is ready. Right now, it is not ready".

Thanks for the update!

twshadow101
13th December 2006, 12:00
Long as it has Debian Linux support! :D Im using Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS.

Peacimowen
6th January 2007, 22:34
Please let me know what other features you'd like to see in sc_trans 2.0 [/B]

I'm mostly interested in an easier way to change the playlist while casting.

oreonix
8th January 2007, 00:45
Oh and dont forget working id3 tag support for sc_trans ;-P

twshadow101
8th January 2007, 00:50
I'd like to just have a playlist feature that we can set up certain tracks to play at certain times, and to also have rotation rules of some sort. So if we are licensed through Loudcity or SWCast we won't repeat a song under a certain time or play the same artist in a certain amount of time.

As well as the basics too, working id3 tags.

And, with the aacPlus add on for sc_trans this should be an aamzing upgrade from sc_trans 1.0. I am crossing my fingers that the aacPlus part will work on Linux. :)

Tag give us an update on how things are going, please. ;)

fc*uk
13th January 2007, 20:02
Originally posted by twshadow101
I'd like to just have a playlist feature that we can set up certain tracks to play at certain times, and to also have rotation rules of some sort. So if we are licensed through Loudcity or SWCast we won't repeat a song under a certain time or play the same artist in a certain amount of time.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I mean hell. My servers generally run with playlists of about 400-600 songs. Songs get rotated in and out depending upon what people like jacking into then. If I find a lot of people are going for a particular artist, I load the playlist up with that artist. If too many songs play within the set period of time and someone ever called me out on it, I'd say: "Look 400 songs are setup here and it on a random shuffle. Yeah, sometimes it might happen. However, it aint like I am playing 50 songs from three different artists over and over again" .... which I think is really the point of that... stops someone from broadcasting an entire CD for people to rip it...

webta
21st January 2007, 16:40
Originally posted by Tag
I have begun work on revamping sc_trans(I wrote it in the first place). ...

That's great news, really!

Is there anything we can do to speed up v2 development?
Beta testing?

We've been trying to get StreamTranscoder v3 to correctly handle AAC+.
On Linux/FAAC it just segfaults and on Windows/enc_aacplus.dll it fails with configuration error.
Going to try to plug 3GPP's encoder into it, but have a feeling that its a deadend.

twshadow101
21st January 2007, 17:05
I'd love to give a beta test a go. If one was offered. I use shuffle as well and it would be nice to have a simple small playlist script allowing shuffle but also where it allows every 5 or so songs you can insert a sweeper or promo. I know Jay's MP3ToolBox script does it. So I wouldnt think it would be too hard for Nullsoft to do the same.

triune
29th March 2007, 19:28
please setup some sort of webpage with info on sc_trans 2.0 or give me the info and i'll do it! id love to kick the tires on any alpha version of 2.o there is! sharing is caring, please kick out a test version for all of us punters who can stand the lack of id3 support in v0.4 !!

cheers!

fc*uk
29th March 2007, 22:44
t'will be ready when its ready.

Just like the old released of RedHat....

triune
19th April 2007, 18:37
any updates?

feature requests>

1) proper id3 tags (id3v2 as well) with possible id3 rules such as report id3v2 first and fall back to id3v1 - never report id3 comments, etc...

2) ability to stream to 2 shoutcast servers at the same time, fer instance stream mp3 to one on port 8000 and stream aac+ to another on port 8001

keep up the good work and lets hope its released soon :)

Jeeper One
20th April 2007, 04:20
Hi everyone:Originally posted by rockouthippie
I'd love to use shoutcast for my tv web, but nobody will load the activex control and most people wouldn't load Winamp.Now that my TV station is back on SHOUTcast (I've given up on trying to make Windows Media work the way I want it to), I don't plan to offer an ActiveX viewer on the website. I'll just offer the external player link and indicate that a H.264 decoder of some kind is required.Originally posted by rockouthippie Bottom line. If your web makes anyone have to install or do anything, you're screwed. They'll either not install the software or bug you to death with tech support or both.But since H.264 is a codec as well, I suspect that not too many people will mind downloading and installing it (That said though, it'd be helpful if H.264 were natively supported beginning with the next upgrade)Originally posted by rockouthippie So, grudgingly, you design for the windows environment.Tragically yes. :(

But when Windows users try to design for the Windows environment, it either can't be done or is near impossible to do. A GLARING example is my radio station. As I type this, it is offline because, of all things, I can't get Windows Media Encoder to load a bunch of WMA files to form a playlist to broadcast with (I have access to a FREE Windows Media streaming host (http://www.streamwebtown.com/) so that is no problem).

Ironic isn't it? I can stream my TV station with no problem at all, yet I can't get my radio station on the air to save my soul unless I were to put it too on SHOUTcast (And suck up the rest of my bandwidth in the process).

The whole idea behind signing up with the aforementioned host was to get hosting for the radio station. But I suppose it just goes to show one thing - You get what you pay for.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Cheers :D

Pat (ala Jeeper One)

eidolon
2nd May 2007, 07:14
Originally posted by Tag

So, it's like, 5 months later, any progress Tag?

I was, *ahem* "hired" a few years ago to do just this and redo shoutcast.com, signed NDA with AOL, got sc_trans source, and then pretty much AOL stopped caring..?

I'd love to help if you're actually going to do this, if not, I'm going to start my own from scratch and open source it.

j

Jkey
4th May 2007, 20:28
it has been a while,guess tag is just too busy at the moment.

I was, *ahem* "hired" a few years ago to do just this and redo shoutcast.com, signed NDA with AOL, got sc_trans source, and then pretty much AOL stopped caring..?

Is a shame SOMEONE with the source code couldnt
help others in the community by *AHEM* releasing/making
public if they still have it ;) Id love to have a play with
it personally :D.

eidolon
4th May 2007, 22:09
Originally posted by Jkey
it has been a while,guess tag is just too busy at the moment.

Is a shame SOMEONE with the source code couldnt
help others in the community by *AHEM* releasing/making
public if they still have it ;) Id love to have a play with
it personally :D.

Unfortunately, as I said I did sign an NDA, though I think it *may* have expired, I do not want to take any risks as the whole deal with AOL at the time was severely sketchy.

Besides, the code is many years old, I was thinking of doing something much more modern, web-based and portable.

eidolon
4th May 2007, 22:10
I'm going to start now.

bored_womble
6th May 2007, 07:29
so we will expect to see something ?

six months ish ?

BW

eidolon
17th May 2007, 02:43
nah sooner..

qfwfq
6th June 2007, 01:24
Hi all,

i'm working on a simple sc_trans web interface. I have a working draft and i'm testing it right now.

I'm happy see people interested in sc_trans as i was thinking it was a died project. I found it very useful.

My interface is developed in php and have all basic sc_trans functionality start/stop/restart. I let user upload music and build playlist from there.

- id3 support
- metadata lock (be able to force the title of the current song)

eidolon
6th June 2007, 07:00
mine has a full nice ajaxy web interface :weird:
two more weeks and a beta should be reddi

qfwfq
6th June 2007, 13:11
that's good!
do you think it could be possible to add this "metadata lock" feature?

regards,
carlo.

eidolon
6th June 2007, 18:07
As in, meta data shift to prevent accurate stream ripping?

qfwfq
6th June 2007, 22:46
i mean to force to a given value the string that will be used by shoutast as 'current song'.

jujuman
6th July 2007, 08:58
Hello everyone,

Eidolon thank you for keeping sc_trans alive by re-inventing it :) How is the progress?

I love sc_trans because it's simple to use and I can easily run it on my nix shoutcast server as autodj. I also built a simple PHP control interface for sc_trans like qfwfq. It can start/stop stream, lets you build playlist off the local drive and can change/reload playlists. My main problem is that sc_trans has bugs in 2.6 kernel like stopping for no apparent reason and it lacks ID3 support.

I think re-writing the code will solve the bugs with kernel 2.6 anyway, so it would be awesome. I would be interested in helping with testing if needed.

Good luck!

eidolon
6th July 2007, 20:06
Progress is still in it's beginning stages, I have a lot on my hands at the moment..

I would like to take a look at your php management bceause I'm going to do an ajax management niterface so..

I've also had no issues running sc_trans 0.400 on 2.6.x so far.

One thing to note about sc_trans, hidden trick, /dev/null as first song in your playlist, I think that might help solve your problem..

eidolon
6th July 2007, 20:08
i think that may have had to do with songs repeating though, like randomization not working properly

DeepFreeze.NL
7th August 2007, 10:17
eidolon, thanks for rebuilding sc_trans :up:. Maybe i am too early to ask, but how is the progress? You will make many people happy with a new version of sc_trans! If you need some testers just ask it in this topic!

eidolon
7th August 2007, 21:27
In about two weeks I should have picked a name, launched a site and started a beta, let's hope!

:up: donations welcome

DeepFreeze.NL
7th September 2007, 16:15
Eidolon, how is the progress? Do you need some testers already? It would be great to test it on our radio: DeepFreeze Pure Progressive Radio - deepfreeze.nl!

eidolon
7th September 2007, 17:24
Hey, sorry I haven't been able to post anything working yet, web & gps development has been taking over my life.

Since there seems to be some growing interest I'll definitely get on getting this working ASAP.

DeepFreeze.NL
18th September 2007, 10:02
Eidolon,

I've been looking for usefull software for our radio. This looks good: Centova Cast v1.1.2

http://castdemo.centova.com/index.php?page=accounts

Maybe you can use it for some new ideas?!

BELLonline
20th September 2007, 12:40
I'd quite happily pay/donate for an updated sc_trans with ID3 support :D

As far as features go, I'm not sure how possible it would be to support re-encoding of sample rates/channels but that would be nice :D

chuckeh
22nd September 2007, 00:04
The possibility to host more than 1 stream on port 80 with just one ip.

bored_womble
22nd September 2007, 00:34
if you access to the server you can do that now, although a wrapper for Shoutcast, and not a feature of any new sc_trans

It is quite simple to write a wrapper and should work no problem, although this is a feature of Icecast by default so you should really look at that.

BW

chuckeh
23rd September 2007, 16:16
But I would like to show up on the YP on SHOUTcast, too. Is that also possible? Perhaps you can help me with it?

Sawg
23rd September 2007, 19:31
Nah, only the official SHOUTcast DNAS client gets listed in the YP. That excludes Icecast.

chuckeh
23rd September 2007, 19:37
I meant that "Wrapper for SHOUTcast", which means something like a plugin?! Or do I missunderstand that?

bored_womble
30th September 2007, 16:02
the wrapper would be something running on your webserver, so you would need Apache or something similar running and then use that as a proxy to the Shoutcast server.

This would not affect your Shoutcast server and people would still be able to connect to the normal port and it should still show the correct amount of listeners, only the unique count might be low if everyone was connected via the proxy.

There is an article with some basic example code you could use at

http://www.perlfect.com/articles/streaming.shtml

Will of course need alot of modification but should do what you need.

BW

JamesJ
30th September 2007, 20:53
Hm, that would make a lot of traffic on the webserver. And it will not count the listeners on the shoutcast servers.

bored_womble
1st October 2007, 13:58
JamesJ,

see my comment previously. This would only work if you had access to the server , so a dedicated solution.

The traffic through the webserver would be ok, although memory may become an issue. Any CGI type script ( as the example given in the URL ) would more than likely consume 1-2meg per connection, so not ideal.

The connections should show on the Shoutcast server, just no longer being unique as they would all appear to come from the webserver ... but if you are using so that just *some* users can listen then it would be quite a good solution.

The preferable one would be to use Icecast, but as most people want to be listed in the YP, alas hacks and wrappers have to be used for Shoutcast.

BW

congkai
2nd October 2007, 15:04
i am still waiting for the sc_trans 2.0!!

ash.1111
12th October 2007, 14:31
Is there anymore news on this? We've been waiting ages!

I'd be more then happy to pay to get this thing moving!

I've downloaded SC_TRANS and It won't even read the playlist... A simple web interface would be great. That would allow us to edit the playlist and restart it etc without using that command. It wouldn't be hard to have a little "ad" box in it and people could pay to have their ad seen on the admin panel. I mean that would allow money to come into AOL and for users who don't want it, they could pay to get the ads removed and get AAC or something?

Dunno, but I really really hope something gets done soon. Please!

DeepFreeze.NL
9th November 2007, 13:34
Eidolon, how is the progress? It's no problem if it would take a while, but some info about the progress would be fine :)!

A (small) request for me would be a webbased song request system like "Song Requester Winamp Plugin Version 2.5".

Thanks for rebuilding sc_trans.

meenstreek
12th April 2008, 12:07
Have anything for this yet eidolon?
Been watching this thread for a long time now waiting to see if you've come up with anything :D.

eidolon
12th April 2008, 19:58
:(

Unfortunately I'm berry busy but the fact you all need something is helping. Keep bugging me in this thread!

I'll try my best and setup a framework for it this month.

:D

DeepFreeze.NL
28th April 2008, 14:07
It would be great if you can rebuild sc_trans! I can't wait till it's finished :)

eidolon
28th April 2008, 20:04
:D will have an update soon

destroyerdotnet
30th May 2008, 03:36
any word on this yet? you did say to bug you in this thread...

you did say over a year ago that it would be soon ;)

eidolon
30th May 2008, 14:50
Well, keep bugging, I'm subscribed to this thread so I get an email every time someone bugs.

I've been milling this around in my head lately and am really starting to lay out the project. I'm mainly busy with work that pays. :) Donations anyone? ;-)

Shameless plug for the project I just finished that put this off for a while:
www.onedollartemplates.com

Tag
28th July 2008, 20:43
SC_Trans 2.0 Beta Release (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295201)

eidolon
28th July 2008, 20:56
Originally posted by Tag
SC_Trans 2.0 Beta Release (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295201)

oh snap.

he beat me to it.

ive still started mine
but ill have to check out the real one before proceeding

eidolon
9th September 2008, 20:15
Originally posted by Tag

It's gone!@$ :eek:

chuckeh
9th September 2008, 20:16
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296074

Jkey
10th September 2008, 23:06
Thread locked it is no longer needed as sc_trans 2.0 beta
is out and is sticky'd at the top of this forum.