PDA

View Full Version : How Many Listeners Can I Handle?

PC Radio Net
26th November 2006, 01:31
Well, after 4 years of broadcasting using Dialup, we are finally moving off of it beginning tomorrow. I'm guaranteed a connection speed of 768kbps at most or 128kbps at least with Verizon DSL. Does anybody know how many listeners I will be able to get with that?

Nick@ss
26th November 2006, 06:35
upload / bitrate = max users.

do a test on your cable when you get it to ensure your speed.,
http://www.speedtest.net/

MegaRock
27th November 2006, 00:18
It depends on both the upload speed and the speed you plan on streaming in. This can also be effected if you are surfing the web or downloading which can lower the overall outbound speed you can achieve. Do a speed test first to see what you have to work with, decide what bitrate you want to stream at and go from there.

PC Radio Net
1st December 2006, 03:53
Ok. Currently, I'm broadcasting at 24 kbps. My upload speed is 135kbps and my download is 756 kbps and latency is 158 ms. So, how do I find out how many listeners I can have?

Pat

zv32
1st December 2006, 04:11
Think of it like this:
If your broadcasting at 24Kbps, that equals 2K
If your upload speed is 135Kbps Max, that equals 13K

So, you can fit about 6 people max at that rate. (Cable is much better than DSL btw)

PC Radio Net
1st December 2006, 04:24
6 people is fine with me. I've been broadcasting on dialup since 1999, so this is a big step up. I only work 2 nights a week doing overnights at a local radio station, so I can't afford to pay for anything else but DSL, and $17.99 a month is is bargain compared to what cable and other services were charging for DSL.

Pat

Diablosblizz
1st December 2006, 22:15
Hmm, I was wondering why my upload speed is so low compared to my download:

Download speed: 3635 kb/s
Upload Speed: 587 kb/s

Is this normal?

fc*uk
1st December 2006, 22:19
yep. the lines are not symmetrical anymre (meaing if you have 1M down you also have 1M up).

Most broadband companies cap home line upload speeds at about 500k, so you are sitting right on the money.

Sawg
1st December 2006, 22:21
That's quite normal for a residential internet connection. (Download sells, upload doesn't).

Diablosblizz
1st December 2006, 22:34
I think from my ISP Im suspossed to get 1mb of download, so thats awesome! But for my upload I thought it would at least be in the 1k, meh..thanks!

fc*uk
1st December 2006, 23:04
no unless you get a business class line...

Diablosblizz
2nd December 2006, 00:03
Well, I do have High Speed Internet, no DSL.. so its extreamly fast when I don't have spyware haha :P.

xhilaration
2nd December 2006, 12:19
Originally posted by Diablosblizz
Well, I do have High Speed Internet, no DSL.. so its extreamly fast when I don't have spyware haha :P.

ACTUALLY HUN, T1,T2<-----These are business class line is what he is referring to.

Thus those lines are faster then cable and dsl alone. It is rare for anyone like us to have a T1,T2 class line in our homes (Unless you own a HOME business that you are running out of your home) then thats different.

*To answer PC's*
HOW IN THE HELL ARE YOU ABLE TO BROADCAST ON DIAL UP?:weird:
I'm on dial-up and when I try to dj it buffers up a storm. I go thro Netzero (yeah yeah snicker) I'll be cable net real soon. No crappy DSL, Time Warning is doing a deal that you can pick 3 items for a price of 49.95 or was it 49.99. Well which one its goo price to me.

But yeah how in the world are you djing on DIAL-UP? :weird:

PC Radio Net
3rd December 2006, 11:34
We're not on dialup anymore. I have and always will run this station as a hobby only. I want people to listen, but won't be unhappy if they don't. I'm only doing this to fuulfill my dream of being a DJ, and until a few weeks ago, it was the only way it was ever going to happen. Thanks to the good folks at 101.3, The Rose, I have a weekend overnight shift there now.

Pat

xhilaration
3rd December 2006, 14:13
Originally posted by xhilaration
ACTUALLY HUN, T1,T2<-----These are business class line is what he is referring to.

Thus those lines are faster then cable and dsl alone. It is rare for anyone like us to have a T1,T2 class line in our homes (Unless you own a HOME business that you are running out of your home) then thats different.

*To answer PC's*
HOW IN THE HELL ARE YOU ABLE TO BROADCAST ON DIAL UP?:weird:
I'm on dial-up and when I try to dj it buffers up a storm. I go thro Netzero (yeah yeah snicker) I'll be cable net real soon. No crappy DSL, Time Warning is doing a deal that you can pick 3 items for a price of 49.95 or was it 49.99. Well which one its goo price to me.

But yeah how in the world are you djing on DIAL-UP? :weird:

AWSOME, good for you hun. I hope it goes well for you. This will be a good step into djing.

I knew someone that I worked with went into broadcasting. She was going to school for that to get her degree in broadcasting. Do some google search for colleges that offers course fro broadcasting. There thats a most important first step getting into djing :).

GOOD LUCK :)