PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything bout dedibox?

sputnik radio
4th December 2006, 12:31
I've been looking in to .

Anyone have any experience witht them?

Nick@ss
4th December 2006, 12:35
search these boards there has been several discussions in the past

snice
5th December 2006, 03:21
In a word, "shit" for shoutcast - they have already banned one user for running multiple boxes on streaming audio, and in any case, they cap you (ie make all your listeners experience "buffers" - just when you need it - at peak listening hours!) if the wind is in the west (ie if they feel like it)

In general - if it looks to good to be true, it is!

Also: they even discourage shoutcast usage by preventing your shoutcast servers from even touching the yp (and hence *possibly* causing you to use yet more of their precious international bandwidth). You have been warned. They simply block yp.shoutcast.com !

Dont even try to run a public (yp listed server) on dedibox servers! See related posts in this very forum.

If thats not enough to dissuade you, their bandwidth is advertised as 100mbit unlimited. Its not! I promise you! (read the small print, its 100 mbit effective LAN bandwidth), which I can do here at home... your server will be Qos'd to death on international bandwidth. (again your listeners will get "buffering")

We spent some considerable time testing with them. Sadly, its a waste of time. Looks great on the face of it, but I can categorically tell you its "pants" in practice, despite the assurances of the dedibox support staff.

Hope this saves you some trouble.

Dont waste time. 100mbits decent 'unlimited' bandwidth is 1000+ USD per month. Period. Anyone that says otherwise is telling fibs, in the dark, or just plain hopeful!

I think there may be other ppl in here who have tried the golden bullet and also ended up left with a bitter taste in their mouths...

sputnik radio
5th December 2006, 12:27
Actually i did a lil more research and got mixed reviews. I've heard a few guys saying what you are saying but I've heard others proclaim its wonders.

The YP issue has been resolved with dedibox. It appears that it was not them blocking the yp but it was the way something was configured improperly.

Also I found a post here by the english speaking representative basically defending dedibox and offering its service to shoutcast clients and he even provided some graphs to prove that the bandwith was legit.

So Now I really dont know who to believe.

I even heard a rumor that quite a few shoutcast hosting providers that frequent this place very often use dedibox for their services.

So I guess the only way to know for sure is to jump in and get wet.

I got my box yesterday. 150ms is what i tested my connection to it so far. I havent installed DNAS yet I am waiting for my guy to harden it and install cast control or something on it.

I will let you know how it works out.

PS...US bandwith providers are gonna have to get off their bourgou asses and stop butt raping us for bandwidht in this country. Before us proletariats
storm their data centers and kill the CZAR so to speak.

Enough is Enough. We have the technology. But they want to sit there and wring every drop of milk out that titty that they can before they ever allow us to buy bandwitdh at reasonable prices.

snice
8th December 2006, 14:32
This from the dedibox people today to one of our associates:

"All servers running a shoutcast on port 80 or 8080 will be simply cancelled after 2 warnings. Our biggest problem today is all servers running shoutcast on port 80, and then the whole transit get overloaded and impossible to setup priorities on TCP/IP netflows."

I did try to tell you....:(

IMHO, the whole blocking of yp.shoutcast.com was no accident, it was a desparate attempt to save bandwidth on their massively oversold network!

They've been forced to un-block it, and they dont like the resulting usage!

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 15:00
It appears to me that they are willing to do business with internet radio . They sent me an email telling me about how adding the YP domain to their routers host file caused that router to get overloaded.

I didn't quite understand the email because it was in poor english .

I think they are working on the issue now from what i can gather.

Also I might add that from what i've been able to tell they are very intrested in aquiring clients that are intrested in using dedibox for internet radio.

So whether they can handle the huge demand is yet to be seen.
However one must test things out first before making assumptions.

We shall see.

snice
8th December 2006, 17:18
We did. We have. And these are the results. Good luck, especially if you have any servers on the two main ports.

You dont appear to be listening, of course you will want to find out for yourself, first hand.

I can understand that, but at least you will be prepared for the outcome, even if you refuse to accept it right now...

I think you are somewhat seduced by the available bandwidth for the cost. I can also understand that.

Please also note they are changing the TOS from "100mbit unlimited" to "best effort" or similar. Their words, not mine.

Nobody is "raping" you if they want 1000USD+ for 100mbit bandwidth per month. Its just how much it costs, and they have to eat!

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 17:58
Nobody is "raping" you if they want 1000USD+ for 100mbit bandwidth per month. Its just how much it costs, and they have to eat! [/B]

Yeah well nobody said anything about 100mbits per month . That wouldnt be much. I need that per second dude. And once upon a time 8 megs of ram used to cost 300 dollars too. and that was only like 15 years ago.

This high dollar bandwith is just milking the consumer for all they got.

It's typical.

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 18:00
perhaps i will get virgil over here to jump in this topic and contest your assertion.

I would be more than glad to serve as a case study for them to see if they are really offering a valued service.

any thoughts?

snice
8th December 2006, 18:45
No thanks, lets leave it at that because I *know* all this to be true. You just asked for thoughts, and I gave you not only thoughts, but facts and direct as well as related experience.

If you want to PM me, I'll send you copies of the actual emails, as well as links to all the shananigans about the multiple shoutcast user that was banned before.

Virgile sent the email that I quoted earlier. Twice.

Also, read what you put about 100mbps. I think you will find thats the speed at which the servers were sold at. What you put about it simply doesnt make sense. 100mbps PER SEC is what we are talking about here...

You would need approx. 800 seats @ 128k (all full) to use 100mbps. I think you are quite new to this lark based on that comment (or just simply made a mistake). Please be careful about what promises are made to you, etc.

Thats all I'm saying. Be careful.

I dont want to turn this into dedibox vs snice thread, simply offering some free advice. Now you can carry on as you are and see what happens...

Seems to me you wanted advice at first, but then got excited about getting it and went ahead anyway, reading the thread through.

Now all of a sudden you appear to be fighting the dedibox corner. Im not getting involved in all that - just giving you a third party account of what has happened on there.

Good luck with your quest for cheap bandwidth. I have work to do.

Nick@ss
8th December 2006, 20:05
Originally posted by sputnik radio
perhaps i will get virgil over here to jump in this topic and contest your assertion.

I would be more than glad to serve as a case study for them to see if they are really offering a valued service.

any thoughts?

The last time you brought in someone in to contest your claims it did provide plenty of entertainment at least.

the popcorn stand was sold out on a few occasions.

the only way you will find out for sure is put your money in the box and see for yourself..

you have have mixed opinions and feelings from all so your not going to get a difinitive answer however hard you thrash it out in here..

if it was that good i assure you people would be shouting it from the rooftops.
(im not knocking them as i know nothing about them at all)

it was only three weeks ago you was happy with your host and now your on the move allready.

ps,,, the only reason some people think streamhosts are charging to much for bandwidth is because most internet users have a pre conceived idea that you can get everything for nothing if you look hard enough when it really isnt the case.

As a host there is more to look at than bandwidth costs which have to be taken into consideration.

you may be paying for bandwidth but there is still someone to support you and make sure all of the systems work 24/7 or people complain then there are the payment systems to be maintained and websites and hardware and development so that your user experience is always growing and services are improved and stable... these costs also need covering..

/2cents

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 21:06
I am still licensed and affiliated with webradioworld.com ... I am just occupying an entire box all to my stream. They arranged this box for me and it is still under their direction. Oh and for entertainment. I emailed PPL and asked them if they ever heard of webradioworld and they emailed me back about a week later and told me they have and that they are infact putting togehter a 30 country license that is supposed to be availabe in january.

So whoever that was that posted here claiming to have contacted someone on the phone and they denied ever hearing of wrw are flat out told a fib.

So excuse me if i dont take anyones word for anything anymore.

snice
8th December 2006, 21:20
And the moral of the story is....

If you dont want to take anyone's word for anything, then dont ask for opinions. Especially if you then going to argue the point.

Was trying to genuinely help you, now I have no clue what you are talking about with PPL (PPL = people? the UK phonographic performance people?)

I dont know, and I care far less...

I could be forgiven for thinking the whole intention of this thread was to drum up business for the aforementioned reseller ;)

Mods should delete this thread, I think, in case the above is true. It really serves no useful purpose and I fell into the trap if that is the case.

@nick: you speak the truth, my friend.

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 21:30
Originally posted by snice
And the moral of the story is....

If you dont want to take anyone's word for anything, then dont ask for opinions. Especially if you then going to argue the point.

Was trying to genuinely help you, now I have no clue what you are talking about with PPL (PPL = people? the UK phonographic performance people?)

I dont know, and I care far less...

I could be forgiven for thinking the whole intention of this thread was to drum up business for the aforementioned reseller ;)

Mods should delete this thread, I think, in case the above is true. It really serves no useful purpose and I fell into the trap if that is the case.

@nick: you speak the truth, my friend.

I have no reason to drum up business for anyone . I could care less if anyone used dedibox or not. so nick where do you get your boxes?

neoific
8th December 2006, 21:42
I run a radio station that is intentionally NOT yp listed, we get enough listeners as is and its more geared towards a certain audience. Djs are all located in the USA, with standard DSL and cable.

Besides a 140ms ping, $50 for a stream server supporting that much is a hell of a deal. Especially when I can host all my other junk off of it.

Speeds have been GREAT, up until this week...

fc*uk
8th December 2006, 21:42
nick kinda works for stream solutions... so the answer might be....

From what I have heard, people seem to like SS.

From what I know, when sc_trans finally supports aac+ I am probably going to setup an account with them and move one of my streams over...

Nick@ss
8th December 2006, 21:46
we position servers all around the world to suit our clients needs and our record speaks for itself,

but i can assure you its not dedibox ;)

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 22:15
Originally posted by nick@ss
we position servers all around the world to suit our clients needs and our record speaks for itself,

but i can assure you its not dedibox ;)

oh so your coy now ????

:p

I just want a lot of friggen bandwidth and not have to pay alot for it.

I want a station with thousands of listners and advertisers paying for it all. Heck if had sponsors already lined up I would be willing to pay down some heavy money on some high quality bandwith.

From what i was told . Dedibox has secured 10gigbits pers second of peak american time bandwith and once it purges all the illegal activity from its servers that the hop to their ports will open back up .

we shall see.

Nick@ss
8th December 2006, 22:26
I just want a lot of friggen bandwidth and not have to pay alot for it.

Dont we all..this is where people fall down as it doesnt really exist..

ask anyone around here that knows their onions you pay for what you get.

just out of interest, i have looked at your stats and you really are not ready to provide this kind of listener base?

i whole heartedly recommend you grow into your needs as opposed to wasting bucketloads of cash on capacity you dont need as it will kill your station before you are off the ground.

Server Status: Server is currently up and public.
Stream Status: Stream is up at 128 kbps with 9 of 100 listeners (9 unique)
Listener Peak: 24
Average Listen Time: 10m 13s
Stream Title: -=Sputnik Radio Muzika=- Hi Def Sound
Content Type: audio/aacp
Stream Genre: Trance - Dance - Muzika
Stream URL: http://www.sputnikradio.com

fc*uk
8th December 2006, 22:30
would have to take sides with nick on that one....

wait until you see your slots max out or start to max out. Then add more.

With 24/100 you are only using 25% of what you have bought. You got room for expansion, just give it time and it will happen. As it does, add slots.

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 22:38
WEll heres the deal.

I have a one server from mouse to mouse hosting. its a 30 slot at 128k. And it pretty much stays maxed out all the time . So i know there is room for growth and an eager audience.

I have the dedibox that i got just yesterday and its been buffering real bad since i got it .

havent been able to keep over 20 or 30 people on it max. But i know that my station would have way more listeners if i could find a way to support them.

In every test i have done. I always max out my listenr slots as long as my stream supports it. I have tested it on good streams and poor streams.

So I think out of all honesty that if I had a thousand slots at 128k on some good quality bandiwidth. I could max those slots out within 2 weeks and maintain it to at least 70% most of the time.

I get most of my listeners from europe anyways.

but regardless of what you think.
Im here and I aint going no where but up baby . So get used to seeing me around.

After I conquer internet radio then im gonna go satellite. Yeah .

Nick@ss
8th December 2006, 22:50
i admire your enthusiasm but will ask where the projections of 1000 slots filled in 2 weeks?

we have seen many come and go over the years with all the same patter so pardon us if we seem a little disreguarding to your claims as it doesnt really matter to us as you have nothing to prove around here

i have seen this in the past where people have been listed on itunes and their listener count has gone through the roof.

now if your going to have 1000 listeners you need to make sure you can handle them and this is not normally done without compromise.

this could be bitrate or slots your choice as either way if you are going to maintain a station lke that then you are going to need very deep pockets i can guarentee you that.

as for the your new server if you are getting all the blah and excuses & trouble allready then that looks like the writings on the wall.

good luck as i think you have an uphill march in front of you.

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 22:52
naaa.

nothing is uphill for me anymore.

If i have to I will build a server and take it down to a co-location rack here in plano for a few hundred a month. Jacked straight in to a Peer one fiber optic back bone

right now im just trying to avoid that

we have seen many come and go over the years with all the same patter

Seeing me Come you may . Seeing me Go you never will.

Nick@ss
8th December 2006, 23:02
Seeing me Come you may . Seeing me Go you never will.

in that case we shall continue this coverstation this time next year if you havent taken over the world :)

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 23:08
deal

snice
9th December 2006, 00:21
@sput:

You are really coming across as a pita now. People really are giving you the best advice and you are riding away all over them. Not nice.

And on the one hand you want to argue with me that dedibox really is ok for shoutcast, and in the next breath you are saying how your *40 MAX* AAC stream is already buffering. And you dont even give me a nod for what I told you. Sheesh!

Look at what Nick said. If your provider is making excuses in the first hours of operation, then this speaks volumes. Sure they *say* are laying on extra bandwidth, but its not for shoutcast servers. Read the rest of the mail, not just the bits you selectively want to read. Any server using more than 25mbit (one quarter of what they sell the boxes as, btw) will be scrutinized.

Shoutcast servers on there get two warnings, then they are now banned on both the major ports.

500 bucks still wont get you 100mbps dedicated bandwidth, even if you do provide the hardware in a colo. You need to wake up and smell the real deal.

And Dedibox never was 100mbps internation bandwidth anyway. Only in France. Thats why you cant hold down an audience outside of that country.

That and you have spelling mistakes in your stream titles.
Annoys the hell out of people - plus they cant find you!

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 00:26
I told you already that they are securing new bandwith and purging the network of all illegal stuff.

Word to me was to expect it to improve tomorow

like i said before.

we shall see.

let me figure things out my own way. I dont know you. Do you pay my rent?

PS> plus im not expecting a full 100 mbps for 60 bucks a month.

If i can squeeze 30mbps i would be happy for that price.

nobody has had any problems finding me.

go to your winamp media library under shoutcast radio. There i am right up top. LOL

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 00:32
what mispellings in my stream title?

snice
9th December 2006, 00:51
How correct of you to say that I dont pay your rent.

You asked for advice. You got it. You didnt like it. You ignored it.

You havent once thanked me for recounting my experiences. I wont try to save you any more trouble. You are taking someone else's word over mine, and clearly that will annoy me. So believe what you like, and do your own thing.

And now, miraculously, you seem to know what 100mbps actually means, where you patently did not in an earlier post. Funny, that.

Your spelling mistake / typo:

-=Sputnik Radio Muzika=- CD Qaulity Sound

try !Quality!

I dont expect a thank you

And you are *not* top of any genre. Sorting alpabetically doesnt count - its not the way anyone's media library is configured by default. Something else you will have to learn with time.

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 01:00
thank you for the proof reading. I had configured 3 streams really quickly in SAM and my fingers must have stumbled. Im struggling with other issues to like getting CBB 3.7 to work in XOOPS.

Thank you .

I appreciate your experience and im not taking it for granted. And I have considered everything you said. I will take what you and others have said and compare that to my own experience for a certain trial period. Then I will make a decision on what my next best move is.

Dont worrry. Im no bodys fool.

PS> if you search for genres" trance , house , eurodance , muzika , pop and techno . You will find that i am either in the top 3 or in some genres i mentioned at least in the top 10 or 20

NJK
9th December 2006, 06:23

PS> if you search for genres" trance , house , eurodance , muzika , pop and techno . You will find that i am either in the top 3 or in some genres i mentioned at least in the top 10 or 20

Been following this really cute thread for a while and untill now stayed out
but
the quote above is the biggest BS i have seen in a while

and you know why sputnik??

i don't have hosting , i don't use some stupid box
i only have 10 slots max at 64kbps aac+
and if you search for DARKWAVE you will find my station ALWAYS in the top 10

so what you wrote above is the biggest load of BS you have posted sofar

and i'm sure you will top this anytime soon.

Nick@ss
9th December 2006, 07:38
Im flying to mars tommorow :)

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 13:32
Originally posted by spaceplay
but
the quote above is the biggest BS i have seen in a while

and you know why sputnik??

i don't have hosting , i don't use some stupid box
i only have 10 slots max at 64kbps aac+
and if you search for DARKWAVE you will find my station ALWAYS in the top 10

so what you wrote above is the biggest load of BS you have posted sofar

and i'm sure you will top this anytime soon.

Oh really?

well what do you call this?:

http://www.sputnikradio.com/spaceplay/spaceplayisadumbass.png

http://www.sputnikradio.com/spaceplay/spaceplayisadumbass2.png

http://www.sputnikradio.com/spaceplay/spaceplayisadumbass3.png

http://www.sputnikradio.com/spaceplay/spaceplayisadumbass4.png

http://www.sputnikradio.com/spaceplay/spaceplayisadumbass5.png

Ok so your where right about the "HOUSE" genere. Seems not quite that high up in the listings there.

But as you can clearly see . Most of the generes I mentioned I am right there up top in the listings under that particular genre. Thus for verifying and proving my statement to be true.

YOu should have stuck with your original instinct. Maybe then you wouldnt be eating foot right now.

Oh yeah I remember you . YOur the lil fibber.

NJK
9th December 2006, 16:55
Such a pitty when kids turn to flaming and calling names just because their point gets questioned by others.

You are just a member here, if you want it to last a bit longer i suggest you follow up on the rules.

Still your point even with Pics doesn't prove one single thing

/me wonders off and questions his world wide license that isn't valid at all..........

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 17:05
Originally posted by spaceplay
Such a pitty when kids turn to flaming and calling names just because their point gets questioned by others.

You are just a member here, if you want it to last a bit longer i suggest you follow up on the rules.

Still your point even with Pics doesn't prove one single thing

/me wonders off and questions his world wide license that isn't valid at all..........

Um I do beleive that you are the flamer here. And in more ways then one. If anyone has abused any priveledge that would probably be you.

And yes my pics prove that you don't know what the hell your talking about.

So unless you have something productive to offer this discussion I suggest you butt out.

Speaking of flamer. I see you flaming people on this board all the time. You are perhaps the most abusive and unfriendly person here.

of course that is just my opinion. But I think deep inside you know its true.

oh yeah

/me wonders off and questions his world wide license that isn't valid at all

" From : Matt McAleer
Sent : Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:35 AM
To :
Subject : FW: Do you have a license with webradioworld.com?

| | | radio stuf... | Inbox

MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from adcinet08.oracle.com ([141.146.154.107]) by bay0-mc12-f4.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2444); Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:36:51 -0800
Received: from auohsphon08.oracleoutsourcing.com (auohsphon08.oracleoutsourcing.com [141.146.229.132])by adcinet08.oracle.com (Switch-3.1.8/Switch-3.1.7) with ESMTP id kALGanpX015644for; Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:36:50 -0600
Received: from 62.189.172.226 by auohsphon08.oracleoutsourcing.comwith ESMTP id 3018261164126945; Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:35:45 -0600
X-Message-Info: txF49lGdW41IVhCEpnUhd4vryKBcL3GslC1GOjY5giU=
Thread-Index: AccNijs99HMiX9jaTaaf3PymffLL4Q==
X-Mailer: Oracle Connector for Outlook 10.1.3.0.3 80803 (10.0.6515)
X-Accept-Language: en-gb, en
X-Brightmail-Tracker: AAAAAQAAAAI=
X-Whitelist: TRUE
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Nov 2006 16:36:51.0532 (UTC) FILETIME=[3F33C0C0:01C70D8B]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View E-mail Message Source
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear John,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that PPL is currently in the process of arranging a licence
agreement with Web Radio World that will allow its users to use PPL repertoire
in their broadcasts.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

MATT MCALEER
Broadcast Licensing Executive

PPL VPL
1 Upper James Street, London W1F 9DE
T +44 (0)20 7534 1205 / F +44 (0)20 7534 1111
www.ppluk.com / www.vpluk.com"

Sit and spin

tuckerm
9th December 2006, 17:15
tuckerm > all

Now, lets leave at this eh? Its time to stop feeding the trolls.

NJK
9th December 2006, 17:22
@Tucker

agreed, i'll leave him alone
he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about and doesn't even know what flaming is.

end of discussion
he just joined a list

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 17:29
Originally posted by tuckerm
tuckerm > all

Now, lets leave at this eh? Its time to stop feeding the trolls.

agreed. Because I dont know how much more I can feed him.

Everybody knows who the real flamer is here SP . And its you.

Go back and read this thread.

You jumped in and made false statements. Like you like to do.

Your a liar for one thing . I mean i proved it.

Guess which list you just joined.

tuckerm
9th December 2006, 17:39
agreed. Because I dont know how much more I can feed him.

If your agreeing with me then stop making statements. It's over and delt with...no more he said she said, It's done.

sputnik radio
9th December 2006, 17:47
Originally posted by tuckerm
If your agreeing with me then stop making statements. It's over and delt with...no more he said she said, It's done.

cool No problem.

does that go for both of us?

tuckerm
9th December 2006, 20:22
Yes.