PDA

View Full Version : Headsets

JayF
6th December 2006, 23:39
Alright, us shoutcast DJs like the best sound in music, right? So, I want to purchase a few headsets for my Show. I want maybe 2-3 to start out with. I only have 1 mic, 1 headphone, and 1 speaker output. What should I do to connect 2-3 headsets to my soundcard if theres a male mic and male headphone connector on the headset.

Also, any good headsets out there for DJing?

-Jay

NJK
7th December 2006, 07:16
pretty difficult question to answer

what works for others might be shit for you.
best advise there is , test and find out.

i personally work with Sennheiser but others might like Sony

JayF
5th January 2007, 02:22
Bringing back my thread..

Can anyone recommend headsets?

I want to be able to connect maybe 4 headsets and mine (making a total of 5 headsets) to my computer, so when we are live, we can all talk without switching headsets or moving around mics. Whats the best way to do this, and is there software to manage incoming sound? Like, to be able to control volume on seperate headsets?

Could I use a USB Hub if the headsets are USB?

Thanks

- Jay

xhilaration
5th January 2007, 02:38
Originally posted by JayF
Bringing back my thread..

Can anyone recommend headsets?

I want to be able to connect maybe 4 headsets and mine (making a total of 5 headsets) to my computer, so when we are live, we can all talk without switching headsets or moving around mics. Whats the best way to do this, and is there software to manage incoming sound? Like, to be able to control volume on seperate headsets?

Could I use a USB Hub if the headsets are USB?

Thanks

- Jay

Well, if you use a USB hub, the ends of the headsets has to have the USB connector to it so it will fit into the hub itself.

For what you want, you might have to find something or someone that can splice all headsets together and have one cord going to your soundcard.

But for the USB Hub, all the headsets has to have the USB connector at the end for it to work properly.

I have 2 headsets, my main one (the one that I use) is connected in the back of my tower & the other one (that guest that comes to my house) that is connected in the front.

But if you don't know anyone that can do the splicing of all of the headsets. You might have to do the USB Hub.

Also, Spaceplay has already ansered your question about what kind of headsets is good to use to your answer, see below:

Originally posted by spaceplay
pretty difficult question to answer

what works for others might be shit for you.
best advise there is , test and find out.

i personally work with Sennheiser but others might like Sony

JayF
5th January 2007, 02:41
Yeah I was just asking for suggestions.

No clue on who could splice them.. so I guess I could just get a hub. Software, though?

Greg_E
5th January 2007, 03:01
No, just muxing all the wires together is not the best idea. Get a Mackie or Rane headphone distribution amplifier. I have a Rane at work that sounds really good, but the Mackie should be good too. You might also want to look at the Behringer Powerplay PRO-8 HA-8000 Headphone Amp, some of their stuff is pretty good. As far as headphones, it's hard to say, but the Sony MDR7506 are decent. I also have a bunch of the Behringer HPM1000 Headphones, they are cheap POS, but they sound pretty good.

JayF
5th January 2007, 03:12
Are you talking about one of these? http://www.music123.com/Power-Amps-c64+4294907381.music

..I'm pretty low-budget.

If i'm using headphone, what should I use for mics?

JayF
5th January 2007, 03:16
Actually what I ment a couple of posts ago, was.. I wanted a way to control the volume of the microphone on the headset. What I need a mixer or sound board?

Nick@ss
5th January 2007, 06:14
if you use usb you will be asking for trouble.

im not an expert on the makes of these things and can only agree with the above for headphones and suggest shure
http://www.shure.com/index.htm

a small soundboard will do what you need

djevolved
5th January 2007, 06:24
mixer/sound board are generally considered the same thing (I believe)

I can say you'd need a mixer to control the mic levels, though if you're using one of those computer headsets, I'm not sure how well it would work with the mixer.

by the way, I'd strongly suggest staying away from USB headsets, but that's just my personal opinion.

SLR
5th January 2007, 09:11
Buy a mixer with four or five mic inputs - that's the best solution.

Agree with some of the other posters here - mic / headsets are not the best for sound quality unless you are buying pro setups - (i.e. NOT computer / hobby headsets)

Better idea - purchase a couple of decent dynamic mics and mount them on desk stands - feeding through a mixer for total control.

Greg_E
5th January 2007, 13:27
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/254834.html

Mackie VLZ1402, check ebay

Microphones, what ever you can afford. We use Sure SM7a in all our studios.http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM7B/

If you go with an sm7 on an arm, I suggest getting right angle XLR connectors.

xhilaration
5th January 2007, 16:05
Originally posted by Greg_E

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/254834.html

Mackie VLZ1402, check ebay

Microphones, what ever you can afford. We use Sure SM7a in all our studios.http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM7B/

If you go with an sm7 on an arm, I suggest getting right angle XLR connectors

Like what the other poster suggested after mine and what Greg_E suggested, try Ebay, you can get good deals off of Ebay but be warned who you deal with in that area on Ebay, don't want to get shafted.

Believe me I know, I am a seller on Ebay and I bought a perfume from a guy in Georgia, the fucker shafted me, he sent me an EMPTY bottle without the perfume in it :(.

But try ebay, I have to als agree, I would stay away from USB Hubs, all you are asking for is trouble and headaches :( but its up to you on what you want to use.

As in headsets, I use a headset that has a mic in it. Its a sony. It has volume control, mute control. He keeps out the annoying HISSING/STATIC sound, all you can hear is yourself and if you have background music while you talk all in all, what I have is very very handy headset with mic on it.

JayF
5th January 2007, 23:18
Thanks for all the replies.

1. Buy a soundboard.
2. Dyanamic Mics, not USB
3. Headphones

Are there any "low-priced" studio-looking mics out there?

SLR
6th January 2007, 10:24
Yes,

We recommend either -

a) any of the audio technica range (will need a phantom power supply also to power most of these mics)

b) or MXL 990 Condenser Microphone

Greg_E
6th January 2007, 11:04
Check what Behringer has for mics, I didn't price them, but they may have some decent things at decent prices. You also might find a decent mixer from them too.

fc*uk
6th January 2007, 12:55
I hate eBAY. Tried it when that crap was new in like the late 90's. Got screwed on every single transaction I made.

It is simply not worth it.

JayF
9th January 2007, 21:57
Ebay is not all that bad.. just have to buy smart.

john@ROCKNTV1
12th January 2007, 12:10
Originally posted by JayF
Alright, us shoutcast DJs like the best sound in music, right? So, I want to purchase a few headsets for my Show. I want maybe 2-3 to start out with. I only have 1 mic, 1 headphone, and 1 speaker output. What should I do to connect 2-3 headsets to my soundcard if theres a male mic and male headphone connector on the headset.

Also, any good headsets out there for DJing?

-Jay

JAY

I USE BEVERDYNAMICS HEADPHONE
but i belive your issues will begin with connecting
more than one set of headphone to the same out put
which will split your signal x # of headsets degrading the audio of each. The way to go is a head phone amp connected
to mix board, which does mixing for all in and out functions . With this setup, control of who hears what and the levels are controllable.
john
:D

JayF
7th March 2007, 04:04
Rezzing the thread once again..

If I want to connect several mics to my computer's soundcard, can I use this?

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=BEH%20MX400&src=D0407FG0HAMS0000&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-SearchEngine-_-Feed-_-BEH%20MX400

Put the mics in the inputs, and the output to my soundcard.

Thanks,

Jay

Greg_E
7th March 2007, 15:53
Might work. Beringer has some other microphone mixers too.

JayF
8th March 2007, 19:45
..For a good price?

Greg_E
8th March 2007, 19:52
Beringer products are down right cheap compared to professional level stuff. So what level of stuff do you want? If $20 is all you can afford they buy it, if you can afford more then go with one of the other choices already suggested. If it doesn't work, send it back to get your $20 returned.

JayF
8th March 2007, 22:55
Thanks for the advice Greg. Hmm... So you're saying any of their products are a good bang for my buck? Headphones as well?

- Jay

JayF
8th March 2007, 23:16
One of these for headphones:
http://www.behringer.com/HA400/index.cfm?lang=ENG

And one of these for mics:
http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=BEH%20MX400&src=D0407FG0HAMS0000&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-SearchEngine-_-Feed-_-BEH%20MX400

So I plug in 4 microphones into microphone mixer, then using the output on that mixer, I plug in to the headphone mixer. But then I need the headphone mixer to plug into my soundcard..

- Jay