PDA

View Full Version : AAC Streaming?

sheffieldbleep
7th December 2006, 08:59
Given that AAC has better sound and compression than MP3 why aren't more broadcasters using it?

bored_womble
7th December 2006, 09:04
client support is the main issue. Although WinAMP supports AAC 'out of the box' as it were, alot of the clients do not.

There is a plugin for Windows Media Player, but this does require the user to download it, install it etc, which for people who just skip from station to station is a little too much bother.

Other clients do not support it at all, thus the masses stick to MP3 to get the audience ...

BW

Wavestreaming
7th December 2006, 10:51
Bored womble has hit the nail on the head...

accPlus is a very good format - but at the end of the day, with decent connection speeds available to home users and bandwidth prices coming down - broadcasting at 128k or higher is absolutely fine and offers decent quality audio...

fc*uk
7th December 2006, 21:01
yeah. Except for the fact that it ends up costing the streamer more. You can get twice the 64k slots for about the same as 128k slots from most stream hosts.

It is going to have to be the broadcasters that push this format.

My 'word of mouth stream' (not listed anywhere. people know of it because they either know me or know someone that knows me) only pushes out aac+. People bitch ... "I can't listen to it in iTunes". I reply: "bug apple to support aac+ my stream is not changing its format. Get winamp or wmp. Deal with it".

sputnik radio
7th December 2006, 21:09
Originally posted by fc*uk
yeah. Except for the fact that it ends up costing the streamer more. You can get twice the 64k slots for about the same as 128k slots from most stream hosts.

It is going to have to be the broadcasters that push this format.

My 'word of mouth stream' (not listed anywhere. people know of it because they either know me or know someone that knows me) only pushes out aac+. People bitch ... "I can't listen to it in iTunes". I reply: "bug apple to support aac+ my stream is not changing its format. Get winamp or wmp. Deal with it".

amen brother. Go tell it on the moutain.

AACPLUS is here to stay.

only the enlightened need to apply anyway.

Thebig429
8th December 2006, 00:00
VLC Player Can listen in aac+ also. It also has some primitive shout cast yp listings in it. And it has a mac version along with others. http://videolan.org/vlc/
I have been passing this along to some mac users that want to listen but couldnt find anything that would in aac+

fc*uk
8th December 2006, 00:34
/me waits for the new sc_trans.... then I can ditch this damn windows box!!!

Goodtimez
8th December 2006, 01:53
Xmms on linux does not support aac out of the box, and I am just to lazy to track down the codecs. This is also the same reason I have not moved my stream to aac. I think a lot of people have this mentality.

sheffieldbleep
8th December 2006, 07:45
Originally posted by fc*uk
"bug apple to support aac+ my stream is not changing its format. Get winamp or wmp. Deal with it".

Strange that Apple hasn't got this sorted. You'd have thought they would want to give their potential users more reason to install iTunes.

fc*uk
8th December 2006, 21:30
actually linux does not have a HE-AAC decoder that I am aware of. This creates another problem because a lot of the "big player" (millions of listeners) run off linux boxes ... so even if they wanted to switch to aac+ they cant.

At least until the now sc_trans is released for linux.

You would also think that iTunes would want to do something about this as well. In my mind they were the ones that made aac grab hold anyway because that is what everything in the iTunes store is in. So, why not upgrade to aac+ or at least try to puch the blasted format.

sputnik radio
8th December 2006, 23:23
Heres what im thinking.

you know how some websites have a FORM that you can fill out and it will automatically email your congressman or whatever a generic petition email?

I thought what we should do as broadcasters. And since it is in our hands so to speak. Is that we should make one of those WEB FORMS that a visitor to your website fills out requesting that media player and itunes and real audio support the aacplus format.

We could all share this html document and put it on all our sites so that when a listner comes to your site and cant listen they can fill out the quick form and send an instant email to itunes or microsoft. Pestering the hell out of them.

It may not seem like a lot . But if you got enough of us out there with this form on our sites . They might get the message.

I will look into making this form and sharing it with anyone that wants it. Unless someone else more gifted than myself would like to do it.

We need to create an Internet Radio Broadcasters Union . So we can start making demands.