PDA

View Full Version : [Tips/Tricks for a Begginer]

Critizin
12th December 2006, 22:50
Hello there i been reading the forums and it has been very informative and i would like to thank you guys but i got a
few questions :)

1. I was reading a topic about how to get a radio sponser and one of the things it said about getting a sponsor was it is practically impossible and this is true i have tried for about 2 months trying to get a sponsor and no luck the best i got was a partical sponsor were they would pay half the server cost. My site even gets a decent amount of traffic here i will show some awstats of my traffic.

Unique visitors 7250
Number of visits 14326
Pages 961547 (67.11 pages/visit)
Hits 3906175 (272.66 hits/visit)
Bandwidth 6.95 GB (509.01 KB/visit)

I think that is pretty good but i still couldnt get a sponsor and i was offering advertising etc etc.

I am 18 and with out a job atm so i cant pay for a server.

I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to make money off a site to pay for shoutcast hosting i already got google adsense going and a paypal donation link and they have been working pretty well but not good enough to pay for hosting each month. I am a fairly good Website/Graphic designer and know my way around a computer.

What i am asking is does anyone know a good way to get a good shoutcast server so i can host my radio station i did have a radio station for a while but it was only a test server and it got 150 listners in 1 hr my site is: HabboGears.com

Thank you

Regards
Peter West

fc*uk
12th December 2006, 22:52
look for something smaller that you can afford with what you are pulling in.

Build your listener base.

As you do that, you will grow too.

Ya can't become the field of dreams in one night.

And if you are going that big, I would hope you are keeping up on the liscensing fees (or you are indie/talk).

edit

oh and most importantly, consider changing your stream to aac+. 64k aac+ is as good as 128k mp3. Packs more bang for the buck. Winamp, VLan, and wmp now support aac+. It is gaining a foot hold now.

Critizin
12th December 2006, 22:56
Problem is about going small is that i already have a fanbase of like 1000 listners lol if i come out with a 50 man server or less everyones gonna be trying to connect and they will get mad and eventually leave. im not even kidding when i get test servers up and running there full the most listners i had was 742...

I am paying and keeping up with my licenses.

fc*uk
12th December 2006, 22:59
well, keep in mind the aac+ idea. Also, I would doubt that you would really sustain 742 at one time around the clock.

Hell, I keep one of my streams 5. Yep 5. Not too sure I want that one any bigger for personal reasons.

If people get pissed, send them to your site asking for money. If they cough it up, they really really wanna hear you. Nothing will motivate people to pay more than when they can't listen because your stream is full.

Critizin
12th December 2006, 23:02
Yes Habbo.com is a exellent game to make a radio/fansite for theres over 10,000 people on habbo.com all the time and they all love radio stations.... thats how i get such a huge fanbase and Habbo players are generally 5-16 years old so most of them dont have money lol.

fc*uk
12th December 2006, 23:09
well, then if you want to make money I would say you marketed the wrong audience. :)

Critizin
12th December 2006, 23:10
well people have been donating have gotten about 120$ in donations so far but everywhere i go i see prices for like a 200 listner server 128kb steam selling for 300-400 dollars. and i really dont want my listners donating that much every month lol... i guess im gonna have to get a job to support my hobby? lol

fc*uk
12th December 2006, 23:26
that or use aac+ .... cuts the cost in half because you would only use 64k

Critizin
12th December 2006, 23:27
im sorry but i have no clue was aac+ means lol.....

sputnik radio
12th December 2006, 23:37
aac+ is encoding technology better than mp3.

you can do a 64kbps stereo stream in aacplus and it sounds as good as an mp3 at 128k

fc*uk
12th December 2006, 23:44
no huhu. Listen to either one of our streams. We both use some bitrate of aac+ (I believe we both have 64k)....

Critizin
12th December 2006, 23:46
listening to sputniks radio rite now sounds good :)

Doesnt solve my money issue but yah i go look for a job lol..

sputnik radio
12th December 2006, 23:47
Originally posted by fc*uk
no huhu. Listen to either one of our streams. We both use some bitrate of aac+ (I believe we both have 64k)....

well i have an aacplus stream in 32 that sound pretty damned good as long as you dont turn it up too loud.

my 64k stream is in mp3 for the time being because im trying to accomodate mediaplayers without the orbin plugin.

Yeah a job would help.

Critizin
12th December 2006, 23:52
Well im a pretty good webdesigner / graphic designer i can make professional looking websites and code them in php/css/javascript/html do you think there would be someone out there offering to exchange a shoutcast server for my website/graphic design work?

sputnik radio
12th December 2006, 23:56
Originally posted by Critizin
Well im a pretty good webdesigner / graphic designer i can make professional looking websites and code them in php/css/javascript/html do you think there would be someone out there offering to exchange a shoutcast server for my website/graphic design work?

You may find someone out there on the interweb somewhere willing to barter with you but I wouldnt but too much stock in it.

The best thing for you to do is get you a server with 100 slots and run it at 64kbps aacplus.
That shouldnt cost you more than 50 or 60 bucks a month.

You could get a part time job at starbucks or something working like 2 days a week to easily pay for that and more.

Good luck

fc*uk
13th December 2006, 00:25
I can't get the orban wmp plugin to work on my stream for the life of me. Personally, I think LC botched the link all to hell and there is not too much that can be done about that....

sputnik radio
13th December 2006, 00:37
yeah we need one format dammit. AACPLUS

I created an m3u file like you guys told me.

it has 4 streams listed in it

1. 128k aacplus
2. 128k aacplus
3. 64k mp3
4. 32k aacplus

The cool thing about it is. If one of my servers is full it sends the listner to the next available one.

and if they are using media player it sends them to the mp3 stream.

rocks man.