PDA

View Full Version : Sad Indictment

dekt
30th May 2001, 21:45
I decided to browse the Game category of skins for the 1st time tonight + found a skin called Voodoo-Green at the top of the list. I was totally shocked because it was exactly the same as Sharp Green which I've downloaded + which has even been a featured skin. I checked the 'Date Published':- Sharp Green - 12 June 2000, Voodoo-Green - 21 July 2000. So Anthony Colbert is the cheat and William Levasseur is the victim in this case. Colbert is obviously very sad.

But it shows up bigger issues with winamp.com. Why is there no way to get cheats like this removed? The winamp.com team obviously can't manage this site perfectly but surely there should be a way of reporting and dealing with rip-offs as blatant as this? There are also plenty of 1st versions of skins waiting to be deleted like for Sharp Green itself or Underground Rave.

Also check those dates once again. Even assuming Colbert stole Levasseur's skin to submit it straight away the review process only took a month and a half. Apparently some people are still waiting for a review at the moment after submitting in November so just how big is the backlog? Winamp.com did reviews for all the recent ninja skins so what's going on? I've only just submitted my first two skins but I'm already wondering when (or if) they will appear. Does anyone have recent experience of submitting or getting reviewed to give me an idea?

Thanks in advance. dekt

. - .... .- -. ....
30th May 2001, 21:57
There is a way to report these rips, and many have been dealt with so far. Submit a thread to the Skin Rips (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=24572) thread, including links to the skins in question.

dekt
30th May 2001, 22:04
Should've spotted that shouldn't I (sorry)? You can tell by my number of posts that I'm not exactly an expert though.
Still, from 21 July 2000 to now is quite a while for it to go unreported.

About the time delay though - any ideas?

rm'
30th May 2001, 22:47
Since there are so many skins, it's hard to notice rips. You need a good memory, and a fast internet connection to spot them easily.

dekt
30th May 2001, 23:11
I understand. There is another skin though called Sharp Blue v2 which is just blue applied to everything on Sharp Green (including the EQ bars that were yellow). Is this a rip as well or is it allowed?

Here's some depressing download statistics, the first two are William Levasseur's original and update:

Sharp Green: 4,749
Sharp Green v2: 954
Sharp Blue v2: 5,248
Voodoo-Green: 51,672

. - .... .- -. ....
30th May 2001, 23:19
Originally posted by dekt
I understand. There is another skin though called Sharp Blue v2 which is just blue applied to everything on Sharp Green (including the EQ bars that were yellow). Is this a rip as well or is it allowed?

It depends. There are a lot of skins out there that are "modifications" of an original. SPYamp is a prime example - there are 20 different versions. If the author refers to the original skin in some way then its not so bad, however if he claims it as his own work, then.....

dekt
30th May 2001, 23:32
I suppose that's okay then. I actually quite like it in blue but I feel sorry for William. He had another skin mentioned as being ripped. I suppose in a perverted way it shows you're a good skinner but I still hate the thought of someone else getting the credit for your hard work.