PDA

View Full Version : Minibrowser

FAq
2nd July 2001, 07:34
One of the things that annoys me about winamp is the fact that after you play a song, the minibrowser takes over it's content and moves me to a page which attempts to tell me (mostly unsuccessfully) information about the music I'm listening to. This is highly annoying, especially since I like to use Winamp with the Dynamic MP3 Lister ( http://ben.ursux.com/?func=code - ok, it's my script, and a little bit of shameless self promotion, but the rant is still valid ;) ) to listen to streamed MP3s. Every time I listen to a song, it leaves my page and goes somewhere else. At the very least, you should have the option of shutting off the song information view in the minibrowser.

Thanks,

Ben

DJ Egg
3rd July 2001, 00:17
Open up winamp.lks file with Notepad.
You can change all the default page values here.
(Make sure mb is closed first)

DefBrowseLoc http://www.winamp.com/browser/index.jhtml?artist=$a&track=$t&version=$v&genre=$g&album=$b&full=$f Get information about $a

You can also add more links to the mb menu (^ button) by using the specified format. I'm sure you'll be able to suss it out, but backup the file first, just in case anything goes wrong.

FAq
3rd July 2001, 00:26
Hey! Thanks, I'll be sure to try it out.

FAq
3rd July 2001, 00:49
It doesn't work, even after editing it it still flips the page when a new song is played. If you try to empty the file of it's links, winamp (without asking, which is HIGHLY annoying) goes and rebuilds the file from winamp.com.

Sorry to say it, but it remains a gripe I have with winamp :(

ecstatic
4th July 2001, 03:06
After you edit the winamp.lks file, right-click it and choose "properties" and make sure "read only" is checked.

That way Winamp won't overwrite it when it attempts to get the dynamic links. It will still try to get them (which is #$@#ing annoying and I wish it could be turned off) but it won't overwrite them.

FAq
4th July 2001, 04:24
ok, thanks, i'll try that too ;)

FAq
4th July 2001, 04:33
ok, since people seem to be giving me suggestions, none of which are working, i implore you to try this so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

go to this link in the minibrowser:

http://ben.ursux.com/mp3/index.php?mchdir=%2Fusr%2Fhome%2Fben%2Fursux%2Fmp3%2FSerenity+-+Angels&sort=name&invert=0

now, click on 'stream mp3s' it should send a .pls file.

now, when all the links load into the playlist, change the song to something by double-clicking on the song title in the playlist. The minibrowser will change to a page containing (somewhat usless) song info. Every attempt I've made to edit the .lks file has not solved this problem.

I thank those who have tried to help thus far though, all good suggestions ;)

Charmander
15th July 2001, 12:35
I had the same problem ages ago for my intranet home page load but fixed it Go to Winamps Preferences Dialog And Highlight The "Setup" Panel. In The Box That says "Internet Settings" Check The Circle For "No Internet Connection" it wont entirely disable the minibrowser but it stops the auto url flip! And this means your winamp wont "Dial Out On LOAD" if you use dial up like me. Try this one Fore Google It Works BrowseLOC http://www.google.com/search?q=$a $a on Google Search without the Vbulletin Script.

FAq
15th July 2001, 18:26
Thanks a million, this does exactly what i want it to.

Player 1
25th January 2002, 00:11
Ive done that too. I told winamp that I have No internet conection.

Im using the minibrowser making this post and it doesnt hang or freeze for 20 seconds like Micrapsoft Internot Exploder :p

FAq
25th January 2002, 03:34
Originally posted by Player 1
Ive done that too. I told winamp that I have No internet conection.

Im using the minibrowser making this post and it doesnt hang or freeze for 20 seconds like Micrapsoft Internot Exploder :p

You must have a broken operating system, Internet Explorer has never done that to me, ever. The minibrowser was just a convenience for me, and not a replacement for Internet Explorer. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the minibrowser in winamp uses Internet Explorer to parse the pages you view in it.

Obviously you're not a web developer, or you'd know why Internet Explorer is probably one of the best browsers available today.

Player 1
25th January 2002, 23:14
Internet Explorer is good except for that freezing problem :rolleyes:

darkraider
28th January 2002, 08:29
Originally posted by Player 1
Yes, blame Microsoft....

FAq
28th January 2002, 21:21
Originally posted by darkraider

Yes, blame Microsoft....

Blame Microsoft for what? Him having a problem with his setup that he's incapable of fixing himself?

I spend all day in Internet Explorer. I do backend coding, for a living. Hell, I've evern written a script *for* MP3s ( http://ben.ursux.com/mp3 ) , which was developed solely with Internet Explorer in mind, and then tested briefly in Netscape.

Internet Explorer runs fine, and it doesn't pause at all. If you're having problems, then you need to get a newer version of the browser. I run IE6, and I've been more than happy with it.

That's the problem, right there - you are quick to run and point a finger at MS just because they are MS. You don't bother to try to figure out why it's doing what it's doing. It's probably his own fault that it works poorly.

Pauses like that could be anything from problems with the ISP, to inproperly set MTU values for his internet connection to spyware attached to his browser, installed by some other program he ran. Do us all a favour, and learn what the fuck it is you're talking about, and then perhaps you wouldn't come off as such an idiot.

Player 1
28th January 2002, 23:23
I forgot to mention that I am using IE6

alysher
29th January 2002, 04:58
:confused: did u upgrade over a t1 or equlivelent or a modem:confused:
and which versoin of windows r u using

darkraider
29th January 2002, 23:33
Originally posted by FAq

Blame Microsoft for what? Him having a problem with his setup that he's incapable of fixing himself?

I spend all day in Internet Explorer. I do backend coding, for a living. Hell, I've evern written a script *for* MP3s ( http://ben.ursux.com/mp3 ) , which was developed solely with Internet Explorer in mind, and then tested briefly in Netscape.

Internet Explorer runs fine, and it doesn't pause at all. If you're having problems, then you need to get a newer version of the browser. I run IE6, and I've been more than happy with it.

That's the problem, right there - you are quick to run and point a finger at MS just because they are MS. You don't bother to try to figure out why it's doing what it's doing. It's probably his own fault that it works poorly.

Pauses like that could be anything from problems with the ISP, to inproperly set MTU values for his internet connection to spyware attached to his browser, installed by some other program he ran. Do us all a favour, and learn what the fuck it is you're talking about, and then perhaps you wouldn't come off as such an idiot.
Whoa, hold up partner.

I use IE 5.5 almost religiously. I'm prettymuch sick of people using MS as their default scapegoat when they can't figure out their own damn problems.

Sorry if you took me wrong. I'll put the sarcasm tags in next time.

Nini
30th January 2002, 08:11
And the minibrowser is using parts of Microsoft's IE
At least when my IE was broken, the minibrowser didn't work as well ;)

darkraider
30th January 2002, 16:39
That would make sense. I've never written a standalone browser but it seems like it would have to be bigger than the 2MB package that winamp comes in.