PDA

View Full Version : skin/plugin chaos

Dan42
4th July 2001, 00:24
The subject of this bitching: those fucking annoying bastards who post their skins/plugins in the WRONG CATEGORY. I just hate it when I'm browsing the anime skins and then I get hit with a dozen Danzig skins for no logical reason whatsoever. And then I browse the general plugins and I keep getting AVS presets packs for Pete's sake! Most of the time the skins/plugins are in the right categories but it's so fucking annoying when they aren't. There! Finished venting out the bad things. :-)

A Plugin Developer
4th July 2001, 04:50
I agree... only I think the Nullsoft reviewer should take some of the blame, it doesn't take more than 2 seconds to see that an AVS preset doesn't belong in the general plugin area. Oh and while I'm bitching... why in the f@#% are they allowing MikroAmp skin packs, Desktop themes, and misc. executables in the plugin section? It's bad enough having to sift through all the AVS Presets (notice I said Presets - they are NOT plugins). 'nuff said... I feel much better now :)

Lepre41
4th July 2001, 06:39
yeah, sometimes if a product gets too popular it can become a bad thing... there are actually sites other than winamp that specify in quality rather than quantity... those are the sites I always go to for most of my plugins/skins...

the real Slade
4th July 2001, 07:38
Originally posted by Dan42
I just hate it when I'm browsing the anime skins and then I get hit with a dozen Danzig skins
no shit i hate them too...

Originally posted by Lepre41
there are actually sites other than winamp that specify in quality rather than quantity...
thats right but winamp is still a good site for skins but its just so UNORGANIZED maby they should take a few days/weeks to re-organise them...

the real Slade
4th July 2001, 07:40
crap the only thing i could do is edit this post cuz my
connection sucked so could you please delete this posting
of mine sorry guys as i said my connection was fucked...

[Edited by the real Slade on 07-04-2001 at 04:02 AM]

THEMike
5th July 2001, 08:06
Originally posted by A Plugin Developer
I agree... only I think the Nullsoft reviewer should take some of the blame, it doesn't take more than 2 seconds to see that an AVS preset doesn't belong in the general plugin area.

This is true, but previously there was no AVS preset area. And when submitting there are those three categories to select, I guess some people are over the top and put plugins that are single category into multiple categories.

Oh and while I'm bitching... why in the f@#% are they allowing MikroAmp skin packs,

Cos there is no-where else to submit MikroAMP skin packs, they can't go as skins (.wsz extension only, and the screen shot generator would puke) so it has to be a plugin. Perhaps a new category is needed.

MikroAMP skins are very popular in some places. We did ask for permission first, and was told yeah it's a goer.

Desktop themes, and misc. executables in the plugin section?

I agree these are perhaps out of place. Dunno what the misc. exe's are that you refer to, if they are apps to go with winamp that's fine. Themese are a no-no

It's bad enough having to sift through all the AVS Presets (notice I said Presets - they are NOT plugins). 'nuff said... I feel much better now :)

True, but there was a big demand for a way to submit preset packs, and this was the best and quickest solution.

Perhaps next site version will have a better way...

A Plugin Developer
5th July 2001, 15:26
Originally posted by THEMike
Cos there is no-where else to submit MikroAMP skin packs, they can't go as skins (.wsz extension only, and the screen shot generator would puke) so it has to be a plugin. Perhaps a new category is needed.

MikroAMP skins are very popular in some places. We did ask for permission first, and was told yeah it's a goer.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind MikroAMP skins being on the Winamp site... but putting these "skins" in the plug-in section just doesn't make sense. As you suggested perhaps there should be a MikroAMP skins section. Looks like the skins section needs to be revamped anyway, there are no 5 star skins now... how can that be? Have all the skinners out there just been cutting each other down or what?

Perhaps next site version will have a better way... Lets hope so... because there will probably be people submitting presets for eXcess (http://www.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml?componentId=67880) and all those other preset enabled visual plug-ins. Allowing AVS presets just opened the flood gates for this sort of thing. :)

THEMike
5th July 2001, 16:21
I agree with you 100%.

They don't belong where they are in the site, but they do belong on the site. They need a plugins add ons section for skin/preset packs etc.

And eXcess rocks, so does Climax, I need to steal Nikias's skills, his gfx processing is l33t.

THEMike
5th July 2001, 16:28
I agree with you 100%.

They don't belong where they are in the site, but they do belong on the site. They need a plugins add ons section for skin/preset packs etc.

And eXcess rocks, so does Climax, I need to steal Nikias's skills, his gfx processing is l33t.

A Plugin Developer
5th July 2001, 23:33
Yet another thing that doesn't belong on Winamp.com... it's a freakin' bitmap for crying out loud... not to mention that logo.sys is only used by Win9x machines! I ran the install just for kicks and it crashes... you gotta laugh :D :D :D

dg, put down the joint... you've taken one too many puffs.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml?componentId=68942

s1138
6th July 2001, 00:35
lol:D

the skin and plugin sections need alot of help. i think everyone agrees about that

Charmander
7th July 2001, 15:44
the misc .exe appears to be the Hypnogenic Screen Savers. there is more than one. and they are not properly labelled as their main category should have been commercial but the company who developed them avoided people not being sucked into "Purchasing" their Crippleware "$24.95US"/"$99.95NZ" Im still quite lost when it comes to getting the z-lib to work when it comes to compressing the contents of superpimped software "Aka my presets" Gif Wont show their splendor and JPG too lossy or wont be accepted by webpage loader ! I found how to make the superpimp work without compression! But I Found A Workaround "Zip Central" I downloaded it from http://www.freewarefiles.com Excellent I can now Make A Self Extractor And Stick Several Pieces of software and one extractor and unlike winzip i only get what i need and nothing else "and best of all" Its Freeware And It has a nicer icon for SFX's Than winzip as its not a company thats developed it, it was a small organisation not a corp. I guess the programmers were fed up with shareware zip software and developed free versions for the average folk rather than major corps!

Charmander
7th July 2001, 15:49
Take A Closer look at my sig did you see any GIF artifacts obviously not You will see that theres no correct size or smoothing - thats 'cause its just typed in the sig box its more convenient with my 33.60k dialup modem.