PDA

View Full Version : Overheating CPU's

n_ick2000
13th August 2001, 02:32
I have an Amd K6-2 500 and it was fine until about a week ago. Then, after an hour of having my computer on, everything was crashing so I restarted. I went into the bios and noticed it was about 65 deg C. Now, I can't leave my computer on for more than half an hour without it overheating. It's been doing this for about a week now. I'm afraid to turn on my computer for more than an hour and find my chip melted to the motherbord. I just ordered a new CPU fan and it cost me $20 bucks. That is not cool.

InvisableMan
13th August 2001, 08:40
as long as your getting a new cpu fan, get some thermal conducter goo to put between te cpu and the fan. (if theres a little sticky square thing on the bottom of the cpu fan SCRAPE IT OFF! that thing dosnt work, and it will pull your die off the cpu base if you attemt to remove the fan(i got a cpu busted cus of that), so just use normal tc goop that you can buy at your local frys or some computer outlet. i also recommend using an orb coolr fan, they're the best, but can get a little expensive.

agetnq232
24th August 2001, 06:52
uh actually orb fans are some of the worst you can buy for a cpu. they are better for cooler your video card gpu. Although that new dragon orb 3 performs pretty well actually. For a decent cheap heatsink just grab an alpha or a hedgehog.

n_ick2000
25th August 2001, 00:11
I got my new fan, a coolermaster something. I paid 20 bucks for it. It works fine now, but my cpu is a socket 7, I ordered a soket 7 fan, I got a socket 370 fan. I was REALLY hard to fit on (I had to use plyers) but I got it on. Now my cpu temp never gets above 55 deg. C.

John M
25th August 2001, 01:56
hell, i'd just pull off both sides of the case and get 2 20' box fans to get some air circulation goin.

ideally, i'd have a vacuum container, insulated on the outside filled with a non-concuctive gel/liquid, put the processor in there, have a way to attach it to the mobo, and then seal the vacuum and chill it to a subzero temperature. youd never overheat, ever.

NeoRenegade
25th August 2001, 04:21
A friend of mine has a defective fan and a CPU he just bought got fried right away the first time he turned his computer on after putting it in. We're all totally perplexed as to how his old CPU ever survived month after month because it was overclocked.

n_ick2000
25th August 2001, 05:18
Originally posted by John M
ideally, i'd have a vacuum container, insulated on the outside filled with a non-concuctive gel/liquid, put the processor in there, have a way to attach it to the mobo, and then seal the vacuum and chill it to a subzero temperature. youd never overheat, ever.

They do make some cases that liquid-cool the CPU, Harddrive, and video card processer. They cost like 200 bucks tho.

John M
25th August 2001, 14:07
yeah, but that could also be the dollar difference between your chip and a faster chip, and you could clock your chip pretty far with a liquid cooler.

InvisableMan
25th August 2001, 14:12
at ICEF this year, they had liquid nitrogen cooled cpus at 350mhz overclocked to 1.2 ghz. and a 1.9 ghz ocd to 2.95 ghz

John M
25th August 2001, 20:16
:eek: :eek: :eek: wow. thats some serious clocking. i wonder what i could do with my 536.....

Lucid DM
26th August 2001, 01:58
My new comp has a 1ghz processor. the fan I bought for it is like, made out of cooling fins. I think it's total surface area is something crazy like metre squarehttp://www.mear.fsnet.co.uk/grinblue.gif.
I've just bought loads of new stuff for my comp. In a few months time (maybe half a year) I'm gonna buy a shitload more stuffhttp://www.mear.fsnet.co.uk/grinblue.gif. That liquid cooling sounds like a good ideahttp://www.mear.fsnet.co.uk/grinblue.gif.

Someonebutnotme
26th August 2001, 16:15
Put the fucker in a freezer and you'll be set. Just make sure that the power doesn't go out, otherwise it'll be mighty soggy. :p

Though it is still just theory, so umm, do it with caution if you are going to. I doubt you will though.

n_ick2000
27th August 2001, 04:41
I don't plan to put my computer in a freezer, one of these days, I will probably do it to see what happenes. Who knows, it might go faster.

John M
27th August 2001, 21:14
condensation. open the freezer. look at the rack. it theyres any ice on it, you'd fuck up your comp. even if there isnt, the freezer still has moisture in it. a regular freezer couldnt keep a processor under 32 degrees (or 0 for the stupid people reading this) and the ice would melt onto your mobo.