PDA

View Full Version : Another poorly labelled thread bitching about an aspect of winamp.com

bschuler
18th August 2001, 14:42
Is it just me, or has Winamp slipped in a few places? I mean, 1 year ago, I had no gripes...but now.. everything winamp seems like it's going to crap. And this comming from a guy who used Winamp from the start.

My major gripes:

1) AVS presets- These are not PLUGINS! Maybe AVS plugins, but certainly not Winamp plugins. Why oh why are they allways showing up as the NEWEST PLUGINS. Plus, they name them something like "DELERIUS", so you'r not sure they are AVS until you click on the info section. Sorry AVS makers...but 99% of people hate your crap and are looking for REAL plugins like MILKDROP, GEISS, etc.. Your just pissing us off by making it hard to find real plugins. Why not name yours "AVS-DELERIUS" so atleast it's easier for us to AVOID your crap! It would be nice if us non-AVS worshipping people could avoid this lame crap.

2) Ratings- The rating system has seemed to be rigged for the last few years. I mean, there is no way a super dark image skin that nobody can see much less identify has attained that many REAL downloads or high ratings. Wanna click on the see only 5 star skins.. Expect to see only the worst. I love bots as much as anyone else, but this is just wrong. And I always find that "perfect" skin..with a real rating buried in the lower recesses. Because whoever rated it was just downright honest and thought it need one improvement. Too bad nobody else will know about that "perfect skin" though.

3) Skins and Plugins- You should revamp the whole site...and make all skins and plugins pass through a quality check before becoming available for download. I mean, you got some skins that look like a 4 year old did it and only skins the main window..GET RID OF THEM! Everything else in the would has quality control..Why not winamp?

Well, that's my rant for now.. I really think that if #1 was taken care of (label AVS presets as AVS). I wouldn't feel the need to kill people anymore and the voices would go away in my head. So can someone at winamp do something to label these hell spawned things? Hurry cuz my neighbor is starting to get scared that he's next...and you know what? He's right.

NeoRenegade
18th August 2001, 14:46
You're absolutely right, except in the case of #3 we can't because that's "restricting art" or something. I think AOL said that...

eleet-2k2
18th August 2001, 16:02
I agree with you bschuler, especially with the ratings and the avs.

}}Killer Wombat{{
18th August 2001, 16:32
woooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooo i have found my partner on the AVS thing, i told you all there were ppl like me. AVS is all bullshit, die scum die

Bop
18th August 2001, 17:00
right on, man. your completely right about the skins; i don't really use any vis plug-in so i'm not sure about that; but check this-->

without using the search option try to find a skin called "myway2"
the darn thing is hidden in the middle of all those really shitty skins, and it is one of the best ones out there

or try finding "out of the blue for you" another fantastic skin that belongs somewhere in the beginning of some list, but is lost in winamp's crappy format

*and fuck all that restricting art shit cuz aol does it every day; there's no law that says you can't use quality control--> if i made a skin with a close up of some nasty pussy wide open, would winamp be obligated to post it? no of course not, they wouldn't post it; isn't that restricting art? i'm telling you; they don't post every skin that gets sent to them . . . so why not filter out the crap too

**is it just me or does the search button only work for descriptions? It says search titles, authors, and descriptions; but when i search for any author nothing comes up; unless their name is in the description. (try steve moss)--> nothing!!!

Bop
18th August 2001, 17:43
oh and i found another great one that i've never seen before it is skin #321 in the fururistic category (search for "the cube")

this should be a featured skin, or in the beginning of the category

Scarface2k1
18th August 2001, 21:33
oh man you guys are gonna get it from the mods :rolleyes:, ive learned that the hard way :D

s1138
18th August 2001, 22:56
s1138 the member enters:
yeah, the skin section really sucks ASS!

s1138 the mod enters:
this aint no democracy bitch!

n_ick2000
18th August 2001, 23:42
I agree with the quality check thing. I am tired of looking for a good skin out of the thousands that are out there.

Bilbo Baggins
19th August 2001, 00:53
And so another anti skin thread pops up.

If you don;t like it, fucking lump it.

DJ Egg
19th August 2001, 01:05
Yeah, my major gripe about this thread is the title. :(
How Winamp has become Crapamp?
wtf are you talking about? :mad:
You're just bitching about winamp.com, not the player itself . . .

Very misleading, most unjustified.

Please suggest another title and I'll edit it accordingly. Otherwise I feel like deleting this thread due to it falling foul of the Fair Trades Description Act ;)

s1138
19th August 2001, 02:22
dont delete it! ill lose 2 posts!:D;) :p

coteyr
19th August 2001, 04:07
Ok here we go.

The Skins Thing
2. The AVS Thing
#. My plugins, some work but most install and can't be found
4. Crashing (when a plugin crashes winamp I think there should be an error msg)

Ok about the site. If you make an internet going app such as winamp or just about anythin else the site is considered a part of the program. Battel.net lagg, it is concidered a part of startcraft's cons even though b.net is a totaly diff thing. If you wish to make a site that supports winamp be prepaired to get complaints retaining to the site when you ask for ones about the program.

Mod's if you feel mod'ing is so important then mod the skins section\

sorry in advanc for any type'os one of einamp's vis plugins (see a plugin is accually an exe with a .dll at the nd but it is still assoated) is blocking all my chars that I type in this feild to be maked so I am doing this blind

ElChevelle
19th August 2001, 13:36
Originally posted by coteyr
Mod's if you feel mod'ing is so important then mod the skins section\

Duh!
Why don't people read up on what's happening with something before bitching about it?
A new skin review team has been amassed and is currently re-organizing the skin department.

Bilbo Baggins
19th August 2001, 14:39
Originally posted by ElChevelle

Why don't people read up on what's happening with something before bitching about it?

Because people are stupid :p

bschuler
20th August 2001, 04:53
Yeah, because people are stupid and the main page of Winamp rather report how to fight aids, or how jonathan is a slacker instead of reporting real news about Winamp. Did someone forget your WINAMP and not the NY Times? :p

I agree..someone is stupid here..But it ain't me! It's the webmasters. That's right...bury the real news we all need! But maybe I'm wrong, maybe everybody does comes to winamp.com for your rants and bitching......not Winamp or news about winamp 3, etc... I mean, how many hits does a story like JOHNATHAN IS A SLACKER get anyway? And if it's alot, who are THESE wierd people who want to read about someone they've never met bitching about someone else they've never met(curses and all)?

Title suggestion for this thread? Well, Ok..maybe Winamp isn't Crapamp..How about, Nullsoft has gone too soft? Both the website and Winamp are linked..they are one. When someone wants winamp..they type www.winamp.com. So the argument that WINAMP is not hurt by a bad winamp.com is FALSE. If I worked hard on winamp..I for one would be be embarrassed by the website.

I know it's been this way from the start (the news stories, etc)...and it's a key part of your counter-corporate culture..but a link to REAL WINAMP NEWS would be appreachiated. Or maybe a link to a good fan site that actually reports on Winamp and not so much on the company parking lot...and in-fighting. Don't get me wrong..I love Winamp..and the site is OK, but could be alot better. Help us find NEWS, TIPS, etc.. BE A FRIGGIN WEBSITE.

So how are we supposed to know what's new? Someone tell me...Where is the WINAMP NEWS hidden? LATEST NEWS doesn't even mention WINAMP half the time! I'm not kidding here..where can I find up to date WINAMP news? Anybody?

s1138
20th August 2001, 10:13
Originally posted by bschuler
I mean, how many hits does a story like JOHNATHAN IS A SLACKER get anyway? And if it's alot, who are THESE wierd people who want to read about someone they've never met bitching about someone else they've never met(curses and all)?

ill just comment on this part...

i imagine it gets lots of hits...
none of us have ever met, but several members i would consider a friend :cool:

besides its fun to read about jonathan:D

Bilbo Baggins
20th August 2001, 10:16
In fact i would rather read about the toilet habits of team NS (for example), rather than how this piece of code was changed to make it work.

I mean that is boring.

coteyr
20th August 2001, 16:17
I feel that my last post may have been a little off. I made it at 6:00am with no sleep and like i said i couldn't see what i was typeing. On the part of

Duh!
A new skin review team has been amassed and is currently re-organizing the skin department.

This is not common news, you'd think that is a person got enough complaints to suggest that there are many threads bashing the skins section of winamp.com that you would post in big ass letters

WINAMP TO REFORME SKIN SECTION

On one hand though I do not want to here how in the main stream of things but maybe in a follow up artical.

Another Problem I have with my own post is every time some one complains i think the should offer a solution to there gripe. Sorry I failed my own standards of this.

About AVS, It is a wonderful pluging when an avrage non programer wants to do something to passify himself. I don't think support for it should be removed. However I do think that there should be a seperat section for avs extions

The plug in issue sounds more like a problem on the devlopment side. I deffinatly think that as winamp moves into major version 3 thatyou keep it backwards compatable.

The crashing problem, well i allready coverd that

As for the main page, I think a little humor is nessory in every day life but why not add in somthing to counter that humor with realty that u may be doing something with winamp. I never got an e-mail or seen it on a main that page that winamp was thinking of beeing updated to 3.?

Heres an idea, maybe winamp could use standard windows media codecs to play filse or download them as neccery so as to cut back on the install size (not that that is a problem but it sounds intresting) or maybe you could come up with a way to replace mp3 files with a diffrent smaller file and include a converter, just some basic ideas.

Katascope
20th August 2001, 19:28
Well, all other ranting aside, I'm going to chime in with the dread "me too" about AVS.

AVS isn't *crap*, it's just a scripting language(more or less), what people make with it is either good or crap. I do think there should be two sections for plugins though a "Plugins" section with all the Most Recent/Most download/etc. . ., and an "AVS Plugins" section with Most Recent/Most download/etc. . I have to wonder if the reason this hasn't happened(because everyone seems to want it) is because all the plugins that have already been submitted don't have the info on whether it's an AVS or not. If that's the case, it could only be solved by searching through the file(except there are different ways of archiving, so which technique do you use. . .).

That's my best guess as to why AVS isn't seperated from DLL plugins. It's too late to go back, and it just gets worse with time.

-Katascope

s1138
20th August 2001, 20:07
the main page has had, humorous and serious stories...dealing with naked month and that bitch of steves, to, music subscription.

and of course, you can never get tired of sayin it. winamp3 is alpha..of course they dont announce it.

ElChevelle
20th August 2001, 22:10
Originally posted by coteyr
This is not common news, you'd think that is a person got enough complaints to suggest that there are many threads bashing the skins section of winamp.com that you would post in big ass lettersWINAMP TO REFORME SKIN SECTION

WINAMP TO REFORM SKIN SECTION:p

bschuler
23rd August 2001, 00:35
Thanks ELChevelle.. now all we need is a link on the main winamp page to this thread so people know what is going on with winamp, that shouldn't be too hard though. I even got the title, "What happens when Johnathan steps out to pee, and nobody is looking (or alternative title, Winamp NEWS)" I would have that news, plus info about the ALPHA,plus maybe a monthly HOW TO article(convert to wav, use a remote control, remove a plugin, etc). Sure beats what you'd get from these forums. Imagine that though, a website with valuable information...how unusual.

As far as AVS and plugins go...scrap them all and start over, if that is what the problem is. Let the users resubmit them. If the creators are as proud of them as they act like they are..They should still have a copy of the crap, No? Winamp.com shouldn't let itself become the trash recepticle of the talentless, as it's quickly getting known as. Fake a server crash if need be..but do something PLEASE to seperate AVS from PLUGINS! I'm dropping the news plea from now on and strictly concentrating on saving the world from AVS insanity. I'll save 'em all before it warps their mind like it did mine..... 9000 clicks later..and I downloaded only 3 real plugins....Ahhhh! :eek:

ElChevelle
23rd August 2001, 00:42
Call me Chev:)
*blows smoke off the tip of the recently fired gun*