PDA

View Full Version : Skinning Tools are the Devil's oven mitts

Mea
20th August 2001, 16:47
I know it's been griped about before, but I need to vent and this looks like the place.

I've been checking up on the new skins often, hopeing to find something new and neat to download that looks like some work went into it.

Yesterday, I slogged through over 200 frickin' skins before I found one that didn't look like it took five minutes to do. That's over 200 skins that invovled the "creator" taking some picture or picking some color/gradient and loading into a skinning program, or just making minor color corrections to the base amp and fobbing it off as a "work of art".:mad:

I know the skin review squad is backlogged, and now I know why - all these people who don't give a damn about making something that actually requires real work and effort:eek:

I hear they're going to be modifying the skins section. Can't do it soon enough for me.

I used a skinning program on my first skin (the Cyanide Shop to be exact). It was nice for only one thing - it made it easier to break down the skin into sections. What it spit out without modifications sucked; it took some work to get something decent that I was happy with. My second skin (still waiting to be published behind this backlog of skinner skins) didn't use a skin editor at all, just Fireworks and Textpad. It's not that hard people! It doesn't have to be gorgeous, but fer God's sake, put some EFFORT into it.

ARGH!

Okay, I feel better. You may go back to your other rantings.

-Mea
These opinions are mine, you may ignore them as you see fit.

Matt
20th August 2001, 20:14
Rename this forum anyone?

Something like Winamp.com Skin Bitchlist :rolleyes:

ElChevelle
20th August 2001, 22:16
All these friggin skinny bitches are making my skin crawl!

It's been bitched about already, just look at every other thread and find one to post your frustrations in. Before I rip your skin off!:p

fish
20th August 2001, 22:48
Thank you, Captain Funny :D

the real Slade
21st August 2001, 07:48
i tryed using skinning progs but they all suck if you really want to
get quality out of skinns you need to pour blood, sweat and tears
into it and believe me IM SICK OF IT!!!!

the ammout of times ive fucked up a skin and had to restart the whole
thing again is phenominal :(

ElChevelle
21st August 2001, 13:58
It's a learning experience.
To become a master of skinning takes many completed skins.
There's no such way to create an awesome skin with any skinner program or without many nut-busting mistakes. I condone the use of skinner programs, however, for people that want a particular skin but have no one to make it for them. More often than not, skins are pictured in the Mind's Eye, which makes them impossible to relay to those who have the tools and facets to create that skin.

the real Slade
23rd August 2001, 02:02
ive still yet to complete 1 skin... :p
im making sure its damn good b4 i go posting it up on the web site...

and if it never gets there you'll know i gave up... :D

:eek: converting *.jpg to *.bmp SUCKS i need a new ver of photoshop :eek: :rolleyes:

on another subject but still skins, i wish they would be organized
better, the stupid danzig skinns are every where
USE YOUR FUCKING BRAINS AND COMMON SENSE AND PUT THEM WHERE THEY BELONG :mad:

EvilDick23
23rd August 2001, 12:26
I wouldn't mind skinning programs so much if it weren't for the fact that you browse through the Most Recent section and see 5 skins submitted by the same person with only the picture changed. I've tried the programs before, and they may be good for home use, but they really have no business being submitted as an original skin. It's just hard to accept seeing all these types of skins and not being able to appreciate the ones that people spent days designing and perfecting. I'm starting to view these Skinamps as the equivalent of SPAM. Just restating what I know has been expressed countless times before.

Mea
23rd August 2001, 13:23
Too bad there's no way to view filter out the skinner skins when scanning through the new ones. Even if Nullsoft implemented a view filter on the skin area redesign, and even if you were to filter out those skins of the "generated" category, that's not going to stop seeing all the ones by people who don't admit that they used a skinning program, even when they did.

At least I'm starting to see some skins that people worked on again.

-Mea
(thinks J Rob needs a prozac or a 2 by 4 upside the head)

Fire Jollyranch
24th August 2001, 18:32
Skinner Skins

I know there is a lot of talk about skinner skins and where they belong. Even Nullsoft Staff is buying into it. I’ve seen the “hate group” reviews on various skins and yes a lot of them are really bad but many are really good to. All you see is a skinner skin so they’re just junk to those who create skins by hand (not from the people who download them).

An Artist takes (his/her) canvas, paint, and brushes and finds a beautiful site to paint a picture. It takes the artist a long time to create the picture (he/she) was looking for. It was hard work and the artist put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to create the perfect picture.

A photographer takes his camera and lenses and finds the same beautiful site and picks the lens (he/she) needs, checks the lighting and snaps a few pictures and is done in minutes.

The artist and photographer displays there work in a gallery. Which one is the masterpiece? Answer: they both are. The photographer knew how to use the tool (his/her) camera the get the perfect picture.

A tourist sees the same beautiful site and takes a quick picture. Is it a masterpiece? Probably not except to them and their family. Why is it not a masterpiece? (He/she) just did not know how to use the tool.

So lets give the tourist (not the photographer) a place to put (his/her) skins. Not in the main stream of skins, but lets also give the tourist the information they need to learn how to use that tool. The Artist and Photographer had to learn their trade.

If you know of any site or are willing to give good advice (other then stop using the skinner software) to the skinner then Nullsoft can be what it should be, A fun place to share the skins you created. It’s the people who download the skins that judge them.

Mea
24th August 2001, 19:57
So lets give the tourist (not the photographer) a place to put (his/her) skins. Not in the main stream of skins, but lets also give the tourist the information they need to learn how to use that tool. The Artist and Photographer had to learn their trade.

There is an art site I frequent that has multiple galleries, including a Beginners gallery for people who are new and maybe want to learn. Perhaps we need a skin category like that.

If you know of any site or are willing to give good advice (other then stop using the skinner software) to the skinner then Nullsoft can be what it should be, A fun place to share the skins you created. It’s the people who download the skins that judge them.

I wish I did, but when I learned, I blundered through on my own,and having completed only two skins so far, I don't think I qualify as expert yet.

By the way, my gripe is not so much "skinner skins", but laziness. If you need to use a skinner program to get started, fine, but for heaven's sake put a little EFFORT into your work. Don't just slap a picture in there, generate, and say you're done. That is why the skin review squad is drowning in crappy skins. It's all because of lazy people who don't give a damn about putting any work into their creation.

-Mea
(still waiting to get #2 published):(

moolder
24th August 2001, 23:24
Originally posted by Mea

If you need to use a skinner program to get started, fine, but for heaven's sake put a little EFFORT into your work. Don't just slap a picture in there, generate, and say you're done. That is why the skin review squad is drowning in crappy skins.

Yep. I tried skinamp, and it really isnt such a bad thing, for example for getting a background to start on without having to pixel-fit it in the button-bitmaps etc. but thats the start, not the end of the process, think I.

My first skin (which got published some weeks ago :-D ) took three months of painting, using and changing again, until I was happy with the outcome... I'd be sad to see it drowned in skinner skins.
(BTW, here it is: http://www.winamp.com/components/detail.jhtml?componentId=73193 ).

So a category for these "look I've only used a skinner tool" skins would be great, BUT you would also need an advanced search mask, where you could say things like "top user rated AND NOT skinner skin". (If there is such a thing please ignore my ramblings, thx).

CU,
moolder