PDA

View Full Version : 100% irked (again)

Forevever
23rd August 2001, 18:17
This guy

Author's Comment:
Send me your Opinien to reigenesis@freeenet.de

Has just about clogged the entire "most recent" catagory with nothing but skinner skins. We're talking pages and pages of them. No MB's, no AVS's, just plain old, really really bad, skinner.exe skins. Close to a hundred if not more (and I'm only up to like the 300th skin)...

This is why there is such an enormous backlog you know. Its in your guys power to fix this type of thing.

I beg you to do something!!

Mr Jones
23rd August 2001, 18:21
More complaints over insignificant skins, take a look around there are a lot more shitty things happening around here, than a few skinner.exe fuckin skins.:(

Forevever
23rd August 2001, 18:23
well sorry if this is on the top of my list.
want me to complain about something else? give me a list of options.

Mr Jones
23rd August 2001, 18:26
Why dont you complain about AOL canning members of the NS team today, im sure who's left will be really happy to look into those skins that are blighting your day so much, while their colleagues clear their desks.

bobo
23rd August 2001, 18:29
winamp.com need to lift up the good skins. i mean 4 star skins that isn't good enough to be "featured" don't get any dl's because of this skinner shit. it's this sites biggest problem if you ask me. this site should be more like 1001. the only good skins getting any attention are the featured ones. like 4 or 5 skins. this system suck.

Forevever
23rd August 2001, 18:29
You don't want me to get started on AoL...
I got plenty to bitch about those people.

::walks away before she starts flaming someone::

Since AOL, like most large corporations, tend to f**k everyone over eventually, my only comment would be "Don't join them".

Mr Jones
23rd August 2001, 18:32
Originally posted by Forevever
You don't want me to get started on AoL...
I got plenty to bitch about those people.

::walks away before she starts flaming someone::

Good Im glad to hear it, as I just said, people are loosing their jobs around here, skins are the least important thing at the minute.

The Only Lynx
23rd August 2001, 18:56
they sacked ANOTHER bunch of NS staff?!?!! wankers.. do they do the same at icq? or do they get special treatment?!?!?!

aol sucks.. their internet sucks too.. its shitty connection...

Lucid DM
23rd August 2001, 19:03
They're sacking NS staff?! What?!?!
God damn stupid AOL. How the hell did they get so rich?!:mad:

Riksruin
23rd August 2001, 20:58
Originally posted by Lucid DM
They're sacking NS staff?! What?!?!
God damn stupid AOL. How the hell did they get so rich?!:mad:

i think u just answered ur own question there Lucid

BullGawD
23rd August 2001, 21:08
Thanks for the post MJ - I was wondering what news you were reffering to last time you responded to me. That sucks. :(

Duk
23rd August 2001, 23:04
I was wondering the same, BG, but am too darn lazy to run around to front pages and find such stuff. ;)

Damn. I had no idea. Why does this not surprise me tho. AOL is so large a company, when they go to trim the "fat", the place they chop away at is rarely a good one. A shame. :(

Forever, to eliminate all skinner skins would be effectively killing what makes Winamp so great ... it's ease of use and ease of skinning for the newbie. The hope is that after a guy or gal uses skinner, they'll wanna achieve a better result. It's a start, ya might say.

Now as for being bombed with skinner.exe in the most recent page, I say this ... it's sad that one guy seeks to churn out a hundred (give or take) of these things, but just be happy you don't HAVE to look at them if you don't want to. Seriously, the first and last time they will ever bee seen is in the Most Recent page. And when WA3 comes along in a year or so, skinner.exe will most likely be eliminated ... that is, until a newer version of the app pops up. :sigh: :)

Mr Jones
23rd August 2001, 23:07
Originally posted by Duk
A shame. :(

It's so much more than a shame:(

Mr. Bojanglez
24th August 2001, 02:54
Originally posted by bobo
winamp.com need to lift up the good skins. i mean 4 star skins that isn't good enough to be "featured" don't get any dl's because of this skinner shit. it's this sites biggest problem if you ask me. this site should be more like 1001. the only good skins getting any attention are the featured ones. like 4 or 5 skins. this system suck.

grrrrrr, damn straight....

lookey there i have 900 posts....

chiquita chad
24th August 2001, 03:23
wow... that sucks that AOL fired them guys/gals

if they took away all the skinner.exe skins, what would be left? maybe 4000 skins

Duk
24th August 2001, 04:26
And if they take away all of the developers, what would be left? Nothing, I guess. :(

Forevever
24th August 2001, 04:29
Originally posted by Duk
just be happy you don't HAVE to look at them if you don't want to
Actually duk I have to look at them if I want to see whats being produced. I have no choice.
I look forward to browsing the most recent catagory. I like seeing whats going on with new skins. I hate having to look at 950 bad skins just to see the good 50.

Originally posted by chiquita chad
if they took away all the skinner.exe skins, what would be left? maybe 4000 skins

That would be plenty for me. I expect if the other thousands upon thousands of skinners who are constantly and consistantly doing Skinner.exe skins were to keep getting rejection emails, it would motivate them to do something better. Posting them only encourages it.

BullGawD
24th August 2001, 14:58
right. See how you don't have to browse the most recent though? It's just something you want to do. Winamp is not going to delete the skinner.exe skins, because as has been said time and time again by MJ and Duk. Skinning is part of what makes winamp such a great app. This site is not an elite site; this is a site for john q. beerfart to submit what he thinks is an alright skin. If you'll notice - Winamp is freeeeee. That means the company here gets no direct income from it. What they get are maybe a few bucks through banner links, and a big PR boost from having lots and lots of happy peeps. And to be frank - there are a lot more happy skinners making exe skins, than there are pissed-off-about-it people like you. Now who do you think corporate is going to cater to? Especially given that you still shop winamp.com? I understand that you don't like it. You have no idea how badly I want to hit reject every time one comes up. But it's not going to happen. Sorry. :(

BTW - I used to like that skin love kept their bitching in house. But I'm starting to agree with Mike. This belongs in Bitchlist. :rolleyes:

Forevever
24th August 2001, 17:21
feel free to move it to the bitchlist, I actually thought of it too late. I hate clogging the forum with this same complaint over and over, as much as I hate seeing multiple skinners in my most recent catagory.

On the AoL note, they let any old moron put up any old stupid Hometown web page... so the odds are that we are stuck with skinner.exe skins until AoL produces their own software for making them (which they will I'm sure).

I'd like to end this topic by saying to NS... sorry you guys sold out to AoL. Wish you would've thought harder on it. Hindsight is always 20/20...

garetjax
24th August 2001, 18:10
I agree on both points. And I agree that it sux that NS has lost team members.

But, I want to say that I love winamp for two reasons.
a) Plays Music
b) Has Kewl Skins

But, eventually if in fact it continues in the trend of skinner.exe skins I may wake to find something else equally loving on my computer.
I want nothing but, winamp to succeed but they are not because, more frequently than ever are people I'm sure not coming here. Why? Because, of the skinner.exe population of skins and the rips. Winamp.com was and has been on my favorites site list since the beginning and I have always found this place to be a home on the net, Regardless of the ranting and raving I may do and that will likely not change for awhile. However, my feelings not due to forum rants are starting to reverse. At first my belief that this is a good place for newbies to start and skin their first skins. And it is but, winamp.com is turning into that and only that. A place for newbies to put up their skins, while the people that have struggled to get their skins looking ever so kick-ass are no longer getting recognition so they are turning to others to provide that service of recognition. (hence deviant.art and others). I see it as a win lose scenario right now. Winamp.com wins short term but, loses in the long run (because, qualified skinners start walking away to other sources).

I mean the reason why the other places are popular is because, they cater to the shortcomings in this system. Why not just surpass all the b.s. and make winamp into the system that caters to the actual development of skins not the newbie generator slap into database site.

For me when I see skinner.exe skins I just really want to skip them when I review but, as its not right to pass off so much junk to others I sit and review them as best I can given that there are literally thousands of the same looking skins. Its not fair to either winamp.com staff and certainly not to the guy making the skin to remember his favorite image.

<< I'm done...

Forevever
24th August 2001, 21:36
Originally posted by garetjax
I'm done...

I do not ever wish to see the day come when Jax is done.

Fire Jollyranch
24th August 2001, 22:51
Skinner Skins (not all of them are bad) Yeah I posted this already

I know there is a lot of talk about skinner skins and where they belong. Even Nullsoft Staff is buying into it. I’ve seen the “hate group” reviews on various skins and yes a lot of them are really bad but many are really good to. All you see is a skinner skin so they’re just junk to those who create skins by hand (not from the people who download them).

An Artist takes (his/her) canvas, paint, and brushes and finds a beautiful site to paint a picture. It takes the artist a long time to create the picture (he/she) was looking for. It was hard work and the artist put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to create the perfect picture.

A photographer takes his camera and lenses and finds the same beautiful site and picks the lens (he/she) needs, checks the lighting and snaps a few pictures and is done in minutes.

The artist and photographer displays there work in a gallery. Which one is the masterpiece? Answer: they both are. The photographer knew how to use the tool (his/her) camera the get the perfect picture.

A tourist sees the same beautiful site and takes a quick picture. Is it a masterpiece? Probably not except to them and their family. Why is it not a masterpiece? (He/she) just did not know how to use the tool.

So lets give the tourist (not the photographer) a place to put (his/her) skins. Not in the main stream of skins, but lets also give the tourist the information they need to learn how to use that tool. The Artist and Photographer had to learn their trade.

If you know of any site or are willing to give good advice (other then stop using the skinner software) to the skinner then Nullsoft can be what it should be, A fun place to share the skins you created. It’s the people who download the skins that judge them.

Forevever
25th August 2001, 02:28
Originally posted by Fire Jollyranch
So lets give the tourist (not the photographer) a place to put (his/her) skins. Not in the main stream of skins, but lets also give the tourist the information they need to learn how to use that tool. The Artist and Photographer had to learn their trade.

damn...
I like this guy
Welcome to the forums Fire.

My only comment to you is most of the skinner skins are bad. Sure there's the random one or two that are "ok". But the majority are bad. Even the ones with decent pictures are bad. If'n I want the picture, I'll use it as wallpaper :)

RanDom_ErrOr
25th August 2001, 04:25
this is why when ever someone asks what to do to make a skin i say and i quote...(if they are skinner.exe skins)

since you are new i will spare the flames but....

dood if you are a skinner.exe person then stop using your computer and go find something else to do.

Or you can stop using that program and any other skinner programs and make a skin by your self. (use paint shop pro or Photo shop or even *shudders* MS paint but can the skinner programs (except for a program like EZ buttons to get the placeholders right)) but thats IT.
personally i was a skinner.exe user but then i happened across this forum and i have stopped and now i am a better person for it.

Please if you do use skinner.exe or a skinner program, stop and do it the right way, the less of a hassle way when it does get on to winamp.

please take this as help and not hurt and please please please listen to me and you will be helped in the long run.

Please Please Please Please listen to me and you will go far.

Namelessv1
25th August 2001, 15:58
Welcome to Skin Love, Fire. Bo suggested something alot like that. Sorta like a "Minor League."

Fire Jollyranch
26th August 2001, 00:47
OK, Im a little lazy but I use the skinner for the layout and customize from there. I've created my own templates. Some times it takes 2 or 3 skinner skins to make the final one. this way i can see where I want to place the various images.

I use PhotoImpact to do the rest of the work. I am not an artist, I can't even draw stick figures, but I do know how to color and where I think the image(s) should go.

The mini browser I do by hand or cheat and make a blank playlist skinner file to cut and paste on the browser template I have. I do have to admit I missed the AVS file and will have to add that to my to do list. Also cursers (damn I saw some cool ones)

But my real point is I do this for fun and that is what it should be for FUN. OK maybe to show off also.

I don't like the skinner skins that are created without doing anything to them. But like me we are not all gifted with the ability to create true art so we do what we can, I just wish some of them would do more and others would be less critical.

Fire, I voted option 3