PDA

View Full Version : I hate rap

fish
11th November 2001, 14:53
Since when was any old bum off the street able to sign a record deal?
People who have absolutely NO talent can moan into microphones and make millions of dollars. *cough*JaRule*cough* I mean JaRule in particular. He has NO vocal talent whatsoever, but he gets millions of screaming fans and hot women. Trey Anastasio of Phish has tons of vocal talent, and MORE women. What does that tell you? nothing. My point is that any average loser can set up a drum loop and start rhyming and make tons of Money.

Then why can't Robert Frost be a rapper? He rhymes. He makes tons on money already. But he can't. it's because he's not BLACK. there's the demographic of people that are only going to buy music if A) their friends listen to it, and B) the singer is someone who they could relate to. Like Aaron Carter (>.<) Lots of little girls like him because he's a gay little boy. But that's drifting from the point. The point is that the people who listen to rap are either people ho think they are unique because they listen to a certain type of music, and so many people try to become unique that it becomes not unique, because everyone's listening to it, and there's the people like the screaming kids on TRL. They listen to it almost entirely because their friends listen to it. It's ALL peer pressire these days. Godforbid you try to be unique. I was talking to someone a few weeks ago about the music they listen to. He just happened to be the typical black teenager who's been hypnotized by the media today. Why? I asked him why he doesn't try to losten to something new. He simply answered "because it's not mainstream, and your gay phish isn't".

Needless to say, I got really not and bothered about this. The same "alternative rap" he was blapping about before was all of a sudden "mainstream" and hip and with it. I went on to say how people who listen to bands who you don't see on MTV every day always tend to be different. Gob forbid you're your own person and don't listen to the crap that's on MTV and most of the radio.

About 10 minutes later, someone sitting by me who overheard the conversation asked what kind of music I did like, since to him it seemed like I hate everything that he's ever heard. and I probably do, since all he does is watch MTV and listen to AOL radio when he gets home to log onto his l33+ AOL (i'm joking, moron). Anyways, I went on to say Phish blah blah Green Day blah Tool blah blah RHCP blah Cake-. He stopped me. "Cake? CAKE? you mean 'I want a girl with a short skirt and a loong jacket', that Cake?" "Yeah", I said, "they rule". "They SUCK", he said. He was judging a band, and possibly an entire genre by a single VERSE in a song that happened to be mistakenly played on MTV. By mistakenly, I mean Cake was never, EVER meant to be mainstream. they're for a small group of prople who can appreciate John McCrea's lovely singing philosophy.

He got into this big speech about how much they sucked compared to everything he's eeen on MTV and AOL radio, pretty much everything th first person said about how they're not mainstream and blah blah.

Come on. fucking COME ON. Just because they're not overpublicized and accompanied by screaming girls doesn't make them bad. Which brings me back to my point. Rap has become waaay too over publicized, over capitalized, and overmoronized. Rap can be good of you subtract the whores, the cheap loops, and everyone who just walked into a studio and recorded something and then put it out in the stores. What networks like MTV do is say "This is what's in, This is whats out, this is what you spend your money on, and this is what you're supposed to hate". All their friends listen to what they say, so they really have no choice but to do what their friends do on fear of being rejected. Like it would be that bad if they're rejected from the big clique anyway. I've been my own person for my entire life, I've never bought a CD that you'd see on MTV (Green Day and RHCP excluded, they walk the fine line between excessive publicity and actually good music.)

I have lots more to say about this, but I'm tred of typing. If you read this, thank you.

KTHXBYE

Mr Jones
11th November 2001, 15:04
Way to rant Phish, yay!

fish
11th November 2001, 15:12
:D

*puts on flame retardant suit*

Bilbo Baggins
11th November 2001, 15:51
*steps out to take the flames*

I agree 1000% with Phish on this.!

chiquita chad
11th November 2001, 18:28
dont u think that's kind of out of line? you singled out blacks, gays, and anyone who listens to rap. i listen to rap. yet i listen to bands like blink 182, the beatles, foo fighters, incubus, you know, the kind of music BLACK people wouldnt be caught dead listening to. i consider my music likes to be unique... and i watch TRL. therefore, im contradicting your ideas. i also don't buy music b/c my friends like it... all my friends love creed... i hate them. i love system of a down; my friends hate them... need i go on?

I just think you're an afraid little boy who is addicted to phish and is pissed off b/c they are done and us rap-listening, TRL screaming, gay little kid sexing, peer-pressure failing, black subculturists are taking over the good music culture.

buh bye

Bilbo Baggins
11th November 2001, 21:04
Phish's point that rappers are black was valid. The example i know of, of a non black rapper, is Eminem, and he is shit.

papadoc
11th November 2001, 21:48
Since when did rap become music?
Sounds more like noise to me.
It's no wonder to me that the people who listen to rap all the time
are usually pissed off all the time about something.
Oh well...just my opinion.

fish
11th November 2001, 21:57
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Phish's point that rappers are black was valid. The example i know of, of a non black rapper, is Eminem, and he is shit.

Let's not forget Vanilla Ice :D

papadoc-
Sounds good to me :)

n_ick2000
11th November 2001, 23:29
Originally posted by papadoc
Since when did rap become music?
Sounds more like noise to me.

I have to agree. I hate rap. It's just not music.:)

Bilbo Baggins
12th November 2001, 00:04
Just wait till we get the rap fans in here...

chiquita chad
12th November 2001, 01:41
i hope you guys arent ever in harlem with a gun when your pissed off

Bop
12th November 2001, 19:41
i agree with some of your points phish (especially on the whole MTV culture crap that has invaded the minds of the youth); but don't disregard ALL rap, there is good rap music out there, unfortunately they are all either long gone or hidden so deep into the underground that no one knows about them; examples:

Tribe Called Quest & Digable Planets(they didn't rap about thugs, hoes, drugs, etc.) plus instead of looping a crappy beat; they mixed jazz with their rhymes, so that the music was more akin to a sort of jazz-scatting

Arrested Development mixed african beats, and hippie philosophy to advocate a peaceful world (they also rhymed about important topics)

also: Afrika Bambaataa, Missy Elliot (she uses tabla beats!), Us3, Fugees, and come on HEAVY D was funny man!

take into account the amount of bands that are not classified as "rap artists" but rap anyways; beta band, tricky, g love & special sauce, gorillaz, BEASTIE BOYS, i mean listen to bob dylan's "subterranean homesick blues" it was rap before rap had a name

i don't hate rap itself, i think it can be done very well, what i dislike (HATE) is the whole ghetto attitude; white & women-bashing, constant drug, & violence referneces- the music has become very redundant

but remember also that phish played a number of covers of rap songs; didn't you enjoy them? phish's version of "Gettin' Jiggy With It" is great, but Will Smith's version is nice too. they're just different. don't disregard ALL of a type of music just cuz you hate an attitude--> there are well-meaning & talented folks who engage in rap (or any other type of music for that matter) :)

fish
12th November 2001, 20:16
Originally posted by Boplicity
but remember also that phish played a number of covers of rap songs; didn't you enjoy them? phish's version of "Gettin' Jiggy With It" is great, but Will Smith's version is nice too. they're just different. don't disregard ALL of a type of music just cuz you hate an attitude--> there are well-meaning & talented folks who engage in rap (or any other type of music for that matter) :)

Ok, I was generalizing a bit :)
Phish's version of GJWI and Rusted Root's version with Phish of Gin and Juice were hilarious =)

papadoc
12th November 2001, 21:09
Points well made Boplicity.

And I do agree that "Subterranean Homesick Blues" would today be considered rap.
Which proves that it can be done right.
But you'd never hear it on MTV.
I'd never hear it there anyway, cause I quit watching MTV
a long time ago.

John M
13th November 2001, 00:06
i listen to what i like. right now i'm listening to an alt. rock band called symphony x. but after that the track changes to a Kardinal Offishall track. why? cuz i like it. but TRL is shit. 30 second snippets of crap videos from crap bands, and then miscellaneous other crap.

Xerxes
13th November 2001, 02:12
Just wait till we get the rap fans in here...

WAJOO BE SAYIN DAWG? ARE YOU TRIPPIN BEKUZ I KNOW YOU AINT TRIPPIN G

Yeah just wait until the rap people come. They will find that won't be able to make a point because of their incomprehensible ebonics which make them look oh so intelligent and informed :rolleyes:

I would just like to point out that as the most..."conservative"... music listener on the boards (Does anyone want to challenge me for that position?;)) I find most modern music revolting and repugnant. And the music that consistantly is the most AWFUL, with the WORST message, and MOST ROTTEN production value, is Rap. It is at the same time painful and unimaginable to think how the same humanity has produced both Bach and Eminem, and the degrees of degeneration in between.

Its artists live hypocritical lives, singing things about ghettos and hard knock lives while living in hard marble mansions with everything down to the doorbell in gaudy gold plated 24k "extravagence". (Bling bling they call it) Is it me, or does P Diddy imitate Liberace's style down to the fur stole around his ugly neck? Well I guess they both subscribe to something Mr. Liberace once said about his clothes- "They may look funny but they get me the money"

Rap is music. But barely- it has relenquished many of the basic qualities of music shortly after the MC Hammer days as it transformed into drumbeat and sample gangsta mode. And now even it has degenerated to a point where it samples from early gangsta songs. Eventually they will be sampling from sampled samples. It is a stagnant pool with very low artistic or aesthetic value. Most of the artists now rely on shock value which works and has worked for awhile in music (Eminem) but everytime proves to be a failed device (M.Manson) as it gets old quickly. I have heard some rap by a fellow named outkast who seems be popular because he sings about non-ho related things- something about bombs over baghdad and another being fresh and clean. The production value seems to be higher, so maybe this whole "gangsta" thing could be the "nadir" of rap and the whole medium might rebound (Although very slowly)

Now enough about that; i don't want to provoke any would be hoodlums to drive by mail bomb me.

TRL - a year back my sister was in a pizza hut commercial with Carson Daly (Daily? Daaly?) and when she came back to school she was mobbed by not just high school girls but junior high school girls. Look people this is pop music- simple simple bubble gum. I have said many times before on that its not a new phenomenon- its been here in its modern form since the partridge family and the monkees. It panders to the masses. The producers create the bands and songs almost like chemicals- they are scientifically DESIGNED and formulated from the start to be loved by millions. Don't get mad, just don't listen. Realize that pop is here to stay. I Don't mind pop, its mindless gobbedlygook. I Do mind rap... because I don't like my brother (literal blood brother, not as black people mean it ;)) being into Pimps and whores. In the first half of this century, those people were undesirables:rolleyes: Rap in its current incarnation has a slow corrosive effect on people... and society. Its not just mindless ghetto slang ... its corrupt to the core.

-Xerxes (A player hater in the true meaning of the word)

John M
13th November 2001, 02:51
Originally posted by Xerxes
-Xerxes (A player hater in the true meaning of the word) yeah, i think we figured that out.

yo dawg before i bust from this joint i gotta leave dis piece of advice cuz there be mad opinions up in here, ya heard?

'To each his own'

str8 thug,

John M

p.s.> i got so much bling i chrome my floppy disks :p :D :rolleyes:

Xerxes
13th November 2001, 04:25
To each, his own music.

But also, to each his own opinion

Word to yo'mutha

weedsatan
13th November 2001, 05:24
And that's the truth.
What you may hate, another loves.
what is heaven for you, is hell on some other one's ears..
Don't say your genre is the only one.. they all got listeners..

Bilbo Baggins
13th November 2001, 09:46
Obviously you have been smoking again today :p

jns
16th November 2001, 13:41
Doesn't he always? :rolleyes::p

missyob
16th November 2001, 15:13
Originally posted by papadoc
It's no wonder to me that the people who listen to rap all the time are usually pissed off all the time about something.
Oh well...just my opinion.

Hi there love. You are entitled to your opinion, however your statement is untrue. You are taking music and putting everyone who listens to this type of music and putting them into a catagory.

I personally listen to rap and R&B most of the time. The music can be sensual. Take a minute and listen to R. Kelly. I feel gangastar rap gives the whole rap music culture a bad deal. There are very talented artists out there if you just give it a chance.

John M has proven to me that you can be a good rapper and not be all about drugs, violence, ect....... :)

To each his/her own.

Big Hugs all,

~ Missy

papadoc
16th November 2001, 20:47
Hey Missy...no problem.
I guess I did paint with a broad brush.
The rap I speak of is the drug, violence, sexist hateful garbage that
calls itself music. There are too many young people who live this message.
And that pains me.
I once posted here a long time ago about a radio station here in OKC,
kokf-fm (http://www.kokf.com/index.html), that spreads the word of spirituality and God
by the way of all kinds of music,
from dance to trance to rock to metal to R&B to headbanger to folk to rap.
I'm all for it.
I don't understand some of it including the rap, but I know the message is good.
I guess I'm just old fashioned.

John M
17th November 2001, 03:38
The quest of each generation is to separate itself from the previous generation. This is necessary for societal advancement. The generation must define itself by alienating the previous one in order to gain a specific identity.

for our parents, it was rock, for us, its rap.

missyob
17th November 2001, 03:46
Originally posted by John M

for our parents, it was rock, for us, its rap.

I listen to rock and rap, what does that make me???? I guess very confused :)

~ Missy

hyperoptik
18th November 2001, 02:06
you know, i'm mixed. i like hip-hop, not rap particularly. for me, rap is an instrument constantly laid over supposedly "fresh" beats. i mean, listen to outkast. they're more of a singer-rapper group with fresh contemp. r & b beats. dre is more of rappa dawg wit def hip-hoppin' beats. all rap is, is meaningless lyrics about fame and fortune, and love laid over annoying music. but i like it. i also like dance music, garage music, MJ COLE in particularly, dj spinna, MY music, any electronica, techno, triphop, dub, techno, r&b, contemporary r&b, some rock, you know. but if you catch me at my home, you won't like what i'm playing.

oh by da way:
EXECUTIVE LOUNGE: BIG TYME rulez! and that song is purely hip-hop. INDEPENDENT hip-hop.

chiquita chad
18th November 2001, 04:23
i listen to the ganster rap as well as the inspirational rap (2Pac, R. Kelly, Jagged Edge, etc)
i dont smoke weed... i dont snort lines, i dont rape sluts, i dont carouse, i dont kill, etc etc etc
face it, there's alot of quality rap out there. just because you dont like doesnt give you the right to stereotype anyone who listens to it

think a little more open minded please

Xerxes
19th November 2001, 06:43
The quest of each generation is to separate itself from the previous generation.

But interestingly, each generation generally imitates with the two generations that came before the previous generation. Bizarre bizarre bizarre.

rm'
19th November 2001, 07:21

I would just like to point out that as the most..."conservative"... music listener on the boards (Does anyone want to challenge me for that position?;))

I'm getting there. Just you wait.

Anyhow, I'd like to throw my firm support behind Xerxes and Bop. As Xerxes so well put it, modern rap is becoming a form of intense moral and aesthetic corruption, and is continually degenerating. But, Bop pointed out that even though rap may be degenerate, it's not fair to label all of Black music as such (oh, screw you. You know that's what it is as much as I do). Remember, both rap and rock found their roots in the Jazz era.

weedsatan
19th November 2001, 10:48
Originally posted by jns
Doesn't he always? :rolleyes::p

*sigh*

You and BB too, you really think you're TEH PHUNNY aren't you?

Bilbo Baggins
19th November 2001, 20:06
:(

DJ ROACH
19th November 2001, 21:30
sample of tribe called quest
http://dj_roach.***********/tribesample.zip
check it out its not bad stuff i realy dig tribe they are very eclectic in their raps and beats you may like it.

John M
19th November 2001, 23:06
Originally posted by Radioactive Man
Remember, both rap and rock found their roots in the Jazz era. which found its roots in the slave spirituals.

papadoc
19th November 2001, 23:09
Lets not forget the Blues and when they came into the picture?

Holy Monarch
1st December 2001, 00:34
Well, first and foremost; people, and I repeat, people who use winamp don't listen to Rap. People who enjoy music will naturaly go out to the web and find the best God damn player they can in order to get the best, freaking experience they can. Since we did conclude that Rap doesn't qualify as music, all other people still use what they have on their computers to listen to Rap, most likely that old Windows 95 media player, hehehe. I heard that one fella thought he could only listen to music through AOL's internal, built-in player, so every time he'd want to play rap, he would have to login to AOL. People who listen to rap, my friends, usualy don't know what .mp3 stands for. That's why the whole Rap industry is doing so well, because majority of their "fans" go out, and spend their drug-dealing dollars to buy their albums, as the term "download" is foreign to them. I live in NY, the fucking capital of RAP and MTV, so I can relate. Rap induces violence, segregation, and hatred; yes, that's why people who listen to Rap walk around pissed off all the time. Bottom line is, if you are reading this, there's a very good chance that you don't listen to Rap, thus, you stayed in school, and can read. :D

Thank you for taking the time to read.

fish
1st December 2001, 00:39
I agree. God forbid you're your own person :)

DJ ROACH
1st December 2001, 00:54
Originally posted by Holy Monarch
Rap induces violence, segregation, and hatred; yes, that's why people who listen to Rap walk around pissed off all the time.

or they read your post.

Holy Monarch
1st December 2001, 01:03
Originally posted by DJ ROACH

or they read your post.

You must be from mid-west, no? :) It's all fun and games there for you, isn't it? Why don't you crawl out from underneath your trailer, and come back to civilization. It's not all bread and butter, my friend, but I do enjoy your feedback. Keep it real, brotha. :cool:

missyob
1st December 2001, 01:13
Well, first and foremost; people, and I repeat, people who use winamp don't listen to Rap.

People who listen to rap, my friends, usualy don't know what .mp3 stands for. That's why the whole Rap industry is doing so well, because majority of their "fans" go out, and spend their drug-dealing dollars to buy their albums, as the term "download" is foreign to them. I live in NY, the fucking capital of RAP and MTV, so I can relate. Rap induces violence, segregation, and hatred; yes, that's why people who listen to Rap walk around pissed off all the time. Bottom line is, if you are reading this, there's a very good chance that you don't listen to Rap, thus, you stayed in school, and can read.

I fully understand that everyone in the World is entitled to their own opinion and to voice that.

With that said, I use Winamp and I listen to rap music. I do not do drugs, or smoke crack. I am a very responsible parent raising 3 boys. The term download is not foreign to me, as a matter of fact, I am downloading music at this very moment. I do not walk around angry all the time, as a matter of fact, I am a pretty happy go lucky person. I know how to read and write. I am educated, and hold down a job.

I think you need to open your eyes for a second and realize that you are being very judgemental just because of a type of music someone listens to.

Have a good day, and I mean that. I am a much better person than you.

~ Missy

DJ ROACH
1st December 2001, 01:54

You must be from mid-west, no? :) It's all fun and games there for you, isn't it? Why don't you crawl out from underneath your trailer, and come back to civilization. It's not all bread and butter, my friend, but I do enjoy your feedback. Keep it real, brotha. :cool:

crawl out from underneath my trailer, naw i wouldnt do such a thing, thats were i keep my cold pabst blue ribon at, if i keep it in the house my wife will drink it and tack another 25lbs on to here already 350lbs gansta rap listen'n white trash trailer park ass.
http://dj_roach.***********/PabstDrinker.GIF

papadoc
1st December 2001, 02:28
hay wate just a minit
come on bak hear wit my pbr DJRoach
u said i could stay under this hear trl wiht u
an keep an i on the beer.
It's dark tho an I'm sceared.

rm'
1st December 2001, 03:45
Aw, shucks, Papa! Ain't there nothing down there to be afeared of.. it's just Geech and her doggiebabies nestin' down under there. Heck, y'all just c'mon down, and i'll give you one of em doggiebabies fer huntin er guarden yer trayler for ya. There's a-plenty of them doggiebabies to go around, I reckon.

DJ ROACH
1st December 2001, 04:04
sirry guyyys, jus win'n down ta thas stores for some mo pbr's
drinkem well theys warm.

papadoc
1st December 2001, 04:48
ah heck DJ roach thanky fer them pbr's.
But ifn you don't mind, keep dat 350lb gangsta rap
listen'n white trash traler park ass wife a yourn's up yonder
so we kin drink our pbrs with RM and she won't run Geech and them
doggiebabies off.

DJ ROACH
1st December 2001, 06:36
weeedogie we's hav'n some funns now, i gave her some uf thems food stamps to gouts on tha town for some funns.

epidemic88
1st December 2001, 09:18
well altho phish makes a good point .. it doesnt really matter if its rap or metal or what ever .. music is a large part of the us ecconomy .. and it help keep the money flowing into smaller ppl and companies .. so altho i hate the music .. i dont get to upset when ppl listen to it .. or think they are "cool" for doing so .. if they want to be diluted .. then let them be .. they will never know what they missed

personal .. my opinion is to find a way to get part of the money .. how ever it may be .. cuz .. chances are you dont have to be much of a "salesman .. or woman" to pitch something to them .. and they tend to be pretty easy with the money when they can spend 20mill on a house

but that means you have to be able to stand their music for a min or two .. but i must say all the rappers i know .. they dont mind listening to some pink floyed .. or led zepplin

fish
1st December 2001, 23:09
After listening to the Westwood one BNL show last night I thought about this.

I don't like some (read:most) rap, because most rap has something to do with whining about living in the ghetto or something.

People like MC Face (a.k.a. Tom Green) and the Barenaked Ladies' impromptu raps are really cool. They sound great and they are musical.

DJ ROACH
2nd December 2001, 00:45
Tom Green-Thug Life (http://dj_roach.***********/tom_green-_thug_life.zip) :D just for you.

fish
2nd December 2001, 01:47
Tom Green-Thug Life (http://dj_roach.***********/tom_green-_thug_life.zip) :D just for you.

AHAHAHAHAHA

I love that man :D

Thanks, Roach =)

missyob
2nd December 2001, 14:26

Roach,

That was so funny, I could not stop laughing!!! Thanks for sharing :)

~ Missy

DJ ROACH
2nd December 2001, 18:33
your very welcome :D

DJ ROACH
3rd December 2001, 17:41
hate eminem? wana here something funny? check this out its funny as hell.

funny eminem diss (http://home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem diss.zip)

missyob
5th December 2001, 05:18
Mr. Roach,

I downloaded the file, went to unzip it and got the following error. Please help me out, what did I do wrong???

Extracting to "C:\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Error in file #1: bad Zip file offset (Error local header signature not found): disk #1 offset: 0

Thanks!

~ Missy

DJ ROACH
5th December 2001, 13:54
ok here its fixed, eminem diss, sorry! (http://home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem diss.zip)

missyob
5th December 2001, 14:42
I am just glad it wasnt something I was doing wrong. I heard that song before. It is pretty funny. Have you ever heard the eminem kermit the frog song? That makes me laugh so hard!

Have a great day!

~ Missy

DJ ROACH
5th December 2001, 15:02
i havent heard it before ( i dont think i have anyway )

jns
5th December 2001, 15:09
ok here its fixed, eminem diss, sorry! (http://home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem diss.zip)
You know that you use / and not \?
The correct link would be http://home1.gte.net/res0ia5q/eminem diss.zip :rolleyes:

DJ ROACH
5th December 2001, 15:50
who cares, it works. it actually shows it that way in my sight manager, so.... at any rate yeah...umm....so is that what you do with your spare time? :D j/k it does show it that way in my directory, so it works either way, however this board corrects the \ to / you could type it in your browser to and it work.
"http://home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem%20diss.zip" paste that in your browser and see.

jns
5th December 2001, 17:32
Yeah. Try to find the server home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem%20diss.zip

Open whatever command-line-prompt you use and try ping home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem%20diss.zip

or tracert home1.gte.net\res0ia5q\eminem%20diss.zip

:rolleyes:

The thing is. It does not work.
It is not standard compliant.

deftool
5th December 2001, 20:58
ok, heres my opinion on rap, about 90% of rap does suck, it takes no talent whatsoever to just talk to a damn drum loop and have a girl with a good voice sing the chorus , its the rap formula, and it sells cause people are morons. THIS IS NOT A RACIST COMMENT but its true that ALMOST every black person likes rap , why? cause their friends listen to it and its a culture thing. ever see a white guy listen to rap, look how they dress and act, its ridicilus, and it gets a good laugh outta me. i like rock because it takes talent to learn to play an instrument , i will prob see a post that says "well wyclef plays guitar" , news flash, he sux at it. thats my 2 cents , rap sux , wake up and realize it.

DJ ROACH
5th December 2001, 21:25
Rap may sux to some, rock may suck to some, and I wont be the one to say rap sux or rock sux, or any type of music for that matter. I like all music, being close-minded because of an experience with a few different groups of one gender of music, is like saying that all cars suck because you’ve only seen yugos and pintos, when you’ve never seen Ferrari or porches. You’ll find the more eclectic your taste in music the more you find types of music that you like, a type of music you wouldn’t normally like. The more your willing to listen the more your able to find music you’ll like, i have a felling a lot of people who say oh i hate that group or this group have probaly only heard one or two songs from that group. So opinions are fine there just like assholes, everyone has one. I won’t shoot down any ones opinion on music, but i wont participate in the bashing of a whole gender of music for the sheer stubborn will of some judgmental people who’ve only listen to a few types of rap or few groups or who have had the idea of rap warped by some society standard of what rap is about.
Now if it was rap groups you were talking about in this thread it may sound a little more thought out, but just hating a whole entire gender is almost bigoted. and thats my asshole.

missyob
5th December 2001, 23:29
Ok, I found it. It took me a while. I could not find it on the internet anymore, but had the song on a disk. I zipped it to make it a faster download. (I am pretty excited, this is the first time I ever zipped a file!).

This is a parody on Eminems The real slim shady.

Kermit the frog is singing:

Called The real slim kermie:

NOTE: THERE ARE NO VIRUSES OR WORMS IN THIS ZIP FILE. I did it myself.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/missy/slimkermie.zip

Enjoy!

~ Missy

7icha7d
6th December 2001, 15:52
DJ Roach, I disagree... to some extent. It is true that while I would say I hate rap as a whole, but I do like some rap songs. I think it's fine to say you don't like a genre of music, as long as this doesn't close your mind to hearing songs from it with an open mind. I don't like most rap, but there are songs I like; I don't like country but Counting Crows, one of my favourite bands, sometimes contains country influences; I don't like dance but there are some dance tunes (Darude - Sandstorm) that I like. And so on - I don't like the genre as a whole, but I like some individual songs.

DJ ROACH
6th December 2001, 16:28
then in my eyes you dont hate rap, you hate certain rap artist and their styles. if you say i hate rap, then i catch you listening to my rap station i would call you a hypocarte, but thats not the case. i think most people who have posted on this thread feel the same way you do. wich i think is fine, but the way its written its left open for some of those close minded bigoted people to make unruley judgmental stupid ass un thought out ignorant comments :D so i agree with you i could say the same thing about alot of groups, i was just making a point that its not the genre of music you hate its the artist, you could hate 99.9% of what ever genre, but you would still like rap if you like a few songs. just most of the rap artist youve heard you wouldnt like.

the last few days i decided to start a rap radio station, to see how my taste in rap was with the public at large as of right now 9:38am on this thrusday ive had 1542 listners in the last 9:25.38sec's :)

stttafffy
16th December 2001, 20:37
i agree with most of the stuff that everyone has said, and i agree with everything missy has said. this thread is a little too generalized, and rap can be very good music. i consider the beastie boys rap, and they are awesome. and theyre white, too. i also see that most rappers are black, but as was said before slave songs -> jazz -> rap ( that is even too general) but in the most part it is true. holy shit- my pc is going grape-nuts, will continue later--- inc

stttafffy
16th December 2001, 20:58
but pop-rap is total garbage. ja rule is bad, nelly is bad p diddy is bad. i kinda like a little notorious b.i.g., outkast, and a couple more, but only some songs. i cant stand most rap today, rap can be pure awesomeness. one of the best songs from a couple years ago was gangstas paradise by coolio, and that was gangsta rap. i heard of this guy the other day, and dl'd some of his stuff, and it was soooo good. it flowed so smoothly. the dudes name is saul williams. try out twice the first time, and ohm. also sha clack clack. great music.it was 90 percent poetry and 10 percent rap this guy is the best rap artist (oxymoron, but not in his case) i have ever heard. its called rap, but it makes everything else called rap unworthy. well, try it out. and slick rick, try out childrens story. or song for shelter by roland clark. ton loc - wild thing is a classic. no one should generalize anything in that way unless it is true, like what phisherman said bout trl. that is pure garbage. i dont listen to the radio, mtv, anything. i only listen to songs off of te internet now, and mostly obscure stuff, too. but i listen to everything. sorry to say it, but country is mostly bad. it hurts my ears and brain to listen to it. it sounds bad, TO ME. anyway, i like classic rock, electronic, house, rock, rap, lotsa stuff. my favorite artists are the chemical brothers, fatboy slim, red hot chili peppers (AWESOME) <- they even have a few hip hop borderline rap songs. the fugees are great. i have to say that r kelly's canibus and wyclef jeans remake of wyclef's gone till november is such a fantastic track. im gonna take a chunk of the songs on my playlist right now and post em, im very eclectic :) --------------- smashing pumpkins - zero, the who - teenage wasteland, loop da loop - hazel, the dust brothers - medula oblongata, the commodores - brick house, chemical brothers my elastic eye. ------- i love most types of music. ice-t is good rap, too! anyway, too much time on my hands. gonna go dl the stuff you guys posted, ill get back to you on that stuff. also, if anyone likes saul williams post up!

yagerb
16th December 2001, 21:45
I am an no way a fan of main stream music. I say Radio and MTV should all go out of business for good. But I do like some rap. I take offense to some of the shit you say. so I will voice my opinion. I hate "Save the Earth" "Hug a Tree" "lets not take a bath" PHISH!!!!! I am tired that crap being shoved in my face and that goes for the Beatles too. I just wanted to give my two cents.

deathazre
17th December 2001, 01:26
2 greatest oxymorons in the world:
rap music
microsoft works

RAP: Retards Attempting Poetry

tree hugger = dendrophiliac

yagerb
17th December 2001, 01:46
How do you hide $ from a hippy???????

HIDE IT UNDER THE SOAP!!!!!

gremmlin
17th December 2001, 22:33
Let's form opinions based on false generalizations and voice them adamantly. Blah blah blah... worst thread ever.

fish
17th December 2001, 22:43
At least it's more than can be said for the word association thread :rolleyes:

Last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion...

but so do you. Say what you want, but I'm standing still.

Xerxes
18th December 2001, 06:05
You know, some would say in that previous joke, "Hippy" could be replaced with "Phish Fan"

... or would that be generalizing? ;)

missyob
18th December 2001, 16:40
Originally posted by phisherman
Last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion...
but so do you. Say what you want, but I'm standing still.

You are allowed your opinion hon. We still luv you much, it is just I personally dont agree with what you said.

Big Hugs,

~ Missy

DJ ROACH
18th December 2001, 19:54
i ve tried typing something 3 times now and i cant type it correctly.
so all ill say is,.......................................... :eek:

Digipak
18th December 2001, 20:25
sorry people, this make not make any sense, but i can't seem to refrain from saying it:

water sucks. gatorade is better.

getting back to the actual topic, i cannot stand MOST rap, but there are a few songs i like. for instance, i have found that nearly all of nellys songs sound the same, and i cant stand any of them. but some songs, particularly more uptempo ones (i.e. Outkast - BoB and Mystikal - Ready to Rumble) i can stand. But while i like Ready to Rumble by Mystikal, i HATED that 'Danger' song...im openminded. if its good, ill listen to it, if not, trash it :D

DJ SPINNA
19th December 2001, 13:49
look... i guess you have some valid points but i do not see why you are moaning. Record companies obviously saw the potential there to expoit the rap/hip hop image and took advantage of it. Turning rap into 'Pop' was going to happen just like it has done in other genres of music.
But how can you say you hate rap music? i do not understand your arguement there. do you just hate the mainstream because you see rap becoming 'fashionable' and 'pop' with what you call 'whores' everywhere? well if you do know anything about rap culture the ideas behing 'whores' and (unfortunately) misoginism has been around since the days of 2live crew and N.W.A. so it isn't a recent thing.
i'm not judging you on the type of music you listen to and you shouldn't really be judging other people on their tastes.
one should appreciate really all forms of music even if there is a dislike of it because there are things to be learned and experienced from all the Genres.
lets just ditch the moaning, skin up, drink and enjoy the music

klatok
2nd January 2002, 14:38
music is music
whether the performer is black, white, indian chinese red yellow blue or alien, it's still music.
whether it's pop or classical or dancehall or r&B or reggae or rap. it's still music.
whether you appreciate it or not, it's still music.
whether it's on mtv, vh1, bet or not, it's still music.
it's not the race, it's not whether it's popular. it's not the genre. it's not even the person. it's all about
the vibes.
and as for uniqueness? all music is unique, because it comes from the heart. even if it's a corny *cough*
'n sync *ahem* song, or it's a ditty with no particular meaning (case in point "i'm blue lah bah dee dah
bah die").
as for peer pressure in music, i listen to rock and alternative (creed, linkin park, u2 - yeh they're
popular mtv people but say what? i listen to orange sky too, i betcha you don't know who that is), reggae (beres hammond, glen washington), calypso (machel mantano, rupee), pop (christina aguilera, mariah carey before the breakdown), r&b (brian mcknight), in fact on any given day i could be listening to outfield or toto or peter gabriel or an song in hindi from Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. recently i even started listening to yannick (african fella) and alsou (a russian gal).
i know lots of people who don't know who creed is or have never heard of REM.
i have friends who don't listen to rock or alternative, but only rap and dancehall.
i have friends who mainly listen to music from the sixties, seventies and eighties.
i have my own mind and they have theirs. our choice in music doesn't affect our friendship. and i think it's very immature of anyone to rate their choices on what his/her friends think. they can't live your life for you and it's you who has to live with those decisions.
AND i also listen to some radio verion rap but i can't handle all the cursing and swearing and ho's and bitches and yo mama and "whities gotta die" and call my mother "queen" and half naked women and stuff anybody in the car trunk (no matter how annoying they are!), and smoke weed and all that crap on the original versions. and as for all rap making no sense? just listen to crossroads by bone thugs 'n harmony. and the fugees were a pretty cool group. i miss the music they made together.
i must admit i do not like the way the artform (and it is an artform, whether you like it or not) is progressing but life is like that. you can't have everything the way you want it.
and will smith is cool...but he's more hip hop anyways.....i would buy his cds.
anyways.....i'm starting to ramble.....:igor: :igor: :igor:
signing off.

Xerxes
2nd January 2002, 22:04
Its not all fun and games- you cannot just nonchalantly "drink up and enjoy the music" - when there is an explicit political agenda or values system that is trying to be impressed onto the listeners. If you don't recognize that, then you don't recognize that what you listen to is a statement about who you are- just like the clothes you wear and the way you decorate your house.

DJ ROACH
3rd January 2002, 04:11
:confused: bullshit!! Xerxes thats crap, you mean to tell me you stand up at a party and tell someone to turn off music you dont like because it does not agree with the statment your trying to make? thats crap realy it is and you know it. if i go to a party and i hear some music i dont like i dont listen (like your on the dance floor anyway :D ) i realy think that was a stupid thing to say, realy like you tell someone im not trying to make a statment with these cloths i just didnt have anything to wear, my clothes were dirty.
yeah right you know you wouldnt care. let alone were clothes for a statment, unless they say winamp! :D

Xerxes
3rd January 2002, 04:58
That party situation is irrelevant- that involves decency and politeness. You cannot snub 100 party goers because you don't like it-you are forced to get out of the room. But you would have never entered a proverbial party unless you thought the musical genre being played was to your liking in the first place.

I do not refer to individual instances and situations. By listening to a band or genre, I refer to liking the band or genre- owning their CD's, going to their performances.

My Brother enjoys System of a Down and owns their CD- System of a Down adovocates anarchy and anti-globilization in their music and press releases. My brother is of the "fuck-authority" mind set, and enjoys their message. The music is a correct statement of the type of person he is. A logical person who does not know my brother can walk into his room while he blasts it and logically infer many things about his values.

Whether you like it or not, music is a statement about the listener- because the listener chooses the music. If we were all forced to listen to the same CD by the govt, only then would it not be a statement since choice is not involved.

DJ ROACH
3rd January 2002, 05:19
that is way to much tinking into what you listen to, i feel sorry for you if you listen to music for something other then enjoyment, real i like "pitbull day care" its got a star on the cover and im sure the guy loves the devil, i give to fucks and a shit. i dont care what statment hes making or what he likes, all i know is i like his music (some and in small amounts) it doesnt mean i like the devil or even give a shit about his statment i just like the music.
i see what your saying but its just to much to say that you have to look for something in the music when you listen, the only thing i think about music is you should listen and hear it for just being music not make some point out of it. (thats beside this thread :D)
no hard feelings X i dont mean them.

bloozbone
3rd January 2002, 06:17
[The quest of each generation is to separate itself from the previous generation. This is necessary for societal advancement. The generation must define itself by alienating the previous one in order to gain a specific identity.

for our parents, it was rock, for us, its rap.] --- John M

Wow. I missed a lot by logging off for an hour. I just finished reading this whole thread, and for the most part, I have to agree with John M. What's interesting though is that he says, "For our parents, it was rock....". Rock never left. It's been here since 1950 (remember a guy named Elvis?), and the Rolling Stones (bless there hearts) are STILL cranking it out (it's all semantics anyway...I think just about 75% of the stuff out there these days is still rock, even most of the country tunes --- look at the root chords and you'll see what I mean).

The important thing to remember here is that "music", for generations upon end, has continually been used as a barometer to measure the social identity of each of those generations. In the 1920's, parents were "shocked" to see their kids dancing the jitterbug (remember the "flappers"). In the 1930's and 1940's big bands were the heyday, and a little thing called "marijuana" came on the scene.

There are two huge differences between the four decades between 1920-1950 and those subsequent to them: 1) the tremendous rise of street drugs, and 2) the incredibly obscene marketing techniques of television. Both of those influences drastically changed the face of music forever.

In the sixties, the drug culture took off with "free love", but a lot of that was fueled by pot and psychedelics. Then the seventies saw the addition of cocaine, and the first music videos on MTV. Since then, how many countless video screening clones have we seen pop up? VH-1, BET, on and on....and each of them has become more aggressive in their marketing year after year, trying to capture the viewing audience.

How do you DO THAT?? Easy: air more controversial videos than your adversary. And what constitutes "controversial"? Exactly those things that you've brought up in this discussion of rap: negative portrayals of women, money, and disdain for any kind of authority. We all know that even the Internet has assisted in the now rampant blanket-condoning of "mature" subjectmatter. It's no wonder now that each new generation seemingly becomes more aloof in their views. Take a look at what six year olds are watching on TV these days......and the more acceptance gained (proved by commercial sponsers), the more it's aired, and so on, and so on.

I believe in the constitution of the United States, and within that legislation is a little thing called the First Amendment, which provides for freedom of speech. That means "Cop Killer" can be aired. I don't agree with its lyrics, but I'll defend the right to air it.

Bottom line people, if you don't like what's happening on the airwaves, then start at home: teach your children to love one another, and spend TIME with them every day. You have no idea how many kids turn the TV on because their parents don't care enough to give them a simple hug once in a while. THAT'S why inferior music is surviving. It's the kids' "pacifier" of the new age.

OK....there's my rant. Where's that flame-retardant, suit, Xerxes? ;)

DJ ROACH
3rd January 2002, 07:21
i only wish i had the skill to word it the way some of you do, if i had to say it out loud id be all over it, however typing is not my strong suit. what you just said was a perfect side shoot of how it is, what it meant i think is a little of subject only in the explanations of it, but i do agree with it. dont know where this thread is actually going now, i do know that allot of people cant just listen to music it has to do some extra thing for them its gotta make you feel excepted, liked, loved, hated, sexy, stupid, smart, ugly, cute, funny ETC. and for that reason people seem to be a little superficial about music, what i listed is the reason you should listen to music and also the exact reason you shouldnt.
if it makes you feel happy listen, if you listen to make others feel happy dont, if you listen because it makes you feel smart, listen.
if you listen because you think others will think your smart dont.
see im really not sure where this thread is going, but i do know music is one of the ugliest most bountiful loudly phrased under toned bigoted nonjudgmental peace of garbage sweet smelling puke that there ever was.

John M
3rd January 2002, 10:27
Originally posted by bloozbone

Wow. I missed a lot by logging off for an hour. I just finished reading this whole thread, and for the most part, I have to agree with John M. What's interesting though is that he says, "For our parents, it was rock....". Rock never left. It's been here since 1950 (remember a guy named Elvis?), and the Rolling Stones (bless there hearts) are STILL cranking it out (it's all semantics anyway...I think just about 75% of the stuff out there these days is still rock, even most of the country tunes --- look at the root chords and you'll see what I mean). i never said rock left. i just said that rap pisses off a LOT of adults :)

=Silmarillion=
3rd January 2002, 17:29
:mad:

Rap "music". Well i guess it carry basic qualities of music like a beat. But it ends there. Go find a rhyming dictionary, buy a microphone, and a recording device, put in some cop killin drug abusin, ho pimpin material and you're a millionare! Now you'll tell me that it's music. Music, up until rap was actually sensible, symbols of how intelligent we are as humans. Look at the genius that is in Mozart, Bach, and many other musicians of the past. But tell me how has rap EVER helped us? How has it affected us? i'll tell you how it affects us. it turns us into desensitized, degenerate, low life scum. What's there to gain by listening to other people's ghetto lifestyle and problems? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Really just a waste of human flesh and resources... And amen to the criticizing of TRL. TRL is little more that propoganda straight from the record companies' hearts. Why dont kids go out and find their own music instead of staring at a television screen waiting to be told what's cool. Anyways back to the rap. The whole ghetto attitude is simply disgusting. Don't people want to strive to be something more than they are at any given time? Well obviously not with rap. Are they just content with being the scum of the nation? I Guess So. As for now i'm fed up with it. Dragging the youth of this nation into an ever deeper hole of sex, drugs, violence, and swearing. This nation needs to straighten the youth out or we can expect to fall behind other countries who desire to take the lead in the superpower race.
Rap only hinders our efforts to stay ahead of everybody else.

:cool: And dont give me any of this shit about being a narrow minded
old bag who's afraid of change. I'm 16 and i listen to almost every kind of music EXCEPT rap. :cool:

DJ ROACH
3rd January 2002, 18:26
Originally posted by =Silmarillion=
: This nation needs to straighten the youth out or we can expect to fall behind other countries who desire to take the lead in the superpower race.
Rap only hinders our efforts to stay ahead of everybody else.

that sounds like some racist shit and im not cursing because rap made me do it, you did :D
that superpower race sounds bad, hmmmm.....

Bilbo Baggins
4th January 2002, 00:06
How on earth does a form of music lead to the loss of superpower status?

Anyway, the USA is not a superpower. They are much much bigger.

Lushefer
4th January 2002, 02:32
:up: :up: just for you phish.....although..a tribe called quest does make an appearance on my cd rack...there are very few rap songa that i actually like ex:songs from Gone in 60 seconds; some ICP; and don't forget Korn. other than that....rap is what we ppl from Ga call nigger music...

~have a nice day all~

papadoc
4th January 2002, 03:28
I'm from Georgia, and I don't call it that.
I may call it garbage, or shite, or allot of other things,
but not that.
btw, that's one good way to get yourself banned
right from the start.
So be careful with the racial expressions,ok?
:(

Lushefer
4th January 2002, 03:35
alright....I'll be nice.....
no racial comments....

Lushefer
4th January 2002, 03:36
where in GA?

Xerxes
4th January 2002, 08:19
that is way to much tinking into what you listen to

I listen to Classical, only classical. Thinking and intellectualizing is part of the enjoyment. I cannot comprehend listening to music without analyzing simultaneously, at least a little bit. Just listening to music is alien thought to me, I cannot comprehend it.

Xerxes
4th January 2002, 08:30

The important thing to remember here is that "music", for generations upon end, has continually been used as a barometer to measure the social identity of each of those generations.

Believe me I am very aware of each generation revolting against the previous. This has occurred for longer than the 20th century- Romantic Classical music was a revolt against Baroque order and structure, for example.

Some people call this effect in flowery language "mankind continuing to explore the unknown reaches of artistic expression" and I call it the continual slow degeneration of music hand in hand with the continual degeneration of morals and value systems.

Music, any like other art, is a reflection of a cultures desires wants and values at any given time. Thus it can be inferred from present popular music that we as a culture, or at least the youth culture in a macro sense, value anti-globalization efforts, anarchy, bling bling, the ghetto hard knock Lifestyle, and bootie. Shouldn't society aspire for more than that? :mad:

Xerxes
4th January 2002, 08:34
How on earth does a form of music lead to the loss of superpower status?

Wrong logic- the form of music does not cause loss of superpower status- the form of music is a symptom or sign of a much greater problem in the culture that creates it.- the breakdown of values and culture can and has brought down mighty empires, i.e. Rome.

DJ ROACH
4th January 2002, 15:53
just for you xeres, a remix of furelise
beethoven (http://home1.gte.net/res0ia5q/beethoven.mp3)
im not sur i wrote it right to stream, hmmm first time if its wrong tell me and ill try to fix it, it should stil d/l toy our temp though.
X you should enjoy this (i think)

edit/ ok, im not that good, i changed the file to .m3u uploaded it to my server, now what it doesnt stream? im trying not to get of subject if some one could tell me th right way to write it ill edit this post, thanx

edit, edit: ok i just changed the ext back to .mp3 so youll just have to d/l it and listen, untill i can figure out how to do it sorry.

Digipak
4th January 2002, 16:14
Didn't work Roach.

Hmm, I'm not really sure how to word this correctly. Bloozbone would probably be able to do it superiorly to my feeble efforts, but I'll go ahead and try.

Youth today are still fully capable of forming their own opinions. I have plenty of friends who listen to rap and hard rock (i.e. Slipknot, Mudvayne, Static-X, etc.) and I have totally different views on music than most of them. While they like more new music, I have found 80's music to be much better than that of the 90's. Mainly in the point of rock, with bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, and others, most of the music from that era is superior (IMHO) than what we hear today. I still listen to hard rock today, and have CDs by Static-X, Powerman 5000, and Rob Zombie, but I listen more to soft(er) rock. Not soft rock as in Enya, but as in Cake, Incubus, and Sevendust (some songs). I find them more musical and pleasing to the ears than to hear people screaming (like Slipknot). So I guess basically what I'm trying to say is that too many people listen to music for others, and not for themselves. If you want to make a difference in 'the music world', encourage people to listen to more genres of music, and not limit themselves, and maybe learn more about music.

Wow, that sounded better than I thought. :igor: I still love that smiley.

Just wanted to add, I am actually VERY glad that Short Skirt/Long Jacket was played on MTV2 occasionally, because if they weren't, I probably would never have heard of them. (Yes, I watch MTV2, namely Rock, since they play Incubus and a few others that I like. If they get to a song I don't, I just change the channel :p). Another point I want to make: since I don't listen to Shoutcast or any other internet streaming radio, I don't have many ways to hear about bands that aren't played on normal radio or music stations, since my friends don't listen to it.

Xerxes
4th January 2002, 17:31
just for you xeres, a remix of furelise

I d/l'ed it.

A dissonant version of Fur-elise that lasts for nearly a minute and a half, before it is hijacked by an oppressive bassline that becomes the purpose of the song as it dominates the melody. Then the melody ends and the song does its own thing, completely unrelated to Fur-elise- a minute long techno "empty space" with no variation, then a variation on that theme, then a reprisal of the original Fur elise theme that is the same as the introduction.

The song is at its best in the first thirty seconds, where it is content with exploring the original theme with an atonal echo overlayed onto it. Afterward the artist concentrates on the harsh bassline, like the majority of techno/dance/pop.

bloozbone
4th January 2002, 17:32
Originally posted by Digipak
So I guess basically what I'm trying to say is that too many people listen to music for others, and not for themselves. If you want to make a difference in 'the music world', encourage people to listen to more genres of music, and not limit themselves, and maybe learn more about music.

That's my point exactly. And it starts out when you're VERY young...say 5-7 years old. Especially if you have older brothers or sisters in your family. If you're a 6-year old kid and your older brother listens to Vanilla Ice, then you think Vanilla Ice is the reigning king. It all starts at home. That's the true beginning of peer pressure. From there the identical scenario pans out in elementary and secondary schools.....you get the picture....

And by the way, if you want to "encourage people to listen to more genres of music", as our good friend Digipak suggests, try listening to some blues music: Robert Johnson on slide guitar, the powerful vocals of Muddy Waters (aka McKinley Morganfield), or even the classic folk songwriting styles of Woody Guthrie, whom Bob Dylan copied.

You can find MP3's of all this stuff on WinMX (http://www.winmx.com). And if you're not familiar with blues music at all and want learn something interesting, check out this site: http://www.blueflamecafe.com/. You'll find links to Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and numerous other blues greats there.

Roots.....it's all about roots. ;) :D

Xerxes
4th January 2002, 17:58
Bloozbone, it might interest you to know that Ocasionally I play simple trombone basslines for my Uncle's Zydeco Band :)

... But usually I just play the instrument more suited to my skills - the laundry dryer grate scratcher thing ;)

bloozbone
4th January 2002, 18:54
Xerxes --- you got me laughing out loud (still am as I type this :blah: ).

Zydeco, eh? You might find this interesting. I play with a number of "entities" (shall we say), one of which is a two-piece horn section that I originated called THE SANTA CRUZ HORNS, which is comprised of me on slide trombone, and a great tenor sax player. The two of us performed with New Orleans Cajun recording star Jo-EL SONNIER on Saturday, December 1st at The Catalyst nightclub in downtown Santa Cruz, opening for Texas country/rock legend ROBERT EARL KEEN .

There were probably 1200 people there, and the show was broadcast "live" on radio station K-PIG (FM 107.5 in this area). Don't laugh at the call letters --- they're a well respected station with a huge listening audience. There's actually a web site http://www.kpig.com that has a streaming audio link so that you can listen to their "live" broadcast (they were one of the first nationwide to provide this type of service). Lots of blues, folk, rock --- stuff from 10-20 years ago (for instance, yesterday they played some old Dave Mason followed by 80's Led Zeppelin).

What make and model of trombone to you play with your uncle's band? I really DIG zydeco music (I have Buckwheat Zydeco MP3s on my HD :D ).

DJ ROACH
4th January 2002, 21:51
first ill start by quoting myself, as i said it should be for you not for others, its been said in other forms by many.

what i listed is the reason you should listen to music and also the exact reason you shouldnt.
if it makes you feel happy listen, if you listen to make others feel happy dont, if you listen because it makes you feel smart, listen.
if you listen because you think others will think your smart dont.
see im really not sure where this thread is going, but i do know music is one of the ugliest most bountiful loudly phrased under toned bigoted nonjudgmental peace of garbage sweet smelling puke that there ever was.

i listen to everything and enjoy it all, bloozebone, i know some about robert jhonson, hes one of the pioneers of blues music stating he sold his sole to the devil to be the best blues artist ever, hence the reason for some of his songs hound dog on my trail, cross road blues, ect.
he also was a woman beater, alcholic & herion addict. he would get so high his wife would have to wisper his lines in his ear.
i have some great live samples of muddy waters with howling wolf, who in my opinion was one of the best. it might intrest you to know i have some live recordings with robert jhonson as hes being interviewed, very cool stuff.
im sure by reading my posts you would think i have nothing to do with such music, heres a list of some of the blues i listen to
buddy guy, junior wells, b.b. king, joe cocker, bo diddley, muddy waters, howlin wolf, robert jhonson, king curtis (ive got a version of him doing whole lotta lovin, live), carey bell, gary moore (kinda blues), jimmy reed, lightnin hopkins, otis rush, robert cray and many others im forgetting
edit i have to ad a few more because they just came on after i posted this, james cotton, paul butterfield, elvin bishop....yeah ive been digin my potatoes with trampin on my mine.....and i got a special plan resting on my mind....

bloozbone
4th January 2002, 22:24
i listen to everything and enjoy it all, bloozebone, .... king curtis (ive got a version of him doing whole lotta lovin, live)

Very cool, DJ. I was aware that Robert Johnson was an idiot in his private life; but I try to ignore that stuff. I like the way Frank Sinatra sang (in his younger days), but I don't hold the fact that he was affiated with the "mob" against him when I listen to his music.

Here's something about King Curtis you might not have known: Curtis' band was the first "true" band that Jimi Hendrix ever played with. ;)

I dig Carey Bell too. Great harp player. Check out Mark Ford, Robben Ford's younger brother. Mark has played harp on some of Robben's earlier CD's (before the "Blue Line" band) and you can check him out further here: San Francisco Blues Festival 2001 - Mark Ford (http://www.sfblues.com/portfolio/artist/downtown.shtml). Blues...it's all about roots. :D

DJ ROACH
4th January 2002, 22:38
i think i may have heard that before (about hendrix and curtis) i cant rember how when or what and if it were a question id get it wrong, hmm thats very cool i went to that link and found a pic, is there anything i can hear?
btw, i love sinatra, ive got som much rat pack stuff its bizare for even me, keely smith, sammy, the duke, judy garland, I LOVE LOUIS ARMSTRONG!!! louis armstrong and duke ellington doing it dont mean a thing has to be on the top list of my favs!...what good is melody, what good is music if it aint posesing something sweet, now it aint the melody and it aint the music that makes this tune complet...

thanx blooze cool bits of info

bloozbone
4th January 2002, 23:23
....I LOVE LOUIS ARMSTRONG!!! louis armstrong and duke ellington doing it dont mean a thing has to be on the top list of my favs!

There's a great CD out which I have called Ella and Louis. The personnel on that recording is incredible: Oscar Peterson - piano, Herb Ellis - guitar, Ray Brown - bass, and Louis Bellson - drums (Bellson was the drummer on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show" for many years). You can listen to the CD here: Ella and Louis @ Barnes & Noble.com (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=731454330428). Go to this page and scroll down to the blue speaker icons. Enjoy. :D

BTW: Ella Fitzgerald - vocals, Louis Armstrong - vocals & trumpet

DJ ROACH
4th January 2002, 23:51
i havent installed realplayer back on my comp yet, i havent realy had a need. ive got all the serials and stuff and i just dont even take the time to d/l it. blah, anyways ive heard a few songs (even have some) from that cd. GOOD STUFF

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 00:17
Xerxes --- you got me laughing out loud (still am as I type this :blah: ).

What make and model of trombone to you play with your uncle's band? I really DIG zydeco music

I should say its not a formal "band"- it doesn't even really have a bandname so I guess its in musical parlance what you call an "occasional ensemble"

I am not a trombone "player" by any means, I took 2 years of it in Middle School so I am accomplished enough to play simple basslines - and in Zydeco the simplest of basslines can be a very... exausting... so many slurs! ;)

I dont even own the instrument- they do. I just own my own mouthpiece. (I'm very Howard Hughes-ish when it comes to blowing on things) I dont know the make and model; i'm not too knowledgable about instrument manufacturers i'm afraid... esp. winds. :( I'll look next time. I think they bought it for cheap on E-bay as I recall.

Again though, I am truly a "laundry dryer grate scratcher thing virtuoso" ;)

My uncle has been thinking for a time about starting a Zydeco Music webpage with constantly updated listings for Zydeco Performances and events in Southern California - i'll keep you updated since you seem to enjoy it:) - myself, its not my favorite, (Again i'm a classical devotee) but sitting with the band tooting your horn next to the accordion player, trumpeter, and drummer ... well its fun in a strange way :p

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 00:27
..... but sitting with the band tooting your horn next to the accordion player, trumpeter, and drummer ... well its fun in a strange way :p

I do that all the time... :D

I too enjoy classical music. Vivaldi's Four Seasons is one of my favorites (it's trite, but wonderful on a Sunday morning). I also enjoy Handel. I played his "Water Music" compositions in high school, about #*%@ years ago....;)

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 00:51
Very good! Handel, Schubert, Vivaldi, and Bach are my favorites! (and in that order, to) I listen to the four seasons all the time- it's not trite, its popular because it deserves to be. Its a masterpiece of emotion and possibly the best violin virtuoso piece ever written.

And i'm going to see the Pacific Symphony Orcestra play Water Music in april... I can't wait :)

DJ ROACH
5th January 2002, 01:00
Karl Friedrich Abel, its not violin, but its good string music.
six symphonies (i think) i love classical, i dont know to much about it though, it pisses me of that i dont. id like to learn more, direct me to some good reading that will cover a broad band of music more then one person (classical of course) im going to the mall in a hour, and i have a 4 hour drive in the morning so ill have plenty of time to read.
thanx

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 01:08
Xerxes: have you ever heard anything from this composer?
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/adventures/images/stockhausen.jpg
Karlheinz Stockhausen has got to be one of the more "bizzare" comtemporary composers. This piece is scored for a string quartet, 4 helicopters with pilots and 4 sound technicians, 4 television transmitters, 4x3 sound transmitters and a platoon of technicians. You can actually hear the helicopters in the recording... :igor:

Digipak
5th January 2002, 02:21
You can actually hear the helicopters in the recording... :igor:

Quite interesting. I might check him out.

/me goes to download some jazz and classical music :)

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 05:37
id like to learn more, direct me to some good reading that will cover a broad band of music more then one person
thanx

Um... Well, there's a lot to read. I don't know about books that cover the spectrum of artists- i'm sure you could find a general history of classical music from baroque to modern... I don't know of one in particular.

The best books ARE dedicated to one artist. The reason they are the ebst is because they travel with the composer as they visit different areas, write different songs, and write correspondance to their friends and family. Franz Schubert is a fascinating man to read about ... try reading my current music essay on my "classical MP3 of the week" sig for a taste of his tragic life.

BTW i WILL update the MP3, i know its past the 29th... im sorry; writing essays and ripping music takes time...

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 05:44
Xerxes: have you ever heard anything from this composer?
...Karlheinz Stockhausen

Yes. He is a leading contemporary artist. He was also involved in a bit of a sept 11th scandal- he was actually going to perform at the South Coast performing arts center (just a couple blocks away from where I live) with the previously mentioned Pacific Coast orchestra. He released some type of remark saying the attacks were the "Greatest work of art ever" and they cancelled him. But now its said the quote was "The greatest work of art by Lucifer" ... who's to know what transpired.

BTW here's an mp3 of the helicopter music :) ... I should pick the CD up... I had heard of it before.

http://www.stockhausen.org/heli_mp3.html

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 06:11
.....the South Coast performing arts center (just a couple blocks away from where I live).....

You're going to trip on this: I moved to Santa Cruz back in May. The place I moved from was at MacArthur & San Joaquin Hills adjacent to Fashion Island. :p

Thanks for the link, but Netscape told me I needed a plug-in, and when I clicked on their link to obtain it, was told that think plug-in could not be found. :( Let me try it through I.E. .......hold on....

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 06:18
Wow very close! I live right on South Coast Drive.

Hmmm... Fashion Island... That's where I have to go to get parts for my Mercedes :) Otherwise its a pretentious hellhole I avoid at all costs - when I drive my 1989 190E into their lot all the people smartly dressed in black with perfect spiked hair and black wire rimmed glasses all give me this incredibly cold "like who let this horrid street urchin into our fine German auto-mobile store" :o

I'm not calling YOU pretentious by any means, I just mentally associate it with very well dressed people staring at me ;)

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 06:19
The link works in I.E. (damn MediaPlayer v7.01 won't work with Netscape....duh).

This music is a TRIP. Sinister. What the heck does this guy eat for breakfast, rocks? ..........nope, changed my mind.....I think he's on mushrooms.....

Thanks again. I hadn't heard this piece. Only works that he had composed perhaps twenty years ago (which are pretty bizarre themselves). :igor:

MAN this stuff is weird... (still listening to it).

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 06:22
OK The impression I get is that each string piece is imitating the rotors or the engines. They are also somewhat trying to suggest the varying sounds created by the doppler effect as the Helicoptors ascend into the air. At the end, notice it turns more into normal "music" which suggests to me that this is just the introduction- the "take off" i guess. I'd like to hear more of it.

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 06:26
.....all the people smartly dressed in black with perfect spiked hair and black wire rimmed glasses all give me this incredibly cold "like who let this horrid street urchin into our fine German auto-mobile store"

:blah: I agree. That's one of the reasons I got out of there (that, and a little thing called "divorce" --- long story, but my decision :D ). I had a great time on Balboa during the summer, but people there are so FULL of themselves. The thing I miss the most is playing at the Studio Cafe on the peninsula. Watching the girls go by on the boardwalk on their rollerblades. :p

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 06:36
OK you're with me- I was unsure if you would have found it insulting or not ;)

I think Fashion Island is like the sun, and all the snobs in Southern California revolve around it :p SO much rich smug bastards here... were overflowing with them.

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 06:52
It takes a lot to insult me. Most everything just rolls off my back. Must be because I'm part mallard...;)

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 07:21
You're not Howard the Duck are you? :blah:

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 07:31
:blah:=:up: What a TERRIBLE movie that was. If not for the alien sequence at the end, I would have demanded a refund from the video rental store (gosh...did I just admit that I actually PAID to see that?).

How does some oyster nachos and an ice-cold Carta Blanca at Margaritaville on PCH sound right about now? :D

DJ ROACH
5th January 2002, 15:59
ok xeres ill give it one more try :D j/k check out this remix of Bach, you may enjoy this one (yeah sure) it gets a bass line not as heavy as fur elise, and it keeps the "theme" in its entire (well for being a remix) anyway check it out and let me know what you think.

remix of Bach Invention (http://home1.gte.net/res0ia5q/bach-invention13.mp3)

blooze how do you like santa cruz? ive got a few friends living there and in san jose, i live out side of L.A. in palm springs.
though id rather live a little more north....say santa barbara (?)
i feel as though im interrupting so...

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 18:32
blooze how do you like santa cruz?

Santa Cruz, like my avatar location quote says, is "Paradise". Where else (except perhaps Oregon) can you find redwood trees that grow all the way down to the beach?

After MANY years in Southern California, I decided it was time to leave the rat race (and BTW, I'm familiar with Palm Springs --- I used to live in the San Bernardino Mountains in Lake Arrowhead for a few years, and I'd go down to PS to party ;) ).

Most recently though I moved from Newport Beach in Orange County. From a geographic standpoint it was nice there, but a lot of snobs with way too much money on their hands :down:=:hang:.

There are lots of blues clubs in Santa Cruz too. Matter o' fact, I'm going to see blues guitarist Chris Cain tonight at Moe's Alley with my tenor sax partner. With any luck, we'll be able to sit in with Chris (we're THE SANTA CRUZ HORNS).
Moe's Alley Blues Club - Santa Cruz (http://www.moesalley.com/)

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 22:47
ok xeres ill give it one more try :D j/k check out this remix of Bach, you may enjoy this one (yeah sure)

Still dominated by Bass (like all dance), although at least there is a melody of sythesized pizzicato/harpsichord sound that runs through its entire duration. It is a thirty second piece of melody repeating over and over again for the most part. The complex under bassline seems to be shoved under the carpet in favor of the "thump thump" dance music, but I guess you can't blame a dance song for being a dance song.

A quality the two songs have in common is that have chosen late baroque piano pieces that have a "modular" repeatable quality to them, so they suit the repetitiveness that dance music calls for.

Xerxes
5th January 2002, 22:54

Most recently though I moved from Newport Beach in Orange County. From a geographic standpoint it was nice there, but a lot of snobs with way too much money on their hands :down:=:hang:.

Yeah that's definitely Orange County for you. I've lived here in Costa Mesa for most of my life(ever since I moved from Kansas) so i've learned to dogde the ultra snobs and have my own fun. :)

Here's an example of how bad Newport Beach/Fashion Island area is for the uninitiated - I went to see Harry Potter with the children of my family at "Big Newport" which is the largest movie screen around. I sat down while the rest of my group got the drinks, and there were 2 ten year olds in little polo shirts and blond slicked back hair making fun of another kid - they were saying to him "Public Schooler Public Schooler" in a mocking voice.

What vicious horrible people they will grow up to be! :igor: :(

bloozbone
5th January 2002, 23:24
What vicious horrible people they will grow up to be! :igor: :(

"Candice, dahling....could you ask the maid to quit singing to the children and come over here to shine my shoes? We've just simply GOT to be on time for the Harrington's cocktail pahte at 5...".

:eek:

sean2002
6th January 2002, 07:06
rap is a disease. I just said this to start more discussion. the community has become boring lately i think

fish
6th January 2002, 13:19
I'm sitting here while the rest of my family is at church and I have nothing to do soooo:

I went to a party the other night. The usual kind of party with a 3:1 girl:guy ratio. Quite nice, except that all the girls were total corporate slaves.
One of then burned a CD with various stuff that was ovbiously from Morpheus/KaZaA (being the dork I am, I can tell the quality of an mp3 from a burned CD).
So, between Usher's obnoxious moan and the low bass cutoff where anything in the bass range was just making the speaker squeak, the music wasn't great.
Yet, the girls liked it. They danced that crazy boogey thing where they shake their butt and arms at the same time while standing in a circle.
I just tried not to listen to the music and at least that part was good.

What I don't see is how people are basically programmed to like it, in a sense. They only listen to it because they are told to. But they deny it. They say "It's all about the music" and crap, but it's really just them liking what the media tells them.

People actually buy CDs with horny prepubescent boys moaning into microphones.
:igor:
Whatever

Xerxes
6th January 2002, 18:21
Teenage girls are the very affected by peer pressure and the tastes of their friends - in everything they do. They are almost like a collective mind- a hive of bees. (But they defnitely don't share intelligence ;) )

Lushefer
6th January 2002, 18:28
Teenage girls are the very affected by peer pressure and the tastes of their friends - in everything they do. They are almost like a collective mind- a hive of bees. (But they defnitely don't share intelligence ;) )

Obviously you didn't put any thought into this. My friends and I are nothing like that. And I have met other teenage girls that are very intelligent. Maybe where you come from they are mindless little bees, but you can't generalize an intire genre because you think we're all spineless. Think before you speak.

Xerxes
6th January 2002, 20:16
I live in southern california, and it is my observation teenage girls are very superficial in this area.

Barring that, it is normal adolescent psychology for most boys and girls to want to belong to a larger group that is distinctly different from their parents.

Please don't accuse me of putting little thought into my posts, it's rude. Maam.

Lushefer
6th January 2002, 20:54
then call me an outcast then....sir
I'm sorry I come off as rude, but that's just the kind of person I am. If you don't like it then don't reply to anything i have to say. its your choice.

~have a nice day~

CalmLikeABomb
7th January 2002, 00:11
I want to get something out of the way right now: I find people like Lushefer absolutely repugnant. If you’re old enough to participate in a discussion like this, you’re old enough to know that using the word “nigger” the way you did is completely unacceptable.

Now, to the real issue. I can understand some of the negative comments people have made regarding hip-hop music (and yes, it is music), but I wholeheartedly disagree with them. If you form your opinions of rap based on what you see on MTV and what you hear on mainstream radio stations, of course you’ll have a negative opinion of the genre. Just as I would dislike rock if I assumed it all sounded like Blink-182 and Linkin Park. But if you would take the time to look beneath the shiny pop-culture surface, you would learn what hip-hop really is. It’s not all about bitches, cars, gold chains, and blunts.

I'd like to make an assumption that most of the disparaging comments about the “glorified ghetto lifestyle” portrayed in rap come from middle-class white people. People who have no idea what it’s like to grow up in a shitty little public housing project surrounded by violence, crime, and drugs. Many, if not most, of the rappers who discuss this stuff aren’t glorifying it, they’re just talking about what’s happening around them. Often times it seems like a black hole that you just can’t seem to get out of. They only have access to low-quality public education, no money for college, and few local jobs. So they use rapping as a way to pick themselves up and make something of themselves, and I think that’s great.

If anyone here actually has an open mind (that is admittedly a remote possibility, although I've noticed a few), check out Aesop Rock, Deltron 3030, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, or Outkast, among many others. Great lyrics, great beats (the non-vocal part of the song, in hip-hop terms), and deep ideas. That's why I like hip-hop, not because of peer pressure, but because I took the time to explore the genre and found the people who had something to say and an entertaining way to say it.

One final note about the alleged lack of white rappers aside from Eminem, that is entirely untrue: the Beastie Boys, Bubba Sparxxx, Paul Barman, Copywrite, Slug, Aesop Rock, Eyedea, El-P, Mac Lethal, Qwel, Robust, Y@kballz, Sage, Ryu, Benefit, Code Red, Daredevils, Grouch, Eligh, I think I’ll stop there. They're not all good (Bubba Sparxxx), but they are all white. The reason you naysayers may not have heard of these people is that you don’t like rap, remember?

CalmLikeABomb
7th January 2002, 01:19
I wonder why some people seem to make such a big deal about (mainstream) hip-hop being dominated by blacks. The originator of this fine thread went out of his way to point out the "blackness" of rap, and I can't seem to understand why. And then there was the "nigger music" comment, and the remarkably blasé response to it. Race should not be one of the criteria you use to assess music. Some of you seem about one step away from saying, “I don’t listen to rap because it’s black.” And some of you are saying that, and fairly directly, too.

Lushefer
7th January 2002, 01:39
I don't listen to rap b/c i don't like it. I was voicing my opinion and how i feel about rap, if you don't like it get over it. i'm sorry you don't like my opinion, but its not my problem.

DJ ROACH
7th January 2002, 02:34
Originally posted by Lushefer
then call me an outcast then....sir
I'm sorry I come off as rude, but that's just the kind of person I am. If you don't like it then don't reply to anything i have to say. its your choice.

~have a nice day~

lushefer, imo before you start ranting opinions to other people about "Think before you speak"....maybe you should do the same.
you only prove the theory or point he was getting at by sounding mindless and bigoted (im now putting on the flame suit) im not accusing you of being that way, im just saying you sound the part, i say mindless because i think only bigoted people are mindless. you seem to be adding a tinge to this thread smelling of a younger generation that does not think things thru completely, more half calked if you ask my opinion. (not calling the kettle black here, ive done the same)
i also live in so cal, and the majority of teen girls ive seen walk the line xeres was expressing, which isnt a bad thing its just a young thing and people grow out of it. but i would agree 100% with his comment. also the quickness to defend young girls does nothing for you or the girls you represent, i dont know how old you are and you may have had the chance to prove the opposites of xeres comments, instead you openly proved a peace of his point by telling us you are a teenager and then posting something i would assume came from a teenage girl.

Lushefer
7th January 2002, 02:41
*bows* fair enough

John M
7th January 2002, 03:02
Originally posted by phisherman
low bass cutoff where anything in the bass range was just making the speaker squeak, the music wasn't great.
Yet, the girls liked it. not everyone cares about music as much as we do here. some of those people probably built up a tolerance for shitty music, while our ears writhe in agony when we hear Xing enc'ed 96kbps. accurate reproduction was not as much a priority to them as shaking their asses was. maybe you should be a DJ, phish. :D

Lushefer
7th January 2002, 03:08
xerxes..i hate to get off the subject....but saturday was there a bad car accident on the news? a friend of mine lives there and I'm told he died in a car accident saturday morning. would like to know if you've heard about it

DJ ROACH
7th January 2002, 03:12
lushfere im glad to see the opisite of what i thought id see, very good.

ok, xeres third times the charm i think youll like this lite bass, real strings, great sound quite (sorta) and not very dance-ish.
if the link doesnt work leme know, i had to erase most everything on this server because they only give me about 5MB.
individual - maxfomitchev - consequential (http://home1.gte.net/res0ia5q/individual_maxfomitchev-consequential.mp3)
tell me what you think i enjoy your input.
im trying to raise my intrest in clasical ive aquired around 191 mp3s ranging in all sorts of classical music :D its all ill be listening to for the next 4 or 5 days (on my computer) im gonna get a better listen and view on classical music, all keep you all up to date on my tastes, if you care that is J/K :weird:

Lushefer
7th January 2002, 03:19
DJ Roach: everyone's entitled to their opinion and I respect that. had a lot on ma mind w/ friend dyin and all...didn't mean to jump down anyone's throat.

Xerxes
7th January 2002, 05:40
Originally posted by Lushefer
xerxes..i hate to get off the subject....but saturday was there a bad car accident on the news?

Hmm... I wasn't watching the news that day- so i scanned the local TV station websites and found this

http://www.upn13.com/themes/default/news/local/story.asp?content_id=881628

Xerxes
7th January 2002, 08:04
Roach, its excellent to hear you are beginning an extended classical music survey. Make sure in your 190+ MP3 collection you have these bare essentials- I think most clasical listeners will agree that these songs are a good starting point- a foundation for a successful Classical Music collection. Most of them should be familiar to most people, although most people don't know the names of them- rather knowing them as "that song from that one movie/commercial"

I have attempted to reperesent the most artists and musical ideas in a short list- and weighted the artists that I especcially like.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:
* Eine Klien Nachtmusik
* Symphony #40
* Dies Irae from the Requiem Mass
* Turkish March
* Symphony #25

Ludvig von Beethoven:
* Symphony #5
* Fur Elise
* Moonlight Sonata
* Ode to Joy

Giuseppe Verdi:
* Libamo ne'lieti calici from La Traviata

Johann Sebastian Bach:
* Jesu, the Joy of Man's Desiring
* Overture No.3 in D Major: Air (Also known as "Air for Strings")
* Overture No. 2 in B Minor: Menuet and Badinerie
* Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
* Brandenburg Concerto No. 3
* Brandenburg Concerto No. 5
* Invention No. 8

George Frederich Handel:
* Music for the Royal Fireworks
* Arrival of the Queen of Sheba from Solomon
* Overture from The Messiah
* Halleujah Chorus from The Messiah

Edvard Grieg:
* In the Hall of the Mountain King
* Piano Concerto #1

Antonio Vivaldi:
* The Four Seasons (Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn)

Franz Schubert:
* Ave Maria
* Symphony #8 (Unfinished)

Frederic Chopin:
* Minutewaltz

Johannes Brahms
* Hungarian Rhapsody #5

Georges Bizet
* Les Toreadors from the Carmen Suite (also known as the "Finale from the Carmen Suite")

Peter Tchaikovsky
* Overture to Swan Lake
* Waltz of the Flowers

Felix Mendelssohn
* Wedding March from A Midsummer Night's Dream

Johann Pachelbel
* Cannon in D

George Gershwin
* Rhapsody in Blue

Claude Debussy
* Claire de Lune

Jean Mouret
* Fanfare

Gustav Holst
* Mars, the Bringer of War from The Planets

Aram Khachaturian
* Sabre Dance from Gayane

Gioachino Rossini
* Overture to Barber of Seville
* the William Tell Overture

Jacques Offenbach
* Can-Can

Sergei Rachmaninoff
* Flight of the Bumblebee

And then here are some more obscure and intellectual personal favorites
* Mozart - Piano Concerto in A Major (Opus# is K488, you might have trouble finding it)
* Mozart - Cosi Fan Tutte
* Mendelssohn - Scherzo from A Midsummer Night's Dream
* Mendelssohn - War March of the Priests
* Vivaldi - Allegro Assai from the Cologne Concerto
* Schubert - entr'acte No. 1 from Rosamunde
* Beethoven - Chorale Fantasie (Also known as Choral Fantasy)
* Handel - Sarabande
* Handel - Harmonious Blacksmith for Trumpet and Organ
* Handel - Xerxes :)

If you have trouble aquiring any of these tell me and I will rip you a copy and arrange an IRC/ICQ session to transfer it:)

DJ ROACH
7th January 2002, 08:45
:eek: WOW holly shi...very very cool xerxes, thank you so very much!
i have from what i can tell round 30% to 40% of the titles you have listed above, maybe more. i started a note pad on what has intrested me so far and some that stand out from my list already are:

*Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet Suite no.2
*Vivaldi - the four seasons (autum-spring-winter-summer) all four are great!
*Bach - Alirio Diaz - Fuga in A minor
*Bach - Cello Suite No.6 2nd Movment
*Bach - Air on the G string
*Bach - Piano Concerto in A minor
*Bach - Mass in B minor
*Beethoven - Fur Elise
*Beethoven - Symphony No.5 in C minor
*Beethoven - Sonata
*Beethoven - 9th Symphony
*Bizet - L'Alesienne Suite No.2 - Farandole
*Pachebel - Canon in D (piano solo)
*Vladimir Horowitz - Rachmaninov
*Wolfgang - Requiem
*Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture

im so tired :D ill get what i dont have on the list in the morning and keep you up to date with my progress, did you happen to listen to the last link i posted? individual - maxfomitchev - consequential (http://home1.gte.net/res0ia5q/individual_maxfomitchev-consequential.mp3)
i want to try and mix classical, and i need the input from a classical listner with your exp.
Thanx Xerxes

Xerxes
7th January 2002, 09:11
Hey excellent! I forgot about the 1812 Overture- only with Tachikovsky do you get to use Artillery Cannons as part of the song ;)

"Wolfgang-Requiem" I assume is Mozart's Entire Requiem Mass?

about that mp3- when i try playing it in :winamp:, it just stays at zero and doesn't play. Whats wrong? :(

DJ ROACH
7th January 2002, 16:14
ok i think its fixed,Individual maxfomitchev consequential (http://home1.gte.net/res0ia5q/individual_maxfomitchev-consequential.mp3)
that should work.

fish
7th January 2002, 19:47
not everyone cares about music as much as we do here. some of those people probably built up a tolerance for shitty music, while our ears writhe in agony when we hear Xing enc'ed 96kbps. accurate reproduction was not as much a priority to them as shaking their asses was. maybe you should be a DJ, phish. :D

:o I'm such a nerd :D

PhotoFx
8th January 2002, 07:17
i'm sad, xerxes, you went to the trouble to mention Khachaturian, but then forget his fabulous Toccata for piano... i've played it myself (it not being that hard) but it is still one of the coolest pieces i've ever come across. *tsk tsk* take note everyone :p

Also Tchaikovsky's prelude in C# minor (i think, it might be F#) is really cool as well, but you need gigantic hands to play it...

Xerxes
8th January 2002, 08:52
Hey were talkin bare essentials here- believe me I could have flooded each artist with more work- i could have put all of holsts "the planets" and orotorio pieces from Handel's Solomon and more Tchaikovsky ballet suites and so on and so on- the body of work is staggering!

Lushefer
9th January 2002, 00:13
Hey excellent! I forgot about the 1812 Overture- only with Tachikovsky do you get to use Artillery Cannons as part of the song ;)

I used to like that one too until i had to play it in band in the 8th grade...grr...thanx for the link. I appreciate it. *bows head in thanx*