PDA

View Full Version : Jerks on file-sharing networks

Ozzie
17th November 2001, 01:06
I was downloading American McGee's Alice on Morpheus one night and went out on an errand. I come back to see about 6 or 7 messages from the guy I was dling the file from that went like something this:
"Hey"
"Talk to me"
"Come on"
"Dude, I just want some conversation"
"Fine asshole, enjoy the goddamn game"
Apparently, it didn't occur to this guy that most people have better things to do then watching the progress meter.
Then there are others who expect you leave them a "thank you" message when you finish downloading from them and then bitch when you don't. WTF??!
Finally, there are some true assholes who don't really care about what they are sharing and spread corrupted zips, virii, trojans, etc.

n_ick2000
17th November 2001, 01:35
I've never had anybody attempt to talk to me on morpheus. Some people are just jerks. I would ignore it. I agree with your point that some people need to realize that we have better things to do that watching a progress meter.

griffinn
17th November 2001, 03:36
Sending thank-yous are a nice personal touch though. (But I don't do that. :p)

missyob
17th November 2001, 03:45
What about the people on winmx that let you download all the way to 95% and then go offline........... That really makes me mad. I always stay online until people are done downloading from me. That is what file SHARING is all about.

~ Missy

n_ick2000
17th November 2001, 03:53
That used to happen to me alot when I still had a 56k. Now, with my cable modem, I download my mp3 in a couple of minutes so it doesn't really matter.

missyob
17th November 2001, 03:55
I have cable modem also. It is not the fact that the file was not fully downloaded, but the rudeness of the person on the other end.

~ Missy

Ozzie
17th November 2001, 03:59
I sometimes cancel uploads on Morpheus but only because I know they'll probably be switched to another source automatically.

fish
17th November 2001, 17:52
I've only used P2P client chat to get some new Phishheads off the ground; showing them the ropes of downloading, taping, etc.

Other than that, it's completely useless, IMO...

NuLoser
17th November 2001, 17:56
Chat and P2P file sharing is stupid. I remember some of those chat rooms on Napster, nothing but crap. Also, people used to bitch lime mad because Gnutella didn't have chat. Now a lot of clients just hook up to IRC networks just to shut people up.

Ozzie
17th November 2001, 21:57
How much does it cost to have a cable connection? I see more and more peeps with cable on WinMX. I can't even play Unreal Tournament anymore because most players have mad higher ping than me.

fish
17th November 2001, 22:01
I pay $35 a month for it; I've heard that's the median for it.

n_ick2000
18th November 2001, 01:30
I pay 40 bucks a month for it.

Aeroe
18th November 2001, 03:32
you can ignore messages in morpheus, it's in the options.
but sometimes i get friendly conversation like "the file is bad, i already got it" or "the movie is actually..."

well more friendly people on edonkey than morpheus...

c2R
18th November 2001, 14:52
Originally posted by missyob
I have cable modem also. It is not the fact that the file was not fully downloaded, but the rudeness of the person on the other end.

What you have to remember is that some people can't help it - most of the ISPs in the UK terminate your connection after 2 hours, whether you're transferring data or not (if you're on dialup).

I use Morpheus now, so with download resuming and multi-user downloads it's not really an issue - but when I used Napster I used to pm anyone that started something that obviously wouldn't have time to finish and tell them - if I was at the computer that is; which again is not all the time, becuase obviously sitting watching a 100mb file downloading over dialup is not the most interesting way to spend an afternoon :)

teck-gold
20th November 2001, 03:12
Yeah, There are some F*cks on IRC like that too, stupid pricks.. They let me get about 98 %, then log off, then about 10 minutes later, they log back on, then it goes up to 99%. oops they are gone again, God i hate lamers!

Originally posted by missyob
What about the people on winmx that let you download all the way to 95% and then go offline........... That really makes me mad. I always stay online until people are done downloading from me. That is what file SHARING is all about.

~ Missy

matthew8
22nd November 2001, 23:37
Try eating chicken

papadoc
24th November 2001, 17:00
I have to agree that there are allot of thoughtless people sharing files.
I started using WinMx and more often than not people just drop off
with 90% or better finished.
I don't remember having that problem with Morpheus.
I will admit that most of my files are 120 minute essential mixes
or live broadcasts like that, and I know they take a while to download, even for me with a T1+ connection.
On the other hand if someone with a 56k connection is trying to download from me, I'll leave my system up all night to let them finish.
Or I'll send them a message that I'm leaving but I'll be back.
It's just a matter of courtesy.
I guess I'm just that way.
But not many are.
:D

NeoRenegade
24th November 2001, 18:26
What I hate is people who leave a system running unmanned on a sharing service, so that there's like a queue of 20 people waiting to download anything from them and you can't ask them to let you download anything.

c2R
25th November 2001, 00:04
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
What I hate is people who leave a system running unmanned on a sharing service, so that there's like a queue of 20 people waiting to download anything from them and you can't ask them to let you download anything.

I leave my morpheus on all the time when I'm connected to the net. I can set it downloading a music video, or film or something that can take several hours (cause I'm on 56k). There's no way I'm going to sit and watch it transfer bytes so I'll go out or to bed or something and leave it running.

SpaceMarine11010
26th November 2001, 05:00
in morpheus, just turn off you arbility to recieve messages...all will be fixed :)

Freezey
30th November 2001, 21:28
Yes, there certaintly are a ton of pricks on file sharing programs. Lots of people just sign off whe i've got about 92% done, and using a dial-up connection, that really pisses me off.

missyob
1st December 2001, 01:18
Originally posted by NeoRenegade

However, if you look at things from a different point of view, if they did not leave it on, then no one could download from them at all. I leave WinMx open when I go to bed. I figure that I am not using the computer, and why not let someone have the opportunity to download music from me?

Have a great night Neo or whatever your name is now.

~ Missy

stttafffy
7th December 2001, 06:06
what about nice filesharing people? im on audiogalaxy, and the message system is really an integral part of the program. its web based, so you go on the web page and look up the song, then download anonymously. you can log off in the middle of a song and the other person won't even notice it, it switches in like 10 seconds for 56k. i used to have a 36.6k, and i downloaded about 2.5 gigs over a year, and i sent out maybe 300 megs. now that i have my new computer, and dsl, i leave it on all night just so ag users can dl. in the past two and a half months i sent like 16.5 gigs out. its pretty cool. if you ever have any question about music or anything check out the message boards at audiogalaxy. if you are already on ag, and like fatboy slim or thechemical brothers or prodigy or mostly any electronic music at all and have a question, the fine folks at the fatboy slim board WILL find your answer. my ag sceren name is sttaffy, so if you are ever REALLY bored, you can bother me. morpheus is garbage compared to AG for music. and instead of people sending me songs that they know ill like and answering my questions on audiogalaxy, people on morpheus tell me to 'ffck off' and stff like that. not nice... anyway, i like winamp.

weedsatan
7th December 2001, 12:23
Originally posted by stttafffy
then download anonymously

You really think so huh?

stttafffy
7th December 2001, 15:23
well, generally anonymous, like your name doesnt show up next to the download. i know there have to be ways to get around it, but i dont care, really