X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dickchuck
    • Jan 2011

Karaoke and effect cue version of Milkdrop2

Hey all - been a while. We all know Milkdrop/2 rocks. This may be redundant, but I re-compiled a version that looks to a cue sheet for timed triggering of otherwise already defined visualization presets, images, and adds the karaoke-like cueing of messages/song lyrics.

The plug (vis_milkaoke.dll) looks to directory of the current song for a *.kar file. That file might look like...

[preset00]
    name=Aderrasi - Making Time.milk
    start=0.0
    blend=1.0

[sprite00]
    image=00
    start=5.0

[karaoke00]
    text=I tried to be the perfect soldier.
    font=0
    size=40
    x=0.5
    y=0.4
    start=11.0
    end=16.5

[karaoke01]
    text=I tried to be...
    font=0
    size=40
    x=0.5
    y=0.5
    start=17.0
    end=18.5

[karaoke02]
    text=what everyone said was expected.
    font=0
    size=40
    x=0.5
    y=0.6
    start=19.0
    end=22.5

[karaoke03]
    text=Somehow I was selected.
    font=0
    size=40
    x=0.5
    y=0.5
    start=23.0
    end=25.0

The start and end times are all in floating seconds, the presets and images (here called sprites) behave as they normally do - even using Mikdrop standard directories for presets and textures (images). The [karaoke] entries should have a start and stop time. Note, Milkdrop supports only one active "supertext" overlay at a time. So, text has to be closely tweaked to flow usefully - see the example for Styx - She Cares.mp3 sample included.

I am considering the additional investment of time if you guys think it's worth while - to expand the multiple overlays - say 4 - to accomplish multiple lines of text and color changes for M/F part and prompting.

As is, if you wanted to take the effort to create image sheets of karaoke text you could accomplish that with only cued sprites. Remember, the sprites define if they self destruct at a certain time - or as always - you can nuke manually.

Note, the current version uses slot #99 of the custom messages - so I'd stay away from that if you plan to use this plugz' karaoke text features.
    Attached Files
  • dickchuck
    • Jan 2011

NEW VERSION - event cuer for MilkDrop

Okay - still not finished but this is a better approach. See the example.mdc file (also below) and vis_mdc.dll version of Milkdrop in the zip file. The truly karaoke part isn't invoked yet, but could use text prompting here to much effect.

//vis_mdc.dll is a modified compilation of MilkDrop2 that cues events to the playing song according to
    //a supplemental file.
    // -title pops
    // -sprite pop-ups and terminations
    // -switches to presets
    // -text pop-ups
    //can be controlled/synched with this compile - the format is below for each type of entry,
    //and there can be up to 64 of each kind per file.
    //
    //It will look for a file like this one in the same directory as the playing
    //song upon song change or first start.
    //The filename should be identical to song but with *.mdc extension.
    //In fact - right now, the plug has a glitch (fix coming) that limits use to songs with
    //file type having an exactly three letter *.xxx extension as is, such as .mp3.
    //
    //One other feature, presets file named beginning with "_" character will be skipped over on
    //random seek by user or code. I did this because there are some presets that I like, such as
    //one that's out there that looks like Pac-Man with Ghosts, but I don't generally want that
    //popping up. I renamed the preset "_Like Pac Man.milk". Of course, I can manually cursor to it still
    //or cue it from this or other *.mdc file, like one I could make for the song "Pac Mac Fever".
    //
    //Orignal sprite and messaging should remain in tact (including up to message99)
    //
    //consider the Karaoke options at the end for future expansion.
    //
    //When I am playing scripted songs like this, I like to turn off random song title pops, random message pop ups,
    //and remove the extra random time between presets (see visualization config tab).
    //Title popup on song change I leave.

[preset00]
    name=Aderrasi - Making Time.milk
    start=0.0
    range=1.0
    blend=1.0
    //Start is the playback time to invoke the named preset within the default directory.
    //Range is the range above Start (in sec) that will trigger the preset if a ffwd or rwnd
    //lands in that interval. Blend is the time to blend transition from one preset to next.

[sprite00]
    image=1
    start=27.0
    time=8.0
    //Start is the time at which to invoke the sprite## as defined by image## in img.ini file.
    //A positive Time will terminate the sprite slot in that many seconds after start (here after 8 secs).
    //A negative Time will leave termination up to user control/sprite definition.
    //If Time is used to terminate a Sprite that has already self-terminated or been killed by user,
    //it is posible that another already visible sprite will be turned off.
    //In other words, Time was intended to use with
    //sprites that don't self-terminate, and those that do terminate should use Time = (-).
    //If the sprite does not self terminate, and Time is longer than song or negative,
    //they sprite will be killed upon switching to a new song.

[title00]
    start=5.0
    range=1.0
    //Start is the trigger time to have title pop-up.
    //range is similar to defined for [preset##] above.

[text00]
    text=here's some testing text!
    font=0
    size=40
    x=0.5
    y=0.5
    start=11.0
    time=4.0
    growth=1.1
    //all custom message attributes are available - with Start time parameter added and Time being the
    //time (in sec) on screen before termination to background.

//****************************************************************************
    //** below for puture expansion - text will be a simple default font only. **
    //****************************************************************************
    [karaoke00]
    part=lead
    lyrics="summer lovin', had me a blast."
    start = 12.0
    prompt = 15.0
    end = 18.0
    //'Part' can be lead, backing, or duet.
    //Also use duet for solo - text appears in a single chunk in the vertical center of screen.
    //Text will start green then grey-out as sync/prompt.
    //Lead text will appear top justified in blue with grey-out prompt.
    //Backing text will appear bottom justified in pink with grey-out prompt.

[karaoke01]
    part=backing
    lyrics="summer lovin', happened so fast!"
    start = 13.0
    prompt = 16.0
    end = 19.0
    //'Part' can be lead, backing, or duet.
    //Also use duet for solo - text appears in a single chunk in the vertical center of screen.
    //Text will start green then grey-out as sync/prompt.
    //Lead text will appear top justified in blue with grey-out prompt.
    //Backing text will appear bottom justified in pink with grey-out prompt.
    Attached Files

Comment

• dickchuck
      • Jan 2011

NEW VERSION - event cuer and Karaoke for Milkdrop2

Same ongoing mission, but now the Karaoke functions work. Below is a sample *.mdc file for use with the soundtrack version of Summer Nights from Grease. Couldn't upload song - maybe too large, or some copyright filter here.

See "Read Me.txt" in zip file. The job isn't 100% complete, consider it homework to complete the last verse.

Future work will allow a new setting in each song file, like time-offset and tempo, so the same file can be tweaked to play on different recordings of song (as long as otherwise structure is same, of course).

//vis_mdc.dll is a modified compile of MilkDrop2 that cues events to the playing song according to
      //a supplemental file for each song. The following...
      // -title pops [title##]
      // -sprite pop-ups and terminations [sprite##]
      // -switches to presets [preset##]
      // -artistic text pop-ups [text##] (not the custom messages, but text defined for each song per file)
      // -lyrics pop-ups [karaoke##]
      //can be controlled/synched with mdc (MilkDrop Cue) - the format is below for each type of entry in the files,
      //
      //It will look for a file (like this one) in the same directory as the playing
      //song - loaded upon song change or first start.
      //The filename should be IDENTICAL to song file but with *.mdc extension.
      //In fact - right now, the plug has a glitch (fix coming) that limits use to songs with
      //
      //One other feature, Milkdrop visual presets file named beginning with "_" character will be skipped over on
      //random seek by user or code by this compile. I did this because there are some presets that I like, such as
      //one that's out there that looks like Pac-Man with Ghosts, but I don't generally want that
      //popping up. I renamed the preset "_Like Pac Man.milk". Of course, I can manually cursor to it still
      //or cue it from these *.mdc files, like one I could make for the song "Pac Mac Fever".
      //
      //Orignal sprite and messaging should remain in tact (including up to message99). See below each example entry here
      //for summer nights for per-event-type instructions.
      //
      //When I am playing scripted songs like this, I like to turn off random song title pops, random message pop ups,
      //and remove the extra random time between presets (see visualization config tab).
      //Title popup on song change I usually leave in place. Note - there can still be ONLY ONE text pop-up on screen at a time, so
      //random pops will kill any graphic text or lyrics on screen - and they will overwrite any text as well.
      //
      //coming soon...
      //a time offset and tempo entry to keep a given *mdc file synced with various
      //subtly different versions of songs.

[sprite00]
      image=0
      start=3.0
      time=8.0
      //cue the image00 defined in the img.ini file - and kill at after 8 seconds.
      //show starting at time 0:03 and leave on for 8 seconds duration.

[sprite01]
      image=1
      start=77.5
      time=-1.0
      //cue the image01 defined in img.ini and let it handle it's own death.

[preset00]
      name=_Aderrasi - Green Lock Tumblers (Receding Mix).milk
      start=7.0
      range=1.0
      blend=1.0
      //Start is the playback time to invoke the named preset within the default directory.
      //Range is the range above Start (in sec) that will still trigger the preset if a ffwd or rwnd
      //lands in that interval.
      //Blend is the time to blend into this preset.
      //Notice the "_" beginning of preset filename - this preset would never be chose by the player randomly.

[title00]
      start=0
      range=1.0
      //Start is the trigger time to have the song title pop-up.
      //Range is as for [preset##] above.
      //This was added here in case player has "show title on change" turned off - to insure title shows for this song.

[title01]
      start=201.0
      range=1.0
      //Nice touch to re=show song title as song ends/fades. Could do with artistic text, too.

[text00]
      text=From the motion picture GREASE.
      font=0
      size=30
      x=0.5
      y=0.65
      start=3.0
      time=1.5
      growth=1.2
      r = 255
      g = 255
      b = 0
      //All custom [message##] attributes are available - as for msg.ini, including font definitions.
      //Start and Time parameters added to normal message type being the start playback point and

[karaoke00]
      partL=Summer lovin', had me a blast!
      partB=Summer lovin', happened so fast!
      start = 5.0
      promptL = 8.0
      promptB = 12.0
      end = 14.0
      //Fonts and colors already prechosen. I want any future attempts to adapt files from exisitng lyrics formats
      //to this one to be as painless as possible. Hoping this will catch on, and we can develop a large public
      //FOSS database of karaoke files for Winamp.
      //partL is "lead" - shown at the top of the screen in blue. Quotations optional.
      //partD is "duet" (or solo, really) - shown in the middle in green.
      //partB is "backing" (or co-singer, really) - shown toward the bottom in pink.
      //Start is the playback time to splash this lyrics set on screen.
      //The prompts give the times at which to shade the parts to signal start to actually sing.
      //End is usual - time to kill this pop-up. See below for more examples.
      //[preset##] [text##] and all entries can be placed in the file in any order.

[karaoke01]
      partL=I met a girl, crazy for me.
      partB=Met a boy, cute as can be.
      start = 14.0
      promptL = 16.0
      promptB = 20.0
      end = 21.5

[karaoke02]
      partD="Summer days, driftin' away. To ah...\all those su-u-mmer nights."
      start = 22.0
      promptD = 23.75
      end = 28.5

[karaoke03]
      partL="{backing males}\O-well, o-well, o-well, a-uh!\Tell me more, tell me more,\did you get very far?"
      partB="{backing females}\Tell me more, tell me more,\Like does he have a car?"
      start = 29.0
      promptL = 29.5
      promptB = 35.0
      end = 40.0

[karaoke04]
      partL=She swam by me.\She got a cramp.
      partB=He ran by me.\Got my suit damp.
      start = 41.0
      promptL = 43.0
      promptB = 47.0
      end = 48.5

[karaoke05]
      partL=Saved her life.\She nearly drowned!
      partB=He showed off.\Splashin' around.
      start = 49.0
      promptL = 50.5
      promptB = 54.5
      end = 56.0

[karaoke06]
      partD=Summer sun... something's begun.\But ah...\all those su-u-ummer nights.
      start = 56.5
      promptD = 58.0
      end = 62.0

[karaoke07]
      partD="{backing voices}\O-well, o-well, o-well, a-uh!"
      start = 62.0
      promptD = 64.0
      end = 65.0

[karaoke08]
      partL="{backing males}\Tell me more, tell me more,\did she put up a fight?"
      partB="{backing females}\Tell me more, tell me more,\Was it love at first sight?"
      start = 65.0
      promptL = 70.0
      promptB = 66.0
      end = 72.0

[karaoke09]
      partL="{backing males}\Uh, uh..."
      partB="{backing females}\Down, doobie-doo..."
      start = 72.0
      promptB = 73.0
      promptL = 74.0
      end = 78.0

[karaoke10]
      partL=Took her bowling, in the arcade.
      partB=We went strolling, drank lemonade.
      start = 79.0
      promptL = 81.9
      promptB = 85.0
      end = 85.75

[karaoke11]
      partL=We made out, under the dock.
      partB=We stayed out, 'til o'clock.
      partD={backing females} stayed out...\'til ten o'clock...
      start = 87.0
      promptL = 89
      promptB = 93
      promptD = 93
      end = 94.5

[karaoke12]
      partD=Summer fling, don't mean a thing.\But ah...\all those summer niiiights!
      start = 95.0
      promptD = 97
      end = 103

[karaoke13]
      partL="{backing males}\Tell me more, tell me more,\but you don't gotta brag."
      partB="{backing females}\Tell me more, tell me more,\'cos he sounds like a drag!"
      start = 104.0
      promptL = 104.5
      promptB = 108.2
      end = 112

[karaoke14]
      partD="{backing voices} shoo-pop-pop\shoo-pop-pop, shoo-pop-pop\shoo-pop-pop, shoo-pop-pop\shoo-pop-pop, shoo-pop-pop, yeah!"
      start = 112.1
      promptD = 113
      end = 119
      Attached Files

Comment

• AuralArchitect
        • Mar 2012

Originally Posted by dickchuck View Post
        Same ongoing mission, but now the Karaoke functions work. Below is a sample *.mdc file for use with the soundtrack version of Summer Nights from Grease. Couldn't upload song - maybe too large, or some copyright filter here.

See "Read Me.txt" in zip file. The job isn't 100% complete, consider it homework to complete the last verse.

Future work will allow a new setting in each song file, like time-offset and tempo, so the same file can be tweaked to play on different recordings of song (as long as otherwise structure is same, of course).
        Wow, that's pretty awesome! I'm gonna check this out… Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm glad to see that somebody has been doing something with the MD code since it was open sourced. Maybe more are and they just haven't finished yet, or decided to share…
        Unfortunately this forum will be gone in less than a month and who knows where/how I would be able to find out about any developments/updates to MD.

Comment

• toreroerba
          • Jan 2014

Manage a kar file or Mdc file

Hy
          I appreciate so mutch your work and your development to insert karoke in Visualitazion Milkdrop, but I can t understand a simple way to synchronize the words that I have in a text file inside your MDC file or Kar
          I find too diffult job put exactly the word in a video values inside Mdc or Kar.
          My question is that: there is some timeline software or other plugin that can help to do this?
          Maybe starting on a Midi file with a melodic line?

Regard (Roberto musician)

Comment

• toreroerba
            • Jan 2014

Karaoke Inside AVS effects

Originally Posted by dickchuck View Post

//vis_mdc.dll is a modified compile of MilkDrop2 that cues events to the playing song according to
            //a supplemental file for each song. The following...
            // -title pops [title##]
            // -sprite pop-ups and terminations [sprite##]
            // -switches to presets [preset##]
            // -artistic text pop-ups [text##] (not the custom messages, but text defined for each song per file)
            // -lyrics pop-ups [karaoke##]
            //can be controlled/synched with mdc (MilkDrop Cue) - the format is below for each type of entry in the files,
            //
            //It will look for a file (like this one) in the same directory as the playing
            //song - loaded upon song change or first start.
            //The filename should be IDENTICAL to song file but with *.mdc extension.
            //
            //One other feature, Milkdrop visual presets file named beginning with "_" character will be skipped over on
            //random seek by user or code by this compile. I did this because there are some presets that I like, such as
            //or cue it from these *.mdc files, like one I could make for the song "Pac Mac Fever".
            //
            //Orignal sprite and messaging should remain in tact (including up to message99). See below each example entry here
            //for summer nights for per-event-type instructions.
            //
            //Title popup on song change I usually leave in place. Note - there can still be ONLY ONE text pop-up on screen at a time, so
            //random pops will kill any graphic text or lyrics on screen - and they will overwrite any text as well.
            //
            //coming soon...
            //a time offset and tempo entry to keep a given *mdc file synced with various
            //subtly different versions of songs.

[sprite00]
            image=0
            start=3.0
            time=8.0
            //cue the image00 defined in the img.ini file - and kill at after 8 seconds.
            //show starting at time 0:03 and leave on for 8 seconds duration.

[sprite01]
            image=1
            start=77.5
            time=-1.0
            //cue the image01 defined in img.ini and let it handle it's own death.

[preset00]
            name=_Aderrasi - Green Lock Tumblers (Receding Mix).milk
            start=7.0
            range=1.0
            blend=1.0
            //Range is the range above Start (in sec) that will still trigger the preset if a ffwd or rwnd
            //lands in that interval.
            //Blend is the time to blend into this preset.
            //Notice the "_" beginning of preset filename - this preset would never be chose by the player randomly.

[title00]
            start=0
            range=1.0
            //Start is the trigger time to have the song title pop-up.
            //Range is as for [preset##] above.
            //This was added here in case player has "show title on change" turned off - to insure title shows for this song.

[title01]
            start=201.0
            range=1.0
            //Nice touch to re=show song title as song ends/fades. Could do with artistic text, too.

[text00]
            text=From the motion picture GREASE.
            font=0
            size=30
            x=0.5
            y=0.65
            start=3.0
            time=1.5
            growth=1.2
            r = 255
            g = 255
            b = 0
            //All custom [message##] attributes are available - as for msg.ini, including font definitions.
            //Start and Time parameters added to normal message type being the start playback point and

[karaoke00]
            partL=Summer lovin', had me a blast!
            partB=Summer lovin', happened so fast!
            start = 5.0
            promptL = 8.0
            promptB = 12.0
            end = 14.0
            //Fonts and colors already prechosen. I want any future attempts to adapt files from exisitng lyrics formats
            //to this one to be as painless as possible. Hoping this will catch on, and we can develop a large public
            //FOSS database of karaoke files for Winamp.
            //partL is "lead" - shown at the top of the screen in blue. Quotations optional.
            //partD is "duet" (or solo, really) - shown in the middle in green.
            //partB is "backing" (or co-singer, really) - shown toward the bottom in pink.
            //Start is the playback time to splash this lyrics set on screen.
            //The prompts give the times at which to shade the parts to signal start to actually sing.
            //End is usual - time to kill this pop-up. See below for more examples.
            //[preset##] [text##] and all entries can be placed in the file in any order.

[karaoke01]
            partL=I met a girl, crazy for me.
            partB=Met a boy, cute as can be.
            start = 14.0
            promptL = 16.0
            promptB = 20.0
            end = 21.5

[karaoke02]
            partD="Summer days, driftin' away. To ah...\all those su-u-mmer nights."
            start = 22.0
            promptD = 23.75
            end = 28.5

[karaoke03]
            partL="{backing males}\O-well, o-well, o-well, a-uh!\Tell me more, tell me more,\did you get very far?"
            partB="{backing females}\Tell me more, tell me more,\Like does he have a car?"
            start = 29.0
            promptL = 29.5
            promptB = 35.0
            end = 40.0

[karaoke04]
            partL=She swam by me.\She got a cramp.
            partB=He ran by me.\Got my suit damp.
            start = 41.0
            promptL = 43.0
            promptB = 47.0
            end = 48.5

[karaoke05]
            partL=Saved her life.\She nearly drowned!
            partB=He showed off.\Splashin' around.
            start = 49.0
            promptL = 50.5
            promptB = 54.5
            end = 56.0

[karaoke06]
            partD=Summer sun... something's begun.\But ah...\all those su-u-ummer nights.
            start = 56.5
            promptD = 58.0
            end = 62.0

[karaoke07]
            partD="{backing voices}\O-well, o-well, o-well, a-uh!"
            start = 62.0
            promptD = 64.0
            end = 65.0

[karaoke08]
            partL="{backing males}\Tell me more, tell me more,\did she put up a fight?"
            partB="{backing females}\Tell me more, tell me more,\Was it love at first sight?"
            start = 65.0
            promptL = 70.0
            promptB = 66.0
            end = 72.0

[karaoke09]
            partL="{backing males}\Uh, uh..."
            partB="{backing females}\Down, doobie-doo..."
            start = 72.0
            promptB = 73.0
            promptL = 74.0
            end = 78.0

[karaoke10]
            partL=Took her bowling, in the arcade.
            partB=We went strolling, drank lemonade.
            start = 79.0
            promptL = 81.9
            promptB = 85.0
            end = 85.75

[karaoke11]
            partL=We made out, under the dock.
            partB=We stayed out, 'til o'clock.
            partD={backing females} stayed out...\'til ten o'clock...
            start = 87.0
            promptL = 89
            promptB = 93
            promptD = 93
            end = 94.5

[karaoke12]
            partD=Summer fling, don't mean a thing.\But ah...\all those summer niiiights!
            start = 95.0
            promptD = 97
            end = 103

[karaoke13]
            partL="{backing males}\Tell me more, tell me more,\but you don't gotta brag."
            partB="{backing females}\Tell me more, tell me more,\'cos he sounds like a drag!"
            start = 104.0
            promptL = 104.5
            promptB = 108.2
            end = 112

[karaoke14]
            partD="{backing voices} shoo-pop-pop\shoo-pop-pop, shoo-pop-pop\shoo-pop-pop, shoo-pop-pop\shoo-pop-pop, shoo-pop-pop, yeah!"
            start = 112.1
            promptD = 113
            end = 119
            Hy friends, as I show in this picture
            I' d like to have just one better equiped system where I can sync text files or import mid or cdg files for use with (inside) AVS effect visualization plugin (such as milkdrop effects)
            Karaoke effect is possible of course, but three separate systems (Lyrics window, CDG software creations and MDC files)
            Mdc files but very difficult for textual syncronization line by line in mdc)
            So Really it doesnt possible to link a preset AVS to a text file with timing start and ending words?
            Or better It doesnt possible to have a human way to manage MDC files for sync?
            Milkdrop2 I think is the best solution (great dickchuck ) but without a sync tool too difdfult for manage lyrics
            Attached Files

Comment

• dickchuck
              • Jan 2011

Synchro App for MDC files

I was just playing around with the MDC version of Milkdrop2 that I use for 4th of July fireworks show backdrop as well as some custom Karaoke-ing when I thought I'd check and see if anyone had ever "run with the ball" since I last checked in. I now have a library of a few dozen Karaoke files that I use at weddings and for live shows with my band and what not. BTW it adds a great effect for live performances to Milkdrop a projected background that has lyrics / images / and line-in live beat detection running. Really brings a show to life.

Aaaaannyyway....

I see that at least one other person would like a better way to construct the MDC files than text editing and by ear timing. I always had planned to create a little program for that. So, I will try to cook something up this week and hopefully get you some easier use.

I had hoped someone would run with this and we could grow a database of MDC karaoke files, or better yet - someone with knowledge of lyrics databases out there could help automate to a way to pull lyrics/timing info from those files into an MDC file. I think this will need an added feature - to put an "offset time" at the start of the MDC file... because we all have gotten mp3s from so many sources that the actual start time of the music could vary as much as a few seconds for the "same" song. Needs someway to quickly 'adjust' the file for these variations before popular acceptance.

Comment

• dickchuck
                • Jan 2011

I've finished the MDC Synchro app. Check out the new thread in the forum. I can't seem to actually upload the files though. Message me if you want to check it out.
                -DickChuck

Comment

Working...
                X