X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

SHOUTcast Transcoder 2 Beta (Build 40) 12/14/2010

Presenting the latest BETA drop of the SHOUTcast Transcoder for broadcasters, developers and testers. This build is our latest GM release candidate and introduces new features as listed in the “Changes” section below, as well as addresses bugs reported in the previous BETA builds.

This BETA release is now available for the following platforms:
    • Windows (32-bit and 64-bit (*) versions) (Windows 2000 not currently supported - this may be permanent)
    • Linux
    • Mac OS X (Intel)
    • BSD 8.x (*)
    * These are newly supported versions of the transcoder as of this release.

Downloads

A brand new version of the SHOUTcast Transcoder is almost here! We are crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s to bring you the best SHOUTcast broadcaster tools. Please check back on Friday July 8 2011 for the latest SHOUTcast Transcoder or check out the new DSP below. We thank you for your patience.

Changes
    • Now ships in BSD 8.x and Windows 64-bit
    • Fixed locale issues preventing sc_trans from loading without changing the machine's locale (non-Windows issue)
    • Added support for 'include' when processing the configuration files (equivalent of the version in sc_serv)
    • Massive documentation update with full configurations details, example configurations and getting started guide
    • Playlist no longer requires a new line at the end of it for single entry playlists
    • Changed config handling to close sc_trans if not set / missing / invalid
    • Changed the <soon> metadata field to return the next item in the playlist instead of the last lookup entry as seems to be the case - should now report the correct song
    • On Windows 'Ctrl + Break' is now handled as a valid quit command instead of just having the running instance close immediately
    • Added description for the Windows service so it's clearer the service is ours
    • Changed VUimage defaults to be PNG instead of JPG (official distribution now ships with size optimised PNG versions of the images)
    • Minor log message changes to sort of standardise the message style
    • Upgraded libraries to use expat-2.0.1, libogg-1.2.1, libvorbis-1.3.2, vorbis_tools-1.4.0

Getting Started

If you already have a running instance of the transcoder then there should not be any issues with replacing your current version with this new version.

If this is a new install then make sure to read through the information in the 'docs' folder along with the example configuration files provided in this new version which should make it easier to get started.

Reporting Issues

If you do come across an issue with the transcoder, then please do post in this thread with as much information as possible about what you're doing at the time, the system you are using and anything else which will make it easier to understand what is or isn't going on with your install.

Additional Information

Windows versions of the transcoder are built with a dependency against the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package. If sc_trans is unable to start due to a dependency issue then you will need to install the correct version of the package so it can run which depends on the version of sc_trans you are attempting to run:

32-bit - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...d-3802b2af5fc2
    64-bit - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...4-157cfdffee4e

This new version has been tested on a number of current Linux versions (Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS) so should hopefully run on other versions as well and without any dependency or locale related issues (as affected prior versions).

Discussion about the previous version of the transcoder can be found here -> SHOUTcast Transcoder 2 (Build 39)

-daz
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog
  • jaromanda
    Forum King
    • Jun 2007

Does mode=mix for op=capture (2.24 in the sc_trans_ajax_api.txt documentation) actually work yet?
    "If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did

Comment

• DrO
      • Sep 2003

those options are listed but are not implemented (appears to be placeholders for a planned action which has not been implemented) so will change the documentation for the next release or see if it is something which can be easily implemented (am assuming it's meant to act in a similar manner to the fading options with the Source DSP plug-in based on the names).

the response back is meant to return the following (if all of the params from mode onwards are passed):
      <warning>mode parameter not supported</warning>
      <warning>duration parameter not yet supported</warning>
      <warning>volume parameter not yet supported</warning>
      <warning>undervolume parameter not yet supported</warning>
      is there anything else which needs to be checked out corrected that you know off / have seen with the older version(s) which are still wrong with this new release?

-daz

Comment

• jaromanda
        Forum King
        • Jun 2007

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
        is there anything else which needs to be checked out corrected that you know off / have seen with the older version(s) which are still wrong with this new release?
        that's the only thing in the documentation I know of

by the way, as far as the documentation goes, even though it's a text "only" document (not a negative in my opinion, but others may like glitzy doco with screen caps etc) it's easy to follow ... English speakers have no excuse to ask "how do I install sc_serv/sc_trans/sc_dsp" - it's all in the "fine" documentation - well done
        "If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did

Comment

• DrO
          • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
          that's the only thing in the documentation I know of
          rightio, will do something either way with it, even if it is just removing it for the time being.

Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
          by the way, as far as the documentation goes, even though it's a text "only" document (not a negative in my opinion, but others may like glitzy doco with screen caps etc) it's easy to follow ... English speakers have no excuse to ask "how do I install sc_serv/sc_trans/sc_dsp" - it's all in the "fine" documentation - well done
          well there may be a bit more 'glitz' with the online version that will be going up though i don't think there's too much which can be done with a text console based system (though point noted ).

-daz

Comment

• Elus1ve
            • Sep 2008

Question:

Whats the way to serve multiple streams for listeners of the same stream? ie 128kbps, 192kbps
            Ccombination i use atm is soutcast dnas 1.98+ transcast (some old beta build). Is this supported by the new versions? Do i need to run multiple instances or how do i accomplish it?
            thx in advance

Comment

• DrO
              • Sep 2003

sc_trans can provide mutliple sources and sc_serv can accept multiple sources and server up different streams from it (using the yp2 features along with the support for different stream ids in a single instance) so i would have thought that is the way to do it.

-daz

Comment

• oLRi
                • May 2008

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
                If you already have a running instance of the transcoder then there should not be any issues with replacing your current version with this new version.
                Had Version 39 running on my system. I replaced the bin with the new one. Now all i get is:

"Segmentation fault"

The Stream runns for 2-3 seconds.
                Attached Files

Comment

• DrO
                  • Sep 2003

famous last words i guess. will look into it over the next few days and will send you a test version as applicable (alas i changed from compiling sc_trans on ubuntu to centos a few days before release so not sure if that might be part of the issue).

btw, i've changed the log from a [code] block to a text file attachment just to make it easier to keep reading through the thread.

-daz

Comment

• oLRi
                    • May 2008

Thank you for your help

My Test-System was:
                    Debian Lenny x64 (with ia32-libs installed)

Comment

• DrO
                      • Sep 2003

rightio, that might be something related as i've not had a chance to test things out on an 64-bit linux system (though i do intend to get 64-bit linux compiles done at some point seeing as there's a native Windows 64-bit version so only seems fair).

-daz

Comment

• mixfeever
                        • Dec 2010

Metadata problem

Hello,

I've an error with metadata. A DJ was connecting and metadata was OK, but after sometimes, no metadata ...

Example : OK
                        see initial_response.txt

Example after : HS
                        see error_response.txt

I had to restart sc_trans to have metadata

What's happend ?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• DrO
                          • Sep 2003

at a guess it is most likely related to the 'msg:[titleupdate] DJ password has bad format' part which then leads to the title update failing to work. might want to check whatever is being used to connect to your sc_trans instance and make sure it's using a current version or see if there's been any newer versions which fix something like what is being seen.

have to say i've never seen this happen or aware of it happening elsewhere otherwise i'd have expected to see it appear beforehand (unless i've missed any prior posts about it, etc).

-daz

Comment

• mixfeever
                            • Dec 2010

Hello,

Sorry, i didn't have the latest version. I don't have the problem any more. But I've an other problem (With the latest version lol).

I'm connecting on sc_trans (as a DJ) and when i've a connection problem (with my provider), sc_trans say :

2010-12-19 11:20:34 E msg:[DJPROTOCOLSHOUTCAST] Data arriving too fast. Some has been lost
                            2010-12-19 11:20:34 E msg:[DJPROTOCOLSHOUTCAST] Data arriving too fast. Some has been lost
                            And i have to reboot sc_trans if i want to broadcast.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

• DrO
                              • Sep 2003

normally i've only seen that happen when there is a mis-match in the format sc_trans is expecting and what is being provided via the DJ i.e. feeding in mp3 but the endpoint being setup as aacp. it's something that i've got logged to look into further but that's the only way i've been able to reliably cause that message to appear (which was in combination with sc_trans and dsp_sc).

-daz

Comment

Working...
                              X