• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • not in santiago
    • May 2002

Classic Skin Contest!

Announcing . . . .

The Nostalgia Classic Skin Contest

I don't know about you, but Winamp Classic skins make me misty for the heady, carefree days of yore. Of a simpler, kinder time. Of a time some call "2001".

In keeping with this theme of sparkly-eyed sentimentality, I want to see your best childhood memory/obsession/interest/experience made into a classic skin. Take a minute to revisit your past and start fishing out some creative and skinnable ideas. If you're having trouble kickstarting your brain, look below for some random thoughts.

The Premise:

Pick some element of your childhood. It doesn't have to be infantile; for the sake of this contest, I'm going to say "childhood" is the period of time between birth and high school graduation. It doesn't have to be about any one specific thing, either. You can skin a memory, a place or an emotion. This contest has no specific mood either; you can create a reverent skin, a mushy sentimental skin, or a skin with detached comic irony. Whether you praise your childhood or brutally skewer it is up to you.

The Rules:

1. This contest is open to everyone. Yes, that means you.
    2. Classic Winamp skins only. Modern skins will not be accepted.
    3. Contest deadline is midnight, Monday, September 6th. Midnight = midnight forum time. Absolutely no extensions.
    4. The Main, EQ, Playlist, Media Library and Video windows MUST be skinned. If they are not skinned, you will receive an automatic 0 points for your completeness score. Cursors, MikroAmp, and old Minibrowser are optional, however, if you skin them all, you will receive an automatic 10 points for completeness.
    5. All entered skins will be judged on creativity (which includes how well the theme was interpreted), usability and completeness. Creativity is half the score, so let your imagination run wilder than a gaggle of children living solely on sugar.
    6. Posting your skin-in-progress in the forums is permitted, but not required. You can show it off and brag about it to everyone, or you can keep it a secret and enter the competition anonymously if you want. It's completely up to you.
    7. You may submit up to 3 skins, but take care to value quality over quantity.
    8. When you've finished your skin, please e-mail it to reverbe2 at yahoo dot com (substitute @ for "at" and . for "dot")
    9. I will post all the skins shortly after the deadline. Judging will be open to all forum members and contest participants and will be scored based on the judging criteria below. All scores will be submitted to me via private message. The judging period will be precisely 10 days.
    10. The winner will be the creator of the skin with the highest combined score. There is no formal prize, just the well-earned accolades of your peers.

Judging Criteria:

Creativity: 25 pts.
    Usability: 15 pts.
    Completeness: 10 pts.

TOTAL POINTS: 50

And finally . . .

I'm organizing this contest to rekindle a bit of the old Skin Love spirit, which I always found to be friendly and helpful. My other goal is to kickstart some latent creativity and give you incentive to get around to that skin you always meant to make. But above all, have fun with it!

If you need to question, comment or kvetch, you can PM me, or e-mail the aforementioned reverbe address.

Now get going!
  • not in santiago
    • May 2002

Some nostalgia skin ideas

Just in case you're having trouble coming up with an idea, here are some I just sat down and brainstormed. You can use any of these themes or make up your own. This list is simply for inspiration.

(P.S. - I'm sure I'm dating myself with some of the items mentioned here, but don't restrict yourself to items of a particular decade. Use item/s and decade/s relevant to you.)

etch-a-sketch
    spirograph
    fridge magnets/"fridge art"
    macaroni art
    sidewalk chalk
    playdough
    sandboxes
    snow
    mud

Tinker Toys/Lincoln Logs/Lego/K-nex
    Lite Brite
    Transformers
    GI Joe/action figures
    Hot Wheels
    board games (Monopoly, Clue, Risk, Life, etc.)
    Operation/Hungry Hungry Hippo/Perfection etc.
    Jenga
    Twister
    Fischer Price
    wooden blocks
    train sets

Dr. Seuss
    Golden books
    "serial" books
    comic books

Atari/Commodore/Coleco/the original Apple/NES/SNES
    games of the aforementioned
    classic arcade games
    handheld electronic games

Hanna Barbera cartoons
    your favourite TV shows growing up

candy - "penny" candy, novelty candy
    sugary breakfast cereals
    brand name beverages: Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch, Tang, Colas/sodas

playgrounds
    amusement parks
    sports
    summer camp
    family vacations
    report cards
    Holidays: Christmas, Halloween

Influential music growing up: punk, new wave, 80s hair bands, grunge, novelty K-tel albums - respectful or ironic
    the town/place you grew up in
    rebellion/angst/bad poetry/"phases"

Don't forget your skinning tools!

Skinner's Atlas tutorial

Classic Skinning Tips and Tricks

(And can I say that if someone made a Hungry Hungry Hippo skin, I would just die?)

Comment

• FooMonkey
      Listens to Chicago!
      (Major Dude)
      • Jun 2002

I shan't enter, but good luck to themfolks who do.
      [website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
      I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
      Jellby's Skiners' Atlas

Comment

• Mr Jones
        Ancient Mod
        • Sep 2000

Is this what you have decided on for definate? only asking as you have about 4 threads on the go about this contest in here, it's getting more crowded than a French brothel at happy hour.

If this is what y'all doing I'll close up some of the others.

Comment

• dlinkwit27
          has no CT
          (Forum King)
          • Sep 2000

so it's a private judging system then? Not a "let the public vote for a week" kinda thing?

::Deviant Me::Last.fm::WhatPulse Stats::Folding @ Home

Comment

• not in santiago
            • May 2002

Originally posted by Mr Jones
            If this is what y'all doing I'll close up some of the others.
            Yes, please close the contest idea thread and the two polls. I'd like to keep everything in one thread now.

The contest has been discussed for awhile and I decided it was time to take the reins and start making some decisions. There's no way I can please everyone; I hope those who choose not to enter the contest will support it with comments on skins and with judging in September.

dlinkwit27 - If you read rule #9, you'll see that the judging is a "let the public vote for a week" kinda thing (10 days, actually). I chose to go with a PM vote instead of a public poll just to make the judging a bit more sophisticated and a bit more honest.

Comment

• Mr Jones
              Ancient Mod
              • Sep 2000

*stuck*

Someone tell me when y'all done so it can be unstucked.

Comment

• not in santiago
                • May 2002

Gracias, Senor Jones.

Comment

• LuigiHann
                  Forum King
                  • Aug 2003

Awwe, I'd rather not have the list up there, it came creepily close to unveiling both of my two ideas. If I state my ideas, can I "call" them? I don't want anybody else doing "Magna-Doodle" or "Where's Waldo." Those are mine, and I plan on putting a lot of work into finishing both of them (Hopefully...).
                  And I almost want to suggest that "old video games" be disallowed, since that's my shtick and a completely seperate genre. But, to each his own. I like this contest already. And I like your avatar, Not in Santiago.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?

Comment

• dlinkwit27
                    has no CT
                    (Forum King)
                    • Sep 2000

Originally posted by not in santiago
                    dlinkwit27 - If you read rule #9, you'll see that the judging is a "let the public vote for a week" kinda thing (10 days, actually). I chose to go with a PM vote instead of a public poll just to make the judging a bit more sophisticated and a bit more honest.
                    so we are supposed to judge on
                    "Creativity: 25 pts.
                    Usability: 15 pts.
                    Completeness: 10 pts.

TOTAL POINTS: 50
                    "
                    then? I noramlyl just pick the ones I like best.

::Deviant Me::Last.fm::WhatPulse Stats::Folding @ Home

Comment

• k_rock923
                      \m/
                      (Forum King)
                      • Jul 2003

Can I "call" old nickeloden shows? Actually, if someone else does it too, thats cool. Its all in fun.
                      Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Comment

• StillWater
                        Forum King
                        • Mar 2002

I couldn't really think of many ideas, but when I started reading that great list, they started flooding in!

I fully intend to start a new skin for this contest, but it would also give me a good incentive to, in addition to that, finish off the Commander Keen skin that I started about a year ago. Is that allowed? Or is that a no-no?
                        Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net

Comment

• not in santiago
                          • May 2002

dlinkwit: Yes, that's the judging criteria. I just wanted people to give a reasonable amount of consideration to their choices. In the end it's all subjective, so you'll give the ones you like best higher scores, in effect "picking" them. Right?

StillWater: I knew there was something I forgot to mention! Half completed (i.e. works in progress) and unpublished skins are allowed. Published skins . . . well, I'd hate to turn down entries. Let's just say published skins are not encouraged.

Comment

• k_rock923
                            \m/
                            (Forum King)
                            • Jul 2003

oooh. maybe i'll finish the k'nex skin. . . I like this contest. I'm still in high school, going into senior year in september. Does that mean i can use my entire life as nostalgia? I'm actually not planning to. I think i'm doing tv shows from when i was little. But, would I have been allowed to?
                            Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Comment

• not in santiago
                              • May 2002

Originally posted by k_rock923
                              oooh. maybe i'll finish the k'nex skin. . . I like this contest. I'm still in high school, going into senior year in september. Does that mean i can use my entire life as nostalgia? I'm actually not planning to. I think i'm doing tv shows from when i was little. But, would I have been allowed to?
                              Good question! Nostalgia is all about "the past", though how far back something has to go to be worthy of nostalgia is a debatable issue. I would like to see people of all ages enter this contest, so I say if the subject isn't immediately recent (like, say, of the last year or two), then you're fine. Personally, I think it's more fun to revisit something you haven't thought about in awhile.

Happy to see some interest! (I was worried . . .) Can't wait to see your skins, y'all.

Comment

Working...
                              X