View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:39  
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Request for Test and Opinion [WINAMP TOOLS]

I would like to ask you to help with tests. Would be nice if you try it and write your opinion.
What would you add in such applications, what would you change. Is it working fine for you?
Thanks for any opinion. The newest version of Winamp Tools applications brings many changes and I hope it made it super easy to use and very simple.

For now 2 Winamp Tools applications are available:

ALL ABOUT WINAMP (WAAbout, v10.0.0.61 - 30.01.2019)
Link: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1548838564/WAAbout.exe

WINAMP BACKUP & RESTORE (WABackupRestore, v10.0.0.83 - 29.01.2019)
Link: http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/154...kupRestore.exe

Let me tell you something about Winamp Tools Project (https://www.pawelporwisz.pl/winamp/winamp_tools_en.php). Winamp Tools is a set of tools dedicated to Winamp. I started to write this very long time ago (first, it was just tool that helped me to organize translation for Winamp).
Over time, the program and all related files became more and more advanced. After many years of changes, improvements, writing new ideas, removing this ideas I created apps you can see now.
Today, all my simple helper applications, scripts or bath files bacame a Winamp Tools package. Winamp Tools consists of the following apps:

- All About Winamp (WAAbout): This application allows you to get and display all important information about Winamp,
- Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore): This application allows you to create backup of all Winamp files and settings and if it is neccessary restore it,
- Winamp Translation (WATranslator): This application allows you to simplify and organize Winamp interface translation. It is possibly to generate Winamp Language Pack (it is a wrapper for lng_generator, external application written by DrO).

At the begining, all this apps was written to complete so called Winamp PL project (Polish Language Pack, Polish Winamp help system and everything related with Winamp for Polish user). Few years ago, I thought it can be used by all Winamp users (this is why it support english language now).

Notes:
I have to notice that some time ago I was helping Koopa with his similar Winamp related tools (written in NSIS): Winamp Info Tool or Winamp Backup Tool (and other things). I was responsible for some graphics, some ideas and a lot of code... but, we decided both to not continue our cooperation. Later, I wrote my own backup tool based on his idea (and added it to my other applications).
The main reason to write my own application was a different look at the matter, limited script possibilities, etc...It seems, however, that for some the existence of two similar applications is too much... If you want to try it out, here is a link to his tools: http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/

Let me describe shortly each tool:

---------------------------------------------
ALL ABOUT WINAMP (WAAbout)

All About Winamp (WAAbout) is a simple and intuitive tool that allows you to gather and display information about Winamp. It can create report using simple wizard, you can manage your existing reports and finally you can just display the most important Winamp informations. The most important feature is possibility to create report (in text format - clear and simple text, or in HTML format - formatted, nice-looking document with images) with all important information about Winamp and its components.

It is written in Delphi, modern programming environment with convenient and fast compiler (now also 64bit). This allows to write whatever you want (the only problem is relatively big exe files produced by Delphi... but nowadays it seems not be a big deal (especially with UPX)).

I know that for many this program may be useless or completely unnecessary, but I hope that someone will find it useful (I love it! :P).

All About Winamp (WAAbout) application supports command-line options and exit error codes. Command-line options can help you to automate some actions or replace saved settings without changing it. Exit error codes can help you to diagnose the problem if something goes wrong (if /S command is passed and there is no visible information). Commands can be entered in upper or lower case. You should always use quotation marks for commands data. Passed paths need to be a fully qualified paths to work correctly.

To get to know all command-line options use in console: WAAbout.exe /?

WINAMP BACKUP & RESTORE (WABackupRestore)

Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore) application allows you to create a backup of all Winamp settings and files and if it is neccessary restore it. It is simple and intuitive application. It is designed to backup specific (or all) Winamp settings and files. Created backup file can be restored at any time. It is an invaluable tool for users who like to experiment with the settings or for those who simply want to backup Winamp files.

Winamp Backup & Restore application has an intuitive and simple interface, small size, is portable, compatible with Windows 7+. Thanks to preferences, allows you to customize it. It allows to generate detailed TXT/HTML reports for chosen actions and support several languages.

Winamp Backup & Restore runs in two modes - BACKUP and RESTORE.
BACKUP MODE
Backup mode allows to make a backup of all Winamp files and settings (user need to choose Winamp Installation Directory or directroy where Portable Winamp is located, define output backup directory, its filename, etc (you may use default), define report options and thats all.
Notes: You can make Full Backup or Normal Backup (Full is recommended).

RESTORE MODE
Restore Mode allows you to restore files from previously created Backup File into default Winamp Installation Directory (or defined by user).
To restore the files you need to choose Winamp Backup File (with wbr extension), choose output (destination) directory, define some report options and thats all!

Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore) application supports command-line options and exit error codes. Command-line options can help you to automate some actions. Exit error codes can help you to diagnose the problem if something goes wrong (if /S parameter is passed and there is no visible information).

Commands can be entered in upper or lower case. You should always use quotation marks for commands data. Passed paths need to be a fully qualified paths to work correctly. There are two basic actions: Backup (/BACKUP) and Restore (/RESTORE). Each action has specific commands that must be passed with it. There are also General and Report command-line options (optional, used both in Backup and Restore actions).

To get to know all command-line options use in console: WABackupRestore.exe /?

---

Notes: By default all backup files and generated reports are stored in the user directory. Settings are stored in:
All About Winamp (WAAbout):
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Winamp Tools\WAAbout\WAAbout.ini
Winamp Backup & Restore (WABackupRestore):
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Winamp Tools\WABackupRestore\WABackupRestore.ini

You can force using portable mode by changing config option in configuration file:

code:
[SYSTEM]
; App Configuration Files Mode [0=Portable | 1=User Directory]
UserMode=1 ; change to UserMode=0 to use application as portable
; App Default Language [1033 | 1045]
DefaultLang=1033

I hope this info is clear and maybe you will even find useful to use my Winamp Tools
-Pawel

Last edited by Pawel; 30th January 2019 at 07:57.
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote