X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cosmynnxd
    • May 2017

How long have you been using winamp !?

Well this is my favorite media player from that time i bought myself the first PC. So i used and still using it from 2003.
  • musicf8
    Major Dude
    • Apr 2013

I think I started using it in late 1997/1998, and since then never had a computer without it.
    Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• Aminifu
      Forum King
      • Aug 2011

I can say the same thing musicf8 said. I've tried others over the years, many others, but Winamp has remained my favorite desktop digital music player.
      Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
      Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Alrock
        • Feb 2016

Since my first PC also, circa 2001.

Have also dabbled with others over the years but never found anything nearly as good, they where all lacking that certain je ne sais quoi of Winamp.

Comment

• Sabine Klare
          Forum Queen
          • Nov 2010

I wish, I would have had an own PC, internet at home and enough computer-knowledges already in 1997. But I am not rich. We had started much later, with the first PC in 1999, with internet in 2004 and with my own PC and a monitor in 16:10 in August 2009. On 22nd July 2010 I saw Winamp the first time in my life, on my own PC. On 1st November 2011 Winamp had arrived also on my notebook.

I learned to know WAV already in 2007, in 2010 I had my first MP3s. I had to learn everything about computers alone, because I myself had no friend with a computer in Berlin. Also in the radio-chats nobody wanted to help me, when I had a question.

I refused to try out the rivals of Winamp, no iTunes, no VLC, no foobar2000, no MusicBee, no Clementine, no AIMP or whatever. I hope, that nobody will take away my Winamp from me. I want to keep my rights as adult to make my own decisions.

I have heard, that Microsoft wants to offer iTunes in its own App Store at the end of 2017. I hope, that we users will not be patronized by Microsoft some day and that we ourselves still can decide, which media player do we want to install on our computers...
          Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
          Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
          AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

• garetjax
            Candyass
            (Major Dude)
            • Apr 2001

Since Winamp wasn't WinAmp; and WinAmp wasn't winamp. :P~ At some stage during the first releases; some of the guys posted (hahahahaha...funny, but posting is a stretch.) anyways, when someone figured out the bmp's could be replaced with your own images...and then from there I used it until the last year or so, and as I have always had it installed even if not in use.

=============================
            So I think since it arrived as a download.

Since Day 1

Until now.

---------------

I like to think I contributed in some small way to the lifeblood that once was a thriving ecosystem of users, developers, designers and everything in between.
            Last edited by garetjax; 7 June 2017, 02:11. Reason: add year
            1001skins.net |
            That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk.

Comment

• tapi0
              • Aug 2002

I have Winamp installed in my computers since 2002 or 2003.
              IMO it was and it is still the best program to play mp3.
              Windows 7 + Winamp 5.666 Build 3516 / WACUP 0.9.9.1988

Comment

• keijo
                • Jun 2017

Back 20 years (1997), the Kjoföl player with built-in VQF and MP3 was my favorite. What actually killed it was the "unknown" tag it had almost everywhere, since there were not many VQF converters and everything was MP3 already.

So along came Winamp 1.4 with DJ Mike's intro, no effects, just his voice with the ubiquitous sentence. The input plugins that extended its ability to play many more formats including audio CDs made the difference. V2 was a huge overhaul, slick performance, internet radio, DSP plugins (MuchFX stole the show) and visualization studio. No rrom for Winamp3, but W5 (2+3) is what nowadays we all know.

OK, I typed way too much already :-)

Keijo!
                I have no ties to Radionomy/TargetSpot in any way. My posts/replies are my own so any advice I can give, try at your own risk.
                KDPST - Keijo Grooving Moods -- (Where Music Is Your Mood) --
                http://listen.shoutcast.com/kdpst-keijogroovingmoods

Comment

• musicf8
                  Major Dude
                  • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by keijo View Post
                  Back 20 years (1997), the Kjoföl player with built-in VQF and MP3 was my favorite. What actually killed it was the "unknown" tag it had almost everywhere, since there were not many VQF converters and everything was MP3 already.
                  I remember when I thought VQF was the greatest thing ever, how the quality of music was so good in a 96kbps file compared to a 128kbps mp3. Though the dial-up days any saves on file sizes were a blessing (unlike Microsoft's comment that their codec can product 128kbps mp3 quality in 64kbps... lies)
                  Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
                    Forum King
                    • Sep 2003

1999/2000 I started using Winamp and tried streaming my first station with it in 2002

I still use it now to listen to the odd stream on Shoutcast.

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• Hyper_NL
                      • Jul 2017

Somewhere since 1998, from Winamp 2.x onwards. However, WinPlay3 was my first MP3 player. During all of those years I made a short detour to K-Jöfol for the freeform skins. However, I ended up with Winamp bacause of the big library of (input) plugins it supports. And bacause I like to be able to play a large library of old and new game soundtracks with one player, Winamp is the only solution.

Winamp for all audio, Media Player Classic + K-lite Codec Pack for all video.

Comment

• zorrilla
                        • Dec 2015

I started using it many many years ago, as far as i remember it should be something like 1995
                        mp3gain alternative 2017

Comment

• musicf8
                          Major Dude
                          • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by zorrilla View Post
                          I started using it many many years ago, as far as i remember it should be something like 1995
                          you started using winamp two years before it was released? whoa....

Get wacup

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
                            Forum King
                            • Sep 2003

I discovered Winamp in 1999

still installed on my Windows 7 box

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• BradyBunchFan
                              • Jul 2017

Just started today.