• Show
Clear All
  • swingdjted
    DRINK BEER NOW
    (Forum King)
    • Feb 2006

How are your ears doing?

Well?

Mine do really well at 16K, and I can still hear 17 ok, but at 18 I'm not sure if I'm hearing the pitch standing out or if it's just part of the static/hiss. The rest on up just seem like static and hiss to me.
    Don't forget to live before you die.
  • Rocker
    Hiding in plain sight (mod)
    • Jun 2000

I think my shitty speakers can't do 17k thats why I can't hear it... can't wait to get my concept 6's back up and running.

Comment

• swingdjted
      DRINK BEER NOW
      (Forum King)
      • Feb 2006

Didn't try this myself yet, but try headphones too if you feel your speakers aren't up to par.

Comment

• Jedi Gemstone
        Major Dudette
        • Aug 2002

I hear 17 loud and clear, but nothing at 18
        My Website
        Deviantartness Yay
        This signature was brought to you by the colour Red and the number 14
        I'm A Purple Ghetto, So Follow Me To Sanity!! *Runs Off* I Have No Idea Where I'm Going......

Comment

• mike-db
          Pancakes!
          (Major Dude)
          • Feb 2005

I could not hear anything past 15hz.
          (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

• swingdjted
            DRINK BEER NOW
            (Forum King)
            • Feb 2006

At 21 and 22kHz, there are some sounds that might not be right standing out, sounds that are lower than they should be. I'm still not sure, on headphones or on good high-end Infinity brand speakers (run by a good sound card and Pioneer receiver with decent optical cable and speaker wire) whether or not I'm hearing 18, 19, or 20 due to the static, or due to my not being able to hear them.

Hi Jedi. Long time no see.

This one has slightly cleaner sounds, but requires Apple Quicktime to work. I can hear 18kHz better on it, but can't hear 19's actual pitch. The low frequencies are best on large speakers, and this test isn't real clean with them:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2010/10/hearing-loss-test/

Wolfram Alpha has an even better pitch player, but still requires Quicktime:

Get the free "Frequency Player" widget for your website, blog, Wordpress, Blogger, or iGoogle. Find more Music widgets in Wolfram|Alpha.

Comment

• rockouthippie
              Banned
              • Jun 2004

I'm kinda deaf in my left ear. Ear infection when I was a kid. 12khz. I can hear 17 with my right ear. It might be better than that though. My computer speakers aren't anything to write home about.

Comment

• cooky560
                Major Dude
                • Dec 2002

15 at my normal listening volume, if I double that volume, up to 17khz, I am listening through VERY expensive studio monitors rated to 23khz so thats not my stereo either
                Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
                Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
                All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing

Comment

• Widdykats
                  The Forum Slut
                  • Jun 2002

^ Your Stereo system is the "Bomb". I'd steal it.... Uh...nevermind. I hear fine. I hear what I want. No, that's not the point to this, but I'm happy.....
                  Ooh, Gabardine

Comment

• Warrior of the Light
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2002

Nothing over 16k but that may very well be because of the laptop speakers. My Sennheisers should go up to 21k.. I'll try them on my desktop pc to be safe and report back here
                    Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever

Comment

• rockouthippie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2004

I hooked up my good stereo. The receiver and speakers are good to 24khz. 17 right ear. 12 left ear.

Comment

• Warrior of the Light
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2002

strangely I am hearing a somewhat audible beep up to 21k, which should be impossible. I also hear 18k better and louder than 19k but I believe that when you're up to these frequencies and higher it is much more a test for your soundcard combined with your speakers/headphones rather than your ears.

update: I checked the senneheisers with the laptop too. Still, nothing over 16k. I guess the soundcard from the laptop just isn't any good for this.
                        Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever

Comment

• rockouthippie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

I used optical to hook it up. It might make a difference. It might not. It sounds like all our hearing is in the range of normal, except my left ear. I hear a "beepish" thing too. It's harmonic distortion/compression artifacts, not the tone. You'll run into the same thing listening to mp3 music sometimes. I don't think these test recordings are very clean.

Thinking about it, I wonder if these recordings are actually good enough to render the tones? It would have to be really high bitrate mp3 to get past 20khz. Flac would be the thing to use.

Comment

• swingdjted
                            DRINK BEER NOW
                            (Forum King)
                            • Feb 2006

They use .wav, so the format shouldn't be a limiting factor, at least at these frequencies. If they were to use .mp3, most bitrates chop everything above 16kHz.

Comment

• rockouthippie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2004

I didn't look, but what is the sample rate? It might be why these recordings chirp. Anything above half the sample rate needs need to be filtered out. The absolute theoretical maximum frequency response of your CD player is 22050 hz (Nyquist frequency). In practice that's about 19khz.

If you try to record frequencies greater than the Nyquist frequency (1/2 sample rate) it will beat against the Nyquist frequency. i.e. record 30khz @ 40khz sample rate and you'll get a 10 khz tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X