• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Znyper2
    • Nov 2006

Volunteering for Language Pack

Hi,

I would really like a good swedish language pack available for WinAmp 5.5+

If anyone knows where to find one; please answer this thread. If there simply isn't, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to make one? I can put some hour aside for this purpose.. =)

Thanks in advance!
  • CraigF
    Passionately Apathetic
    Administrator
    • May 2000

After the release of 5.5, there will be details coming out on how to create language packs with the improved methods coming into that release. It's very unlikely that it will be before then due to time/resource constraints.

The general advice at the moment is hold fire and wait until after 5.5 comes out, then more details will be available.

Comment

• Znyper2
      • Nov 2006

Okay, Thanks!

I'll just have to wait, then...

Comment

• Benski
        Ben Allison
        Former Winamp Developer
        • Jan 2005

You can help out by joining the Winamp translation mailing list:

Also see here for info about the Winamp Translations site

Comment

• Znyper2
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Benski:
          You can help out by joining the Winamp translation mailing list.
          Kewl.

Done!

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

oh noes, the secret is out you'll want to wait until 5.5 is released either way before asking for anything real to play with in the form of a example language pack...

-daz
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• kzuse
              • Oct 2005

The tree biggest mistakes of the german translation are corrected in this file:

English -> Wrong Translation -> My New Translation

Browser -> Webbläsare -> Browser
              (Webbläsare is not a word. It would sound like "Webblowariy" or something in English)

EasyMove -> Titelinfo bearbeiten (actually means "Edit title info") -> EasyMove

Media Library -> Medienbiblioteket -> Medienbibliothek

Visualization -> Visualisiering -> Visualisierung

Format Converter -> Formatlpnvertierer -> Formatkonvertierer (obviously a typo, look at your keyboard lp <-> ko)

"Reihenfolge von rechts nach links erzwingen" replaced by "Reihenfolge von links nach rechts erzwingen" as they translated it both as "von rechts nach links" ("from right to left") in the Playlist options.

Use the new file if you want. (Did this in 5 min, because I did not want to wait for a new release where these errors will - hopefully - be finished )

Best regards,
              kzuse

Comment

• DrO
                • Sep 2003

well as you've not posted the fixes to the correct place they won't be fixed for the next version. people are failing to follow instructions on reporting issues with the language packs so i'm going to be strict in what is passed onto be fixed - i've got more than enough to do still without having to waste time reposting issues for internal logging. this is why there's a proper mailing list for reporting of the issues.

-daz

Comment

• E-Trance
                  • Oct 2005

There are just simple PE-files with resources from DLLs and EXE with .lng extension. All these files are in .wlz archive that is of ZIP-format and can be opened with any ZIP-archiver.

Comment

• DrO
                    • Sep 2003

yes, that's the main basis of the language pack format (though there's some strings/resources which shouldn't be touched otherwise it'll break the work that i did to make things more resiliant to resource changes) which is detailed in the mailing list

-daz

Comment

• kzuse
                      • Oct 2005

OK I did it first for myself, because I couldn't stand it to have to look at these "words" I don't know how to use the mailing list. Maybe I'm too silly... But as I know how to use the forum (hehe ^^) I just posted it here.

But now... at last, I subscribed the mailing list. Don't know how to post a file there, but maybe I'll find out.

Best regards,
                      kzuse

Comment

• Koopatrooper
                        16-Bit Moderator
                        • Apr 2004

I was working on a German language file for a while. Real life made it impossible to finsih the pack until now. I'll finish my German language pack as soon as possible. I completly disagree with the bundled language file.

There are tons of typos, some translations are simply wrong and make no sense, some parts are still English and some text isn't viewable, because there is not enough space..

If someone is interested in my language pack, feel free to contact me.

I'll release it on Winamp.com as soon as I've finished it.

-Koopa
                        My Winamp Info Report | My Winamp Backup Log | My WACUP Info Report

Own Projects: | Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack v3.5.3 | Winamp Backup Tool v3.6.0 | >> Winamp Info Tool v6.1.0 << |
                        German Translations: | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei v5.66 | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei Plus Version 5.666
                        Useful Winamp Plug-ins: | SNESAmp | 64th Note | NotSo FatSo | Highly Experimental PSF Player | Yar Matey! Playlist Copier v1.12 |

Comment

• kzuse
                          • Oct 2005

Oh, that sounds great. I fully trust in you as a German native speaker and just wait until your language pack is released. A Big thank you in advance.

I also hope that it'll be included with one of the next official Winamp releases... the current one is...awful

|<zuse

PS: Just one more thing... how did you translate "Refine:" to fit it into the space? The original "Verfeinern:" is too long, I named it "Feiner:" but it is sub-optimal... for the button on the right of the refine field, I suggest changing from "Verfeinerung leeren" to just "leeren"... Just some suggestions apart from the obvious ones above...^^

Comment

• DrO
                            • Sep 2003

this is why we want people to mail to the translation list what needs to be fixed (if need be with examples/pre-done fixes on specific parts) so we can get the official ones properly sorted. but i just don't know why i'm bothering since no one's bothering to listen to me (i just want to ensure that what's pushed out as official is the best we can do *shrugs*)

-daz

Comment

• Koopatrooper
                              16-Bit Moderator
                              • Apr 2004

Thanks for your trust.

I already did most parts of the Winamp installer translation, this is the reason, why some things in the installer are translated like Global Hotkeys (Globale Tastenkürzel) but are still English in Winamp.

There are many possibilities to translate "Refine", one simple way is to enlarge the size, so that "Verfeinern" should get enough space.

DrO: with all respect, but I simply have no time to discuss any translation issue via the mailing list, it's more simple to finish my own language pack and make it aviable at winamp.com.

Most parts of the translation look like a Babelfish translation, how can I discuss issues with people, who don't speak German?

Nobody asked a German member of the betalist, if the translation is ok, or not. It was a big surprise for me that they've bundled language packs, without any testing.

They've recycled my installer translation, but my installer translation doesn't fit with the Winamp translation (if you can call this a translation).

It simply sucks, a community driven translation would be the better choice and for a paid AOL team, this translation is just a shame.
                              My Winamp Info Report | My Winamp Backup Log | My WACUP Info Report

Own Projects: | Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack v3.5.3 | Winamp Backup Tool v3.6.0 | >> Winamp Info Tool v6.1.0 << |
                              German Translations: | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei v5.66 | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei Plus Version 5.666
                              Useful Winamp Plug-ins: | SNESAmp | 64th Note | NotSo FatSo | Highly Experimental PSF Player | Yar Matey! Playlist Copier v1.12 |

Comment

Working...
                              X