• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tohno_Neil
    • Aug 2013

Hotkeys won't work.(problem)

Winamp 5.666.

It too hard to describe how it happened,but it happened.

Bugs?

Ctrl+V (Always happen)

Z X C V B (Sometimes)

When I restart winamp,there's no problem.
    winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

List of Winamp Input Plug-Ins (Lossless audio codecs)
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

you'd need to provide http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins (though it's probably something else interfering with things like keyboard drivers or other software which is injecting itself into Winamp / other processes [as nVidia caused ~a decade ago]).
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
      • Aug 2013

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
      you'd need to provide http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins (though it's probably something else interfering with things like keyboard drivers or other software which is injecting itself into Winamp / other processes [as nVidia caused ~a decade ago]).
      I guess there is no uesful information include in this Report.

my Laptop - HP g4-1060tx

Computer:
      Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
      Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
      OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
      DirectX DirectX 11.1

Motherboard:
      CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core i5-2410M, 2700 MHz (27 x 100)
      Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC
      Motherboard Chipset Intel Cougar Point HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge
      System Memory 4043 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
      DIMM1: SK Hynix HMT125S6BFR8C-H9 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 380 MHz)
      DIMM3: Elpida EBJ21UE8BFU1-DJ-F 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (10-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 380 MHz)
      BIOS Type Insyde (01/24/2013)

Display:
      Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
      Video Adapter Radeon (TM) HD 6470M (1 GB)
      3D Accelerator AMD Radeon HD 6470M (Seymour)
      3D Accelerator Intel HD Graphics 3000
      Monitor AU Optronics B140XW01 V8 [14" LCD]
      Attached Files
      winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

you have a lot of 3rd party plug-ins (input, general and ml) so any of them could be responsible.

so as a start, you should make sure that you're using current versions and if that doesn't help, run Winamp in it's "safe mode" to see if that helps.

also I don't recognise the modern skin that you're using and would suggest trying a different skin (one of the official ones) to see if that makes a difference or not (as modern skins can mess with the handling of hotkeys and could be a skin related bug).

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
          • Aug 2013

also I don't recognise the modern skin that you're using and would suggest trying a different skin (one of the official ones) to see if that makes a difference or not (as modern skins can mess with the handling of hotkeys and could be a skin related bug).
          used skin : gaia_trinity_v2 (Original graphics and idea is from XeroTrinity, Victhor fixed lots of stuff)

The skin original format is .zip file,I just unzip it,and zip it,that cause the problem?

Other question : "24 Bit Output"? When I palyback .flac file(16bit ,44.1 KHz),
          why the ds_out plug-in show Output format is 24 Bit ?
          winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

how the skin is loaded is not an issue, it's more what the skin might be doing which might be the issue (as modern skins can do a lot more and so can lead to weird issues). hence the suggestion of trying one of the official skins which are better known for how they work.

if you set 24-bit output, then that's what Winamp is going to try to provide. even if the input media is not 24-bit and so it gets up-sampled to become 24-bit (which doesn't affect the audio as you're not adding anything to the data). but if you're primarily playing media that is only 16-bit, having Winamp run in 24-bit mode is not going to magically improve the audio quality.

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
              • Aug 2013

how the skin is loaded is not an issue, it's more what the skin might be doing which might be the issue (as modern skins can do a lot more and so can lead to weird issues). hence the suggestion of trying one of the official skins which are better known for how they work.
              There is the report:

if you set 24-bit output, then that's what Winamp is going to try to provide. even if the input media is not 24-bit and so it gets up-sampled to become 24-bit (which doesn't affect the audio as you're not adding anything to the data). but if you're primarily playing media that is only 16-bit, having Winamp run in 24-bit mode is not going to magically improve the audio quality.

If I turn off the 24-bit output,and palyback media file(24bit ,48 KHz),
              then winamp will down-sampled to become 16bit/44.1 KHz?
              Attached Files
              winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

Comment

• DrO
                • Sep 2003

i don't need to see a new report if you've only changed the skin. you need to do what I've said (plug-in updates, run in safe mode, etc) and see if that helps with the issue that you're having (which I cannot replicate).

yes it will most likely down-sample. I don't know what media you have or why you've decided to enable 24-bit output. if you have media that is 24-bit then enable the option, otherwise it adds no benefit if the media is already 16-bit.

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
                  • Aug 2013

i don't need to see a new report if you've only changed the skin. you need to do what I've said (plug-in updates, run in safe mode, etc) and see if that helps with the issue that you're having (which I cannot replicate).
                  plug-in updates?--they all are the lastest version.

safe mode?--Compatible Mode? May be helpful.

yes it will most likely down-sample. I don't know what media you have or why you've decided to enable 24-bit output. if you have media that is 24-bit then enable the option, otherwise it adds no benefit if the media is already 16-bit.
                  Those operations is so verbose!
                  I am too busy to do this:
                  If I turn off the 24-bit output,and I playback the .ape file (16bit ,44.1 KHz);
                  If I wanna playback the .ape file (hires,26bit ,48 KHz),AND I NEED go to the option, turn on the 24-bit output.

Like this:

Where is the problem?

Why winamp can't do this: Palyback same as the original file really are!
                  winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

Comment

• Aminifu
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
                    Why winamp can't do this: Palyback same as the original file really are! [/SIZE]
                    Winamp and Windows are not currently designed to automatically change to correctly handle bit depth and frequency sampling rate changes during playback. In the past most files were (and many still are) encoded at 16 bit, 44100 Hz. Since this is currently changing, I expect Windows (and Winamp) will be upgraded to handle this in the future.

I suggest you setup Windows (e.g. for 24 bit, 96000 Hz) and Winamp (i.e. for 24 bit) for the highest values any of your files are encoded at. Winamp and Windows will then upsample as necessary when the files that are encoded with lower values are played. The playback of upsampled files will not sound better or worse than when the playback is at the correct encoded settings. Of course, your sound hardware must also be able to handle the bit depth and frequency sampling rate. Yours can handle up to 24 bit, 192000 Hz. My old sound card can only handle up to 24 bit, 96000 Hz.

Winamp and Windows will also downsample files to match what the settings are (i.e. when you play a file that is encoded at higher values than what is setup). You may be able to hear a difference when a file is downsampled.

Finally, some DSP plug-ins do not handle 24 bit files and/or high sampling rates correctly. If the ones you're using have this problem, then you will need to downsample your files encoded with high values or find other DSP plug-ins.

These comments are for music files. Video files with multichannel (i.e. 6 channels or more) and/or high bit depth and frequency sampling sound tracks are a different problem. But there are workarounds for them too.
                    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
                      • Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                      I suggest you setup Windows (e.g. for 24 bit, 96000 Hz) and Winamp (i.e. for 24 bit) for the highest values any of your files are encoded at. Winamp and Windows will upsample as necessary when the files that are encoded with lower values are played. The playback of upsampled files will not sound better or worse than when the playback is at the correct encoded settings.

Winamp and Windows will also downsample files to match what the settings are (i.e. you play a file that is encoded at higher values than what is setup). You may be able to hear a difference when a file is downsampled.
                      high-resample

What is Winamp? Why is Winamp? How is Winamp? All these burning questions and issues discussed within.

You say,IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA!

When turn on Winamp 24bit output:
                      Original file (16bit,44.1k/Hz) → Winamp output (24bit,44.1k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)
                      or
                      Original file (24bit,48k/Hz) → winamp output (24bit,48k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)

When turn off winamp 24bit output:
                      Original file (16bit,44.1k/Hz) → Winamp output (16bit,44.1k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)
                      or
                      Original file (16bit,48k/Hz) → winamp output (16bit,48k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)

Finally, some DSP plug-ins do not handle 24 bit files and/or high sampling rates correctly. If the ones you're using have this problem, then you will need to downsample your files encoded with high values or find other DSP plug-ins.
                      I JUST USE VST,as report said.

VST IS THE BEST,support even 64bit,192k/Hz pcm.
                      winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

That post you linked to doesn't talk about bit depth and sampling rates, other than express my wish that higher values be supported going forward. I have not seen were upsampling hurts anything, except that some DSP plug-ins don't like it. Your report says that you are not using the DSPs you have installed. If you do decide to use either of them and they have this problem, then my comment in the prior post applies.

Like I (and DrO) said, Winamp will upsample/downsample the bit depth when told to, as necessary. It passes thru whatever the sampling rate the file is encoded at. Windows will upsample/downsample the bit depth and/or sampling rate to match what it is set for (in the control panel utility you provided the screenshot of), as necessary.

Downsampling may degrade the music quality, that's why I suggest setting up the applicable settings in both Winamp and Windows for the highest values your music is encoded at.

Even though VST supports 64 bit depth, your sound hardware doesn't support 64 bit (according to that same screenshot), so Windows will downsample that to 24 bit if 24 bit, 192000 Hz is selected (the highest available).

Comment

• DrO
                          • Sep 2003

If I wanna playback the .ape file (hires,26bit ,48 KHz),AND I NEED go to the option, turn on the 24-bit output.
                          then leave the option on if it works for you!

if it plays then fine. if it doesn't, change it or get an updated in_ape (as that's 3rd party) to fix the issue.

Winamp will try to play it correctly, but it's not always down to Winamp how that audio actually gets played.

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
                            • Aug 2013

I have not seen were upsampling hurts anything
                            Upsample/downsample will hurt Sound Quality,and twice resample will get worse result than once,
                            just like I say :

"When turn on Winamp 24bit output:
                            Original file (16bit,44.1k/Hz) → Winamp output (24bit,44.1k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)
                            or
                            Original file (24bit,48k/Hz) → winamp output (24bit,48k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)"

Other questions,Windows direct sound resample method always get good job done?

And why winamp can't do this: high-resample
                            Original file (24bit,192k/Hz) → winamp output (24bit,192k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,192k/Hz)
                            Original file (24bit,96k/Hz) → winamp output (24bit,192k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,192k/Hz)
                            Original file (24bit,48k/Hz) → winamp output (24bit,192k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,192k/Hz)
                            Original file (16bit,44.1k/Hz) → Winamp output (24bit,192k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,192k/Hz)

then leave the option on if it works for you!

if it plays then fine. if it doesn't, change it or get an updated in_ape (as that's 3rd party) to fix the issue.

Winamp will try to play it correctly, but it's not always down to Winamp how that audio actually gets played.
                            In_ape Plug-in is not important there.
                            winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

Comment

• Aminifu
                              Forum King
                              • Aug 2011

Upsample/downsample will hurt sound quality,and twice resample will get worse result than once,
                              just like I say :

"When turn on Winamp 24bit output:
                              or
                              Original file (24bit,48k/Hz) → winamp output (24bit,48k/Hz) → Windows output (24bit,96k/Hz)"
                              I agree that you don't want Winamp and Windows to both resample the same thing. Since you hear a difference when upsampling, then you need to manually set both Winamp and Windows to match the original files as closely as possible (e.g. original file is 16 bit, 44100 Hz, then disable Winamp's 24 bit output and set Windows to 16 bit, 44100 Hz or if original file is 24 bit, 48000 Hz, then enable Winamp's 24 bit output and set Windows to 24 bit, 48000 Hz.) Windows will not resample the bit depth or the sample frequency when they are set to match the original file's values and Winamp outputs them correctly.

To reduce the need to keep changing the setups, group the files with the same values together (with playlists). This is the best you can do, for now.

If you're looking for a bit-perfect reproduction of the original file, then you should probably disable Replay Gain and the Winamp equalizer.

Comment

Working...
                              X