X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHRIRAAM
    • Apr 2014

Dear Winamp Manager,

Consider my suggestion You can design virtual Guitars, Drums, Piano,Tabla, and musical

Keyboard as to play via online. Like graphic equalizers, onscreen Keyboards you can also

bring new ideas where winamp can reach everyone. This not only for desktop users

but also for Android and whats app users. I expecting winamp too....

Comment

• Aminifu
      Forum King
      • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by SHRIRAAM View Post
      I am installed more no.of older winamp in my PC. Winamp 0.92 refusing to work

kindly tell me what technical problem is and remedy for that!

Thank you
      Technology has moved on. The Windows version and hardware that Winamp 0.92 ran on is obsolete. The remedy___ find some of that old gear that is still working or upgrade to the latest version of Winamp (if your current hardware and Windows version is less than 7 years old).

Optical disks and players (CD and DVD) are also nearing the end of their lifespan. The future is in streaming (downloading digital data from cable and satellite). There is talk of a new optical format and device for storing very large amounts of data (not single albums or movies).
      Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
      Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Mr.Henky
        • Sep 2009

Originally Posted by SHRIRAAM View Post
        Dear Winamp Manager

My name is Shriraam.S logged as a new member in Winamp forum. I would like to give some

new ideas related to winamp. After Winamp 5.666 AOL quits further versions I know. But we

can bring new vertical in future. The future Winamp should run also with (MPEG 7)

Audio and video components also to support 3D Graphical visualization (Virtual on screen 3D

movies) (i.e.) 3D films can run through Winamp with Real effect.

Next Winamp media player for DVD players. this idea no one tried like in computers and

mobile phones Winamp can installed in DVD players where instead of key board and mouse

the Remote can used to install that software.That will be a new software installing through

DVD.So a new software needs to be designed exclusively for DVD player. Then people can

see Winamp in TV also....

I am installed more no.of older winamp in my PC. Winamp 0.92 refusing to work

kindly tell me what technical problem is and remedy for that!

Thank you
        Wut?

Comment

• ChiggyChiggy
          • Jan 2014

Dudes theres one thing that frightens the crap out me about what ever future release of Winamp, will the future versions of Winamp that use FreeDB instead of CDDB be as competent as the ones that used Gracenote, or would it basically be back to the days of having to do your own tagging? CDDB manages to detect things so perfectly most of the time its almost scary (say, a file with no tags or info to relate it to the song at all will 80% of the time get its tags right).

Winamp's metadata looker is the only one that i know of thats worth even mentioning about because its useable...not to mention there isnt almost any other of its class (except 2 other shareware applications that dont even work well), and theres MediaMonekeys tagger thats depressing to use to say the least. Minus the fact that it crashes on some files and doesnt have the option to give you multiple options, its almost perfect, and if it was a separate application if buy it in a heartbeat.

When and if the next future version of Winamp is released, will the current versions that use Gracenote stop working? Will they go the same way the "Now playing" page of Winamp has gone?

Before knowing about Winamps tagger i didnt bother to use a powerful media player like Winamp because my files had no tags and it would look like a heap of mess, so i used to stick with a player called AIMP3 since its media library uses the file name, but after Winamp whipped 80% of my library back to shape i dont think i could ever even think of going back to something so basic.
          *If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
          *To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
          *If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

the aim is to make everything work as feature complete as before (or to resolve the issues with the prior implementations where possible). as a Musicbrainz based setup is what is being considered and that you can still override the automatic information obtained (under the existing setup and the new setup), it shouldn't be something to worry about.

as for what will happen to old versions using the Gracenote implementation, it's unclear when those will stop working. as it's usage had been licensed upto 2015 iirc, but as that's an agreement between AOL and Gracenote, if it's maintained until then is not under our control and isn't something that will be maintained (as i've mentioned previously).

so potentially it'll stop working on old clients when the allowed access expires (when that'll be its really not known), by which time there should be a new Winamp client available with comparable / improved functionality in that area.

and Winamp's implementation also crashes (not for everyone, but enough to be the top crash issue that comes through) as we found out too late that the Gracenote SDK we were using went end of life (i.e. no fix available) and without a re-write wouldn't be able to use the newer SDK they have which does resolve the crash issue. which is why completely changing the service used is better in the long run when a re-write was needed even if Gracenote was going to be kept.

as for the now playing page (and most of the other online services), it will come back (though some of the other pages may not), but there's a lot of things that need to be decided on, designed and obtained. though am somewhat surprised to see a mention to now playing when the general view on feedback is that people don't like it, heh.
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• Aminifu
              Forum King
              • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
              as for the now playing page (and most of the other online services), it will come back (though some of the other pages may not), but there's a lot of things that need to be decided on, designed and obtained. though am somewhat surprised to see a mention to now playing when the general view on feedback is that people don't like it, heh.
              What's not to like? It and the show info panel (which uses a little screen space) are useful even if every possible artist is not supported. The show info panel can be turned off and no one is forced to use the now playing page, so I don't understand the negativity.

Comment

• ChiggyChiggy
                • Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                What's not to like? It and the show info panel (which uses a little screen space) are useful even if every possible artist is not supported. The show info panel can be turned off and no one is forced to use the now playing page, so I don't understand the negativity.
                I never actually used the "now playing" feature :P I just noticed that its dead, i may have used it back when i first ever tried winamp in around ~2009

Speaking of the Info panel..... where is it? When i first ever used Winamp way back when i remember it was there always, and it made me discover more bands when it used to display the wrong artist info (hehe) was it removed or..?
                *If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
                *To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
                *If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives

Comment

• Aminifu
                  Forum King
                  • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
                  Speaking of the Info panel..... where is it? When i first ever used Winamp way back when i remember it was there always, and it made me discover more bands when it used to display the wrong artist info (hehe) was it removed or..?
                  That feature is not working at the moment. It is enabled/disabled on the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Library - Options tab, under the Library Display Settings. After this option is enabled, then on the media and album views in the media library there is a show/hide info button in the bottom right corner

Comment

• DrO
                    • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                    the info panel wasn't too bad and had its merit (which was force disabled with 5.66x), but the now playing node was really just a way to drive site and ad traffic and never felt integrated making it a jarring experience imho (and when it had a phase of playing audio ads cemented my dislike of it).

if anything it'd be better as a separate window / area than a node in the library which prevents access to the local library or other aspects e.g. like the file info area of the bento skins (could even be put in the area where artwork can be shown below the playlist editor, though I suspect that is a bit cPro like).

Comment

• Aminifu
                      Forum King
                      • Aug 2011

True, the now playing feature detracted from listening to the song. For me, it was interesting from time to time to view the associated content. It was quicker than using an external browser to search for similar content. I viewed the feature as a necessary monetizing item.

I'm also not fond of ads that want to talk to me. Fortunately most of those I run across have a volume control.

Comment

• Victhor
                        Late skinner & Moderator
                        • May 2003

Totally agree, never switched on that info panel but always felt a bit less intrusive and more integrated than Now playing (which I would use if it would have waaaay more info -sort of a live wiki-, but I know that's a use only I would use..)
                        · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• ElliottB1
                          • Apr 2014

Originally Posted by mwalden View Post
                          What Milkdrop website? Please provide URL.

Comment

• DrO
                            • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
                            there seems to be a link on geisswerks (though it appears to be 5.66 and not 5.666).
                            and so is not a recommended version to install. only what is suggested in the second post of this thread is what should be installed.

Comment

• klompklump
                              • Apr 2014

It would be great if Winamp makes a Windows Phone app. I would loooove that!

Comment

• xfullmetal17
                                • Nov 2013

Depends on if Microsoft allows it... Part of the reason the Android app works is the openness of the platform. If you don't like the stock version of some app, there's almost certainly going to be an alternative you can use instead. (plus Google doesn't charge up the a** just to have apps on their store).

edit: I keep clicking artist/title/album in the Now Playing section expecting it to jump to the appropriate song/artist/album in my library. =/ (unless there's a setting I missed that allows that).

Comment

Working...
                                X