• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shormic
    • Jul 2009

Add Media To Library

Greetings.

I have been searching the forum and couldn't find any similar problem so I'm creating a new topic.

I just upgraded to Winamp 5.56

However, I can't add media to library

Everytime I click FILE --> Add Media To Library... , Nothing happens, I tried reinstalling but it didn't help.

Thanks in advance.
  • Danelaw
    • Jul 2007

I'm having exactly the same problem.. I avoided updating for a long time.. but now with 5.56, my media library was flushed to 0, and i cant add new media to the library. sometimes it crashes, but most of the time nothing happens at all..

Im using winamp pro btw.

Comment

• copykat
      • Mar 2005

Any feedback on this?
      I recently reinstalled my OS, and I am having similar problems with pro.
      Any new mp3s are not added to the library, even when I manually browse to the folder.
      The only way I can add the tracks is to use the 'Play Folder' then highlight all the tracks in the play list and using 'Send To:' - 'Add to local media'.

Anyone help at all?

Comment

• rick7
        • Nov 2008

I am having the same problem. Does there need to be an .M3U file in the folder for 'Add Media to Library' to work? I have five files in this folder, two pairs of MP3/MPU files and one lone MP3. When I do File | Add Media to Library it seems to do nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I don't quite get the workaround mentioned above.

Comment

• rokosz1
          • Jul 2009

You guys get farther than I...

My Library button in the library (5.56) doesn't have the option for "add media..." only imnports and exports. The imports bring nothing in.

If I r-click on an entry in the playlist editor the only option is to "enqueue in winamp" huh?

Anybody know what is wrong here if anything? Could this be a function of the free download version (hobbled?)

I'm looking for an alt to Itunes, have used wa for years and would be willing to pay for pro if this issue can be resolved _and_ it has another feature I'm looking for which I won't belabor here.

thanks, b

Comment

• rick7
            • Nov 2008

Re: Add Media to Library not working

Frustrating, isn't it? "Add Media to Library" must be working for somebody.

I think it worked for me once or twice at some point.

From what I've surmised over the last year of using Winamp and reading posts here, the paid version has NO bugs fixed that exist in the free version; it only "adds features" rather than fixing bugs. Go figure.

Could someone help me with something: my fonts are screwy and I can't read the full text of the checkbox option in the Add Media to Library dialog (just to the left of the Add button). Something about "Scan folder in ..."?

Originally posted by rokosz1
            My Library button in the library (5.56) doesn't have the option for "add media..." only imnports and exports. The imports bring nothing in.

If I r-click on an entry in the playlist editor the only option is to "enqueue in winamp" huh?

Anybody know what is wrong here if anything? Could this be a function of the free download version (hobbled?)

I'm looking for an alt to Itunes, have used wa for years and would be willing to pay for pro if this issue can be resolved _and_ it has another feature I'm looking for which I won't belabor here.

thanks, b

Comment

• DJ Egg
              Spectral Techorator
              • Jun 2000

FAQ -> Info required (ignore at your own peril)

1. Attach your "List Of Plugins"

Sticking a "HijackThis log" inside the same zip as the attached "List of Plugins" might also prove useful...

@rokosz1
              Winamp 5.56 isn't supported. Upgrade to 5.571.
              If there's no "Add Media to Library" item in the "Library" button menu, then this means that ml_local.dll isn't present, and the only way that could happen is if a) "Local Media" was unchecked under the "Core Media Library Components" section under "Winamp Library" on the "Choose Components" page of the Installer Options, or b) ml_local.dll has been deleted.

@rick7
              It says "Scan folder in background".
              Also, Winamp Full (free version) and Pro are exactly the same.
              You can even enter the Pro reg key into the free version to unlock the Pro features
              (MPEG-4 video decoding, MP3 & Hi-Bitrate AAC+ Encoding, Faster ripping & burning).
              The only difference between the two installers is that the Pro one prompts for the reg key.

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• copykat
                • Mar 2005

Hi DJ Egg -
                I have listed relevant info below, and have also attached the required logs.
                Many thanks for helping me with this - it has proved most frustrating.

SYSTEM SPEC:

Abit IP35 Dark Raider LGA775 Quad Core
                Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95w 2.4Ghz SLACR G0
                4 x OCZ 1Gb Vista Upgrade Edition DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz 50505015 Copper
                Inno3D GeForce 8800 GT Overclocked Edition
                NEC Optiarc AD-7173A-0B Black 18x DVD ±RW/RAM DL LabelFlash
                OCZ 600W with 120mm Fan GameXStream Power Supply
                Antec Nine Hundred Gaming case
                Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

DXDiag - in zip
                Plugins - in zip
                HJT - in zip

Winamp 5.571 Pro

Comment

• rick7
                  • Nov 2008

Oh brother -- egg on my face: my new MP3's had the wrong "Artist" tag on them, so they were getting added to a different folder than where I expected to see them. THAT'S why "Add Media to Library" didn't seem to work. It was working fine all along; my thinking wasn't. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• rokosz1
                    • Jul 2009

my idiocy...

is exceeded only by my ignorance.

thanks for clear-up on the Core media Library option.

yes, wa now looks as it should/was expected to.

But still a question and wish, I think, unfulfilled:

as much as itunz can be loathed -- it handled different audio types with relative aplomb. .wavs were no prob.
                    I've got a lot of wavs.

as we speak i'm copying/transferring 120GB of mp3, ape, wav etc. to a 30gb ipod.

It appears to be moving "alphabetically" and picking things somewhat randomly (A big A+ there if true) -- but
                    it appears to be only selecting mp3 -- no other types have been selected

so the questions are: will wa select _only_ randomly? or is there an option for alerting:
                    1) too much to force onto that device continue?
                    2) you want a random selection?
                    3) what types to sync/randomly select?

I'm only at 15% as we speak and it appears to be about 50% through the library. Any insights into how the random (if it is one) algorithm will process a library/list?

fingers crossed, B

Comment

• copykat
                      • Mar 2005

DJ Egg - any chance you could offer me advice (see above)

Comment

• DJ Egg
                        Spectral Techorator
                        • Jun 2000

Hi

Alas, I don't have an iPod personally,
                        so I've never tested the iPod support/features personally
                        and tbph, don't really know too much about it.

Maybe there's some option in:
                        Winamp -> Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Media Library -> Portables -> iPod -> Sync or Advanced tabs?
                        (be sure to scroll all the way down the Sync tab for all options)

Other than that, maybe someone else can offer some advice...? Anyone?

Comment

• copykat
                          • Mar 2005

Sorry DJ Egg - my question was a couple above the ipod one.
                          You asked me to add spec, paste Hijack this and attach logs.
                          I have done so....but heard notjhing back.
                          I didn't want to start a new thread, as this one was already in play.

I am still unable to add media, and it has worked fine for the last 5 years.

Comment

• DJ Egg
                            Spectral Techorator
                            • Jun 2000

Oops, sorry about that.

I'm not rightly sure, to be honest.

I noticed that nscrt.dll is listed as loaded in your list of plugins,
                            though I'm not sure what's calling it.

nscrt.dll was our old runtime library from 5.56 and earlier,
                            but it's no longer used or shipped with 5.571.
                            See here for info:
                            Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

Maybe there's some old component present...?
                            All your plugins are the latest versions.
                            The only ones listed that aren't included with 5.571 are Dropbox (which was in 5.55-5.56) and One For Nunz,
                            and as far as I know, neither of those are nscrt.dll-dependent.

Maybe one of the dll's in the Winamp root folder or .w5s files in the Winamp\System folder are calling nscrt.dll, and if so, then this means that they're not the latest 5.571 version(s).

It's unlikely to be a write-permissions issue with any of the files in:
                            C:\Users\Jay\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml
                            because then you wouldn't be able to add files to the library via rt-click -> Send To either.

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is a clean install :-(
                            Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

Comment

• rick7
                              • Nov 2008

Often I will copy an MP3 by a certain artist into that artist's folder which is one of my 'watch folders'. I then manually do 'Add Media to Library'. In Media Library I then click on Audio on the left column and look at all the tunes in that artist's folder in hopes of seeing my added tune in the song pane. I notice it's usually not there and I've assumed it's because Winamp doesn't do an automatic refresh of the display after adding media to the library?

If I then click on another item in the left column (say, 'Video') and then come back to Audio, I see the tune is now there.

Am I doing something wrong in this process? Is there a way to have Winamp do an automatic refresh so I see my new song in the listing?

Comment

Working...
                              X