View Single Post
Old 4th June 2015, 18:02   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
Well, let me show you.
Did using Winamp's Safe Mode (which disables all 3rd party plug-ins) or changing the UI skin allow the hotkeys to work consistently?

As to the other off topic stuff, the technical details on how Winamp and it's official plug-ins work is discussed elsewhere in these forums. Maybe you have not seen those posts.

In short, the frequency sampling value in a music file is passed on unchanged. The bit depth value output is either a 24 bit or 16 bit value (depending on whether the Playback "Allow 24bit" option is enabled or not). If the bit depth value in a music file has less than the number of bits selected for output, then an appropriate number of zeros are added to the front end of the file's value to make the value look like a 16 or 24 bit number. If the value in a music file has more bits than the number of bits selected, then the appropriate number of bits is dropped from the front end of the file's value. So this form of 'upsampling' will not change the original value, but this form of 'downsampling' will change (truncate) the original value.

This is why allowing Winamp to 'downsample' a music file's bit depth value should be avoided and allowing the value to be 'upsampled' will not change the original value. Other forms of resampling will use math techniques that change the original value when upsampling and downsampling. If a music file is supposed to have a bit depth value larger than 24 bits, then Winamp with it's official plug-ins will not be able to output it correctly. By default, Windows will also not handle such files correctly, so you need to use appropriate sound devices' apps/utilities that will bypass the Windows processing of these files.

Therefore to prevent bit depth and sampling frequency errors, you need to only use music files encoded with the bit depth and sampling frequency values that both your software and hardware can handle. There may already be stuff that can handle changes of these values 'on-the-fly' (i.e. automatically) with or without resampling. I have not heard of any and I assume they would be very expensive if they do exist, especially for high bit depths and/or high sampling frequency values.

As to the equalizers, your report says the Winamp equalizer is enabled with it's limiter turned on. This limiter tries to clip a music file's sound frequency values in any of the frequency bands that could cause distortion (i.e. when processing results in values greater than the variables used to store them can handle), even if the frequency band controls are set to their neutral setting (i.e. no increase or decrease). The equalizer associated with your sound device has it's preamp control (on the far left side) set to lower each sound frequencies output value before applying any changes to the frequency bands (according to your screenshot). So, in your setup, both of these equalizers are able to change a music file's sound frequencies values. If you don't want any possible changes, both of these equalizers should be turned off. The average user is probably best served by using only 1 equalizer or none if they want a bit-perfect reproduction of the original music file.

Finally, all equalizers are not designed to work the same way. One of the main things is that the width of the sound frequency bands can differ (even when they have the same number of bands). The "Flat" preset, in some, means no increases or decreases in the sound frequency bands. In others, the "Flat" preset (at a defined level) means to increase or decrease the values in each frequency band so that they all are set to the same maximum level.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote