• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gilles 123
    • Aug 2006

Files won't show in Winamp after double click / enter

Hello,

I've got this problem since a few days. When I double-click on Windows explorer to open a file in winamp (whatever the file extension: mp3, flac, etc), it opens Winamp but the file is not there. Winamp starts with the playlist or blank, whatever it was last time I closed the software. And also the context menu that usually appeared with a right click on Windows Explorer to choose between "put in the queue after" (I use it in French so I don't know the exact words used in English. In French it said this: "Mettre à la suite dans Winamp"), etc, is also gone.

The problem appeared just after I put a plugin for OGG/Opus in the plugin directory: in_opus_v0.911. Downloaded here on this forum: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=3195208

I was using Winamp 5.666.

I reinstalled it. Problem still there. I installed the new Winamp 5.8 build 3660. Problem still there.
    I removed ALL the software with preferences, settings, ALL. Restarted Windows (Windows 10), reinstalled the software. Fresh start with faactory settings. Nothing worked, the problem is still there!

Maybe it's a problem of compatibility with Windows 10? But there I had no Windows update lately!

Please, help! I use Winamp a lot and there's no other softwares that satisfy me for music.
  • Aminifu
    Forum King
    • Aug 2011

It is possible for entries in the Windows registry to be corrupted. You usually can fix these entries.

You can right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and select the app you want to use to open the file. You should see a list of apps to select from or you can search your drives for the app you want to use. After that, all files with the same extension will use the selected app until you repeat the process and chose another app. Have you tried that?

If that doesn't work, Windows provides other ways to accomplish the same thing. You can do a Google search for information on these other methods.
    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Gilles 123
      • Aug 2006

Hello. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did... I can open the files when I right click and then select "open with Winamp". That works, yes. But when I double clic on the file, it only opens Winamp without the file... Very very strange. On the files properties, it is all set as it should open with Winamp. It opens winamp but the file isn't there. What is this crazy thing? Maybe the registry is corrupt after I copied that dll into the plugin folder. That's the only thing I see because I erased everything in the winamp folder and reinstalled a proper version. How can I fix this registry entries (if the problem is there...)?

As for the menu in the right click to make the files open after the actual playlist playing, on the option it is also set as yes. This thing drives me crazy.

Comment

• ryerman
        Major Dude
        • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by Gilles 123 View Post
        But when I double clic on the file, it only opens Winamp without the file...
        Check this setting:
        Attached Files
        Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• Gilles 123
          • Aug 2006

Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
          Check this setting:
          I tried... not working either :'(

Comment

• Gilles 123
            • Aug 2006

When I right click on a folder, it actually shows the menu with the Winamp options. But not with a file!

See on the screenshots here. Options are correctly set. It must be a problem with the files somewhere. I did not touch anything on Windows, only added that dll plugin...

I just checked the registry to look if there was a trac of this "in_opus" somewhere but I found nothing....
            Attached Files

Comment

• Gilles 123
              • Aug 2006

Files associations in Windows are correct...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Gilles 123
                • Aug 2006

Well... well... Just after my last post with the Windows associations, I clicked on the winamp icon there, on the windows pannel you see on the screenshot and... MIRACLE, everything works again. Apparently it was all set but once I clicked again on the icon it debugged the thing. That is nonsense but as far as it solved the problem... fine.

But as I removed the ogg plugin, I can't play these files anymore. I suppose I have to make a choice. No ogg files in winamp.

Comment

• Aminifu
                  Forum King
                  • Aug 2011

Weird, but all's well that ends well.

Hopefully you can find another ogg plug-in.

Comment

• exerion
                    • Aug 2021

Champion effort, Gilles 123, for ultimately posting the answer to your question.

I had the exact same issue, and it is now solved with exactly the same method.
                    Every setting was correct, but CLICKING AGAIN on the Windows File Associations for WinAmp fixed it. A miracle indeed. :-)

To create the issue, I uninstalled WinAmp 5.8 and installed WinAmp 5.666 so that I could add Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin. (Setting this skin with an analog VU meter, speakers and vinyl record cover has gotten me to fall in love with WinAmp all over again!)

Comment

• Soremmike
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2021

Thanks for this information. Very useful!

Comment

• Brakzias
                        • Oct 2021

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                        It is possible for entries in the Windows registry to be corrupted. You usually can fix these entries.

You can right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and select the app you want to use to open the file. You should see a list of apps to select from or you can search your drives for the app you want to use. After that, all files with the same extension will use the selected app until you repeat the process and chose another app. Have you tried that?

If that doesn't work, Windows provides other ways to accomplish the same thing. You can do a Google search for information on these other methods.
                        I registered just so I could thank you for this info. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why my music would never play when I double clicked it but this fixed the issue completely. Thanks so much man.

Comment

• imakeyouhard
                          • Oct 2021

You saved my Winamp

Just like Brakzias, I registered just to thank you. Man this is a life saver.

Comment

• Aminifu
                            Forum King
                            • Aug 2011

Hi Brakzias and imakeyouhard,

I'm glad the info I provided helped you guys out. I assumed most Windows users knew about this way of associating file types with apps, but I decided to post the info anyway.

Comment

• Fletcher Orderly
                              • Oct 2021

Had all the symptoms described above too. Despite Winamp showing as the default handler in Windows 10, the same issues have plagued me since late 2020. Double clicking on Winamp in the "Default apps" menu resolved the problem immediately. Now all .flac and .mp3 files play instantly just like they used to. Many thanks to every proceeding poster here.

Just like imakeyouhard & Brakzias, I registered here only to Thank You.

20 years after I first started using it, WINAMP *STILL* REALLY WHIPS THE LLAMA'S ASS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X