X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • letter17
    • Jan 2011

We must be idiots / multiple streams

We've been using Icecast for the last year or so for about 40 streams because of the ease of mounting stations w/o having to run a separate instance of each server. Now that this new shoutcast is available, we're trying to figure out how to move things over, but we must not be very smart.

Our stations are either using Winamp, SAM Broadcaster or SOS and encoding to an IP in my server farm on port 8000. One encoder connects fine, but when we try a second, it will not connect. We don't know what we are supposed to change on the encoder end or on the server end. Instructions provided don't explain things very well and what I've found in the forum doesn't speak to what we understand.

Help?
  • jaromanda
    Forum King
    • Jun 2007

You're not idiots

to have multiple streams, I believe you need DNAS 2 to be in "YP2" mode

but that means you can not stream to it using shoutcast 1 protocol, you'd need shoutcast 2 protocol ... I don't think anything except the shoutcast DSP plugin, and the new shoutcast transcoder "speak" shoutcast 2 (for now)
    "If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did

Comment

• letter17
      • Jan 2011

We have YP2 mode turned on, but if we have to use the DSP plugin or have to try to use the transcoder and/or relay, we may be drinking heavily

Comment

• jaromanda
        Forum King
        • Jun 2007

Originally Posted by letter17 View Post
        We have YP2 mode turned on, but if we have to use the DSP plugin or have to try to use the transcoder and/or relay, we may be drinking heavily
        I think you'll have to

maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong

So I did

Comment

• DrO
          • Sep 2003

if the sources aren't v2 compatible (the v2 of the DSP is) then it's likely they are all trying to connect on the same port so only the first one will work - that sounds like the most likely issue though looking in the log files should give a better idea of what is happening when the other sources attempt to connect to the stream.

-daz
          WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• letter17
            • Jan 2011

So the only way to do this is to use a DSP plugin (which I can't do with our software)? Not possible to just use different ports for each stream?

Comment

• DrO
              • Sep 2003

to have the server accept and server multiple streams then the sources connected to the server need to be a compatible v2 source which currently is via the DSP plug-in and sc_trans.

this is because the DNAS is designed to take inputs on a single port but the v2 spec allows for stream ids in the source data which then allows for it to cope with multiple stream inputs. however if the source cannot do this then the legacy mode is used (i.e. server + single source).

otherwise if using other sources (or the DSP / sc_trans in legacy mode) then the server will only accept a single source as that's what the old SCv1 spec only allowed.

-daz

Comment

• letter17
                • Jan 2011

I have no way to use the DSP plug-in with SAM Broadcaster or SOS3 from Spacial Audio. I don't understand a thing about sc_trans to use it either at this point. I just downloaded it and to try to figure out how to use it with 100 streams makes no sense to me.

So unfortunately, I'm either going to have to run 100 instances of the old shoutcast server or continue to use Icecast and get the mobile apps I'm working on to use Icecast instead. Besides, the new server doesn't work on Windows Server 2003, only desktops.

Comment

• DrO
                  • Sep 2003

Besides, the new server doesn't work on Windows Server 2003, only desktops.
                  do you have more details about that please?

i understand that using the Winamp+DSP setup probably isn't going to be viable though maybe those apps you have mentioned have it in the works to support the newer format (i really don't know as i've used SAM once to test something and that was about as far as i got with it so i'm not sure what it can or cannot do).

i can have a look into things a bit more to see if there is anything which can be done to accept older formats as multiple sources (though sounds like you've got a right mix-match of things going on anyway).

-daz

Comment

• letter17
                    • Jan 2011

the apps I'm working with currently only support shoutcast because of the ICY header it sends.

SAM and SOS have a simple encoder. Currently it does not have a Shoutcast 2 option. I've sent email to the developer about adding support to SAM, but I know SOS3 will not be upgraded to include Shoutcast 2. So unfortunately I'm at a dead end there.

As far as the server issue - I tried on several servers and I get "The system cannot execute the specified program."

Comment

• DrO
                      • Sep 2003

As far as the server issue - I tried on several servers and I get "The system cannot execute the specified program."
                      k, i've a feeling that might be down to either an api used (as prevented Win2k to run) or the supporting dlls needed aren't present - am intrigued as i don't have a Server 2003 machine to test on.

will look into things over the next few days if only to definitely confirm it isn't viable with what you have available.

-daz

Comment

• jaromanda
                        Forum King
                        • Jun 2007

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
                        i can have a look into things a bit more to see if there is anything which can be done to accept older formats as multiple sources
                        the main issue (from an outsiders perspective) is that there is no way to specify which stream you are sourcing ... i.e. no "stream ID" as part of the authentication process - which in shoutcast 1 is
                        password\n\n

one way to "overcome" this would be to look for a certain pattern in the password (as that is the first thing sent by older shoutcast sources)
                        for example - number/password where number is the streamid

I've written a DNAS (v1) clone of sorts, and that's how I can handle multiple source streams

So I did

Comment

• DrO
                          • Sep 2003

that could be a viable option, i'm just not too keen on bastardising things though there are plans to make it easier for 3rd party adoption but i don't have much details on that at the moment.

-daz

Comment

• sharijs
                            • Apr 2012

Server 2003 any answers?

Running into the same " system cannot execute" error on server 2003. Any update on what you might have done to get the program running on Server 2003?

Comment

• DrO
                              • Sep 2003

firstly, there is no need to make multiple posts about this including within the same thread and relating to 4 year old versions of the tools (as i've now cleaned up).

the only things which is likely to cause this is by not installing the appropriate redistributable dlls needed for the Windows builds to run as per http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcas...rver_2#Windows

if that doesn't help then as i don't have access to a Win2k3 server there is little that is likely to be done.

-daz

Comment

Working...
                              X