View Single Post
Old 5th May 2003, 20:13   #89
Esotic

Send a message via AIM to Esotic
Bugs

I'll try and fix that bug in the next couple days.

I've been contemplating what new features would best help EMPR and it's users to be more productive. I have some concepts and am throwing them out for discussion and/or feedback (directly to me, if you wish).

1) Variable Modulation Types - Adding selection boxes on the variables form that would specify how you wanted EMPR to modulate a variable. Examples of modulation types would be: Increasing (variable starts at some value within the allowable range and then slowly increases), meandering (modulates randomly near the specified range), cyclic (cycles near the range).

2) Range Options - Checkboxes on a per preset or per variable basis to regulate variables: keeping them stricly within specified ranges, keeping them near specified ranges, keeping them within allowable milkdrop defined, no restrictions, etc.

3) Batching - Providing EMPR with source and destination directories and allowing it to load and randomize current presets in specified manners: changing color settings, adustments to function coefficients, adding and/or deleting lines of code, etc

4) Write to 1 Specified File - Specify an exact filename for EMPR to output to. This would allow you to easily reload the file in milkdrop to evaluate EMPR's effect.

5) Anything You Can Think Of - methods for increasing the quality of the randomly generated presets, the quantity of usable presets per run, and giving you more realtime feedback.

6) Renaming For Order - I wrote a program to randomly copies all MILK files from one directory to another and prepends a number to the filename. My motivation for doing this is that I don't trust the "load random preset" functionality of milkdrop to get even file coverage. It seemed like some presets were getting loaded more often than others. This mechanism forces a "shuffle" mode when you load the newly created files in order.

Sorry that got long-winded, but I wanted to cover all my recent thoughts. I have a big show on May 13th, but plan to jump back on EMPR heavily thereafter (for at least a week). So.... get your feature requests in before then and I'll try to get them all programmed. And be ready to nitpick my programming slackness.

Thank God It's Milkdrop,

-Esotic
esotic@artkolective.com
Esotic is offline   Reply With Quote