View Single Post
Old 11th October 2013, 18:21   #19
fc*uk

Some of this is a little over the top; but some of it is not...

Aminifu: great last few posts. I agree. Now, just exactly does one go about convincing the majority of America that is actually the case!

I did not state this and I know I am technically wrong, but my use of tort reform to fix healthcare is really broad monetary reform across the board, which means it's not really tort reform anymroe.

I believe the government should: subsidize medical school costs; limit reimbursement rates for medical procedures; provide a cap on malpractive lawsuits; possibly even subsudize medical costs or pay for them completely (via various taxes/systems where the rich bear the weight and the poor contribute what they can).

A lot of this is already being done either at home or around the world:

1. In France, the government gives you a test. If you score high enough, you get into their government run medical schools, which are the only medical schools in the country. The cost of medical school is 10 euro a semester. I know this because my wife was an exchange student in France. She has kept close with both the family and their children since that time. Their oldest daughter came to the US to spend three months shadowing my wife in residency so she could figure out what she wanted to do in France. She had been accepted into the program. She said the cost was 10 euro a semester.

2. Limit reimbursement rates. Look north to Canada, where my wife spent a year doing a fellowship. I realize the pitfall here. In Canada physicians are governemnt employees, so the government sets the rate and controls it. Regardless, it's absolute bullshit that private practice physicians in this country can personally pocket close to $60,000 for a procedure, no matter how complicated. Looking closer to home. My wife is a state employee (see below), she does not get reimbursed for the surgeries she does.

3. The great state of FL, in which I reside, has a policy in place. Any state employee has sovereign immunity and can be sued for a maximum amount of $40,000. Yes, my wife is a physician, but she is a physician for the University of FL, which makes her a state employee. Bang. Cap on malpracice lawsuits. People at this hospital never get sued unless they really mess up because it's simply not worth it. Now yes, I realize the negative there is if something goes wrong that costs a life.

4. A. Subsudize medical costs or pay for them completely. Again look to Canada. The government owns and runs it. They set the costs. People are taxed an additioal 8% on anything they purchase; this is where I get my "poor pay what they can and the rich buying the million dollar car bear the weight". Now, I've been told that Canada's system only works because of the size of their population; I'm not sure if I buy that. Your population is larger, so it costs more money but you have more people buying things that can contribute.

B. Doing this would mean more government control. Again, Canada ... if you want to buy an apple, you pay the price of the apple +8% medical tax + Province tax; that tax base goes for anything. If you want fast food: price of meal +8% medical tax + Province tax + 5% bad food tax. Bad food tax? Yep, the government does not want you eating it, so they tax it more. The "bad food tax" extends all the way from any meal obtained while dining out all the way to pop --- even diet. Juice (natural only), fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, and fish about are the only items exempted from the "bad food tax".

I would be for all of that.

But Americans? Well, we want to have our cake and eat it too. Free healthcare with no government control. Free healthcare with no strings attached. It simply can not happen. You just can't have it both ways.

Regarding the pharma industry. Yeah, I hear you. I work in R&D for drug development and know well how much it costs. I don't have an answer there. We want our drugs to be safe and effective. That means clinical trials. When a developmental drug proves to be effective, we still want it to cost the $1.00 it actually costs to manufacture. You can't have it both ways. Average cost of a drug from inception to market is hovering around $15 million anymore. Even at $20, $100, or $400 a pill that is a lot of money to recover. That 15 million is only for clinicals and other stuff the regulatory agencies want; in other words they does not include the cost of your scientists.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote