View Single Post
Old 5th March 2003, 23:20   #26
Jacob Metro

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Metro Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Metro
More Information

More Information about the problem

Attached is a file named Perflogs.ZIP. [I]This is a ZIP file.[/U] (...Entirely unlike the RAR file from my last post...)

This zip file contains quite a few pieces of data:
NSIS20b1.bz2.csv - Counters watching the operation of the program using NSIS vs. 20b1 with bz2 compression.
NSIS198.zlib.csv - Counters watching the operation of the program using NSIS vs. 1.98 with zlib compression.
NSIS20a7.bz2.csv - Counters watching the operation of the program using NSIS vs. 20a7 with bz2 compression.
NSIS20a7.zlib.csv - Counters watching the operation of the program using NSIS vs. 20a7 with zlib compression.
NSIS20a7.zlib.2nd.csv - Counters watching the operation of the program using NSIS vs. 20a7 with zlib compression. (A second run for comparison's sake).
NSIS198.bz2.csv - Counters watching the operation of the program using NSIS vs. 20a7 with zlib compression.
NSISfail.bz2.rtf - System Monitor image showing the last moments of life of NSIS20b1 using bz2 with 786 MB ram (standard).
NSISFAIL2.bz2.rtf - System Monitor image showing the last moments of life of NSIS20b1 using bz2 with 512 MB ram (test).
NSISTest_000013.csv - More counters watching the second fail (above) with 512MB ram.

Okay, it's really late (for me) and my wife is ready to go home. I only have a few minutes to explain my methodology and findings. I really hope a programmer with more experience might be able to interpret (sp) and use this information.

Following kichik's suggestion I tested NSIS1.98, NSIS20a7, and NSIS20b1. The csv's above are the results of these experiments.

I have added another counter since the last post \Objects\Sections to watch the "virtual memory created by a process for storing data" as it changes over the operation of this program. (It doesn't).

What I have found is interesting (to me at least)...

All tested versions of NSIS have this problem when using bz2 compression. For me, I did note an increase of CPU usage from NSIS20b1 (4%-10%) to NSIS198 (46%-78%). All versions appear to fail at 27MB. The "CPU time counter problem" mentioned in the last post dne using ZLIB on any version tested. When avail MBYTES falls to 27MB using BZ2 the compression bombs. I noted that using ZLIB when Avail MBYTES falls to zero the DPC and APC processor interrupts increase (drastically) letting me know that paging is being used.

For a final test I lowered my paging files size to 1.5GB and removed 256K RAM from my PC. I would expect the failure to occur earlier in the process. IT DOES NOT. The system fails at the exact same place, the exact same file and datablock, regardless of the amount of physical RAM in the PC.

Thus the failure is not directly dependant on RAM.

I'm not sure what that means, but...

For what it's worth.

Thanks,
Jacob Metro

P.S. Because of maximum attachment size issues (I will be posting another 7 times to get this material out there for you guys.

P.P.S. I understand and respect the right for rules to exist and the necessity for obedience to law. In that spirit I hereby state "I am not post pumping" per the Post Pumping law
"- If a post is suspected to serve no other purpose than to increase the post count of the poster, then the moderators may, at their discretion, issue a PM to the member in question enquiring about the nature of the post. Posts/Threads that are blatantly post pumping will be removed/locked without recourse to the poster."
Attached Files
File Type: zip zip1.zip (99.5 KB, 236 views)
Jacob Metro is offline   Reply With Quote