• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garetjax
    Candyass
    (Major Dude)
    • Apr 2001

Website Problems

forums are reported as unsafe, constantly make firefox, ie9, chrome all crash. War-arron is reported as untrusted and a distribution site for malware, trojans and etc. What exactly is going on?

What is the appropriate response to this issue? What should be done? I am running my firewall, antivirus and etc. However, being that the site continues to request adobe updates, java running and a script call executing what should be done in order to avoid problems?

Nevermind I was able to search and found that you know about the issue...
    1001skins.net |
    That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk.
  • garetjax
    Candyass
    (Major Dude)
    • Apr 2001

I have found a work around for viewing and using the website without worrying about the issues surrounding continual unsafe notifications, crashes and etc.

Windows uses a HOSTS (located in %systemdrive%/windows/system32/drivers/etc) file to maintain a personal list of web addresses. Any time a request is made for a URL, the HOSTS file will be checked first. If a corresponding address is found you will be directed to that IP without first consulting a DNS Server. The original intent of this file was to define where sites exist;

This is the loopback address for your machine for those cases where an application needs to reference the local machine by IP address- the loopback address will always be valid. This entry should never be changed.

Now lets add an entry to block

127.0.0.1 www.war-arron.com

We are telling our local machine that war-arron actually exists on the local machine. Any request for war-arron will be directed to the local machine and therefore effectively blocked. You could also use the IP of another website if you wanted to be creative.

A HOSTS file entry will disregard the transfer protocol so it isn’t needed.
    1001skins.net |

Comment

• thinktink
      Forum King
      • May 2009

"127.0.0.1 www.war-arron.com" by itself won't work, you need to add "127.0.0.1 war-arron.com" as well.

What's better is to install Spybot S&D and to use FireFox always with NoScript and AdBlock Plus plugins installed and enabled. Hardened internet condom of steal right there.
      | Opus Audio Codec plugins 2.0 | Embedded Album Art | DiskWrite |
      | Save your playlist first! | Live voice-over | X-Fade 2.5 |
      | AterKast (Source DSP) | More of my stuff... |

Comment

• garetjax
        Candyass
        (Major Dude)
        • Apr 2001

Firefox is garbage for me personally...I'd rather shoot my eye out. Adblock is pointless if you run a freeware tool like hostsman. Spyblock is okay but, I hate all the crap it installs and removes. Any browser is only as good as the person using it. Though, I use it ... generally, I only use it when I hit a website that disallows IE9 or other similar services that rely on .net technologies.

And since we are speculating here...I use a hardware firewall, antivirus and sandbox all scripts...but, that doesn't save me from getting disallowed requests from winamp.com.
        1001skins.net |

Comment

• AVlution
          • Jan 2011

Chrome seems to work fine for me, can't believe anyone uses IE still, though to be fair I haven't seen the latest version yet

Comment

• gistbane
            Corporate Drone
            • Mar 2008

The war-arron intrusion on the site was removed and the responsible account suspended early Monday morning. The threat should not be present on the site any longer. Contradictions and berating are welcome!

Thanks!

Comment

• thinktink
              Forum King
              • May 2009

If anybody is still getting the war-arron crap they probably need to clear/clean their browser cache:

Easily clear the cache on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, & iPad While your browser cache usually helps websites load faster, it can sometimes prevent you from seeing the most up-to-date version of a webpage. In some cases, an old or...

...so on and so forth...

[EDIT /]
              P.S.
              I still stand by my Spybot/FF/AdBlock+/NoScript recommendations. No need to mention Firewall/Antivirus, those are shoe-ins. I haven't gotten a virus in 5+ years since this setup.
              | Opus Audio Codec plugins 2.0 | Embedded Album Art | DiskWrite |
              | Save your playlist first! | Live voice-over | X-Fade 2.5 |
              | AterKast (Source DSP) | More of my stuff... |

Comment

• TreborG2
                • Aug 2001

... adblock pointless ... right, just buy the brooklyn bridge already

Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
                Firefox is garbage for me personally...I'd rather shoot my eye out. Adblock is pointless if you run a freeware tool like hostsman.
                1) Hostsman won't block url's with wildcards.
                2) Firefox like all browsers, has its usefulness
                3) Adblock plus, regardless of your persuasion, is a fairly decent start. The fact that it was freely written, and used in FF, Chrome, and finally working with IE ... speaks more volumes to anyone willing to look into and review for themselves, rather than rely on someone simply browser bashing.

Come back to us, the day you can put */ad/* into your hosts file and actually have it *do* something.

Comment

• garetjax
                  Candyass
                  (Major Dude)
                  • Apr 2001

Resurrection....um, yes I now use Hostsman and IE. Have been using this setup since 2011 mar. Use chrome, IE, ff, safari and opera... prefer IE. Firefox is still garbage.... but, I Digress no plugins on any of my browsers and they all work with 0 ads, 0 malware and do not even show links from 'bad' sites.
                  1001skins.net |

Comment

• Aminifu
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
                    ... no plugins on any of my browsers and they all work with 0 ads, 0 malware and do not even show links from 'bad' sites.
                    I find it hard to believe you see 0 ads. Are you just using the Hostman provided lists or do you manually add domains from time to time? Anything else helping with the other stuff, like an AV app or something?

Ads are required to keep the web 'free' (beyond the associated costs of connecting to it) since they help some sites with managing their costs. That said, I don't want to be bombarded with them and I'm more concerned with the malicious stuff. So I use various things (including manually adding some domains to my Hosts file) to limit ads and warn against or block the malware and 'bad' sites. If Hostman works as good as you say, maybe I can remove some stuff and regain the computer resources that they use (and improve my browser performance beyond the acceptable level it has now).

I mostly use a variant of FF and keep IE installed (and used from time to time) since Winamp uses it's engine for web access. I must say that IE v11 is not bad, but it doesn't support some of the FF add-ons I've come to depend on.

PS:
                    Great job you've done with your site update!
                    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• garetjax
                      Candyass
                      (Major Dude)
                      • Apr 2001

Hosts a is a auto updating hosts file . I should of said Firefox is garbage for me...

I subscribe to 3 of the lists ...auto updated hosts file to block malware and malicious ads. There are better ways to do ads than using ad warehouses like commission junction and similar ilk.
                      1001skins.net |

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

I can tolerate ads that stay off to the side and out of my face. I hate those that pop-up or try to talk to me.

A layered approach to prevention and protection has worked well for me. One of the things I use is PeerBlock. It was recently updated after a long dry spell. It uses lists provided by IBlockList (which are auto-updated) and I subscribe to a few of them. The servers/domains that push obnoxious ads which get pass PeerBlock, I add to my Hosts file (e.g. several of the DoubleClick ad servers).

Sometimes the IBlockList lists get a little over zealous and I have to move sites I want to use to PeerBlock's exclusion list or temporarily turn PeerBlock off.

I had also been using the AdBlock Plus add-on with my browser, but some sites now refuse to work when it is detected or put up a pop-up banner requesting it be turned off (warning that the site's 'experience' may be degraded). I would laugh at such warnings, but sometimes the banner covered some of the page's content (which of course degraded the experience).
                        Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                        Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
                        X