Damn! I'd NEVER thought that I'd see winamp rise again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cutterjohn
    • Apr 2019

Damn! I'd NEVER thought that I'd see winamp rise again!

...and it's a damned well good feeling!
  • cutterjohn
    • Apr 2019

..and wel fsckall I love winamp player and was NEVER happy about replacements... so again

DAMN! Winamp rising from the dead! (or half living!)

Comment

• gaekwad2
      Foorum King
      • Jul 2003

Who's going to tell him?

Comment

• NJK
        FRISIAN
        • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
        Who's going to tell him?
        go ahead.
        latest version of Winamp
        DSP Plug V2.41
        Language Packs

Comment

• cutterjohn
          • Apr 2019

spill

Comment

• cutterjohn
            • Apr 2019

crap no edit, so what's the deal... rerelease of same binaries? (I didn't check version numbers FFS) and you guys left cryptic messages... way past April Fool's Day... give!

Comment

• Dr.Flay
              • Mar 2013

Probably this
              ...instead of imagining a Pheonix rising glorious and regal from the ashes, think tired and grumpy leaning out of bed to hit the snooze button on the alarm.

The 5.8 release is a reaction to a previous leaked beta.
              It has a few fixes and updates, but not much in the way of features.
              Radionomy promise a new alternative Winamp is in the works, but they are more focused on the mobile market.
              The jury is still out.

In the mean time while you wait for something you could try the alternative WACUP build from a more active developer that has added many new features.
              My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• DMadd
                • May 2019

You're evil.

Comment

• unckleb
                  • Jun 2018

I honestly do not think Winamp is gonna do anything- they been saying they're coming out with a new version for the last two years, AT LEAST.

Comment

• Dr.Flay
                    • Mar 2013

Any new version will be v6 and something new, probably for mobiles as far as we can tell.

...me ? Evil ?
                    MWAHAHAHAhahahahahaaaaaaa. . aaa.aaa.aa...a...a.a
                    *cough cough cough*
                    My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

The future is bleak.

Here, u have a company buying Winamp and totally blowing it. Leave it to the French (or Belgians or whatever they are) to ruin an iconic name in computer audio. C'est la vie!

So until someone with a brain buys it from them, I don't see it ever getting better.

Then u have wacup, which on the one hand seems to be the only hope for Winamp-ish progression, but I figure sooner or later the lawyers will step in, and I don't understand why such an endeavor, given the history involved, is not open source? That seems to be the Achilles heel to it, bc it makes one wonder about the devs motivations and it seemingly makes that Dev more vulnerable to the aforementioned lawyers.

What a sad way for such a great product to peter out. I love bento, smart views, and just the way the app works. I doubt media monkey or foobar will ever replicate that feeling. Ugh, just sad.
                      PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
                      --
                      BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
                      Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
                      Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Dr.Flay
                        • Mar 2013

There should be no way to stop DrO working on WACUP unless he mysteriously disappeared.
                        Currently it requires a real full Winamp distro as the base, so no changes are in the Winamp original files.
                        Thankfully the new components are being released as open source where the licences allow.
                        Eventually all original components will be replaced and we then have a full separate and compatible Winamp clone.

Radionomy are most likely going to release something very different to Winamp 5, so it will offer a different experience.
                        Winamp 6 and WACUP will overlap in features (so does VLC), but I think they may gain different users anyway.
                        Radionomy don't really have a lot of choice when it comes to which platform to focus on.
                        Since the previous sale of Winamp, the Android OS has become the most installed and used all over the planet.
                        Only a fool would focus on the desktop market first.
                        Having said that, Radionomy must be aware that an important part of many homes is the media player on your desktop.
                        They are definitely aware that to run a radio stream properly also requires a good desktop solution.

Radionomy have 3 products to think about intended to work as a whole. Without enough devs working on it, if we see anything it should be mobile first, then a desktop client more focused on DJs.

Comment

• gaekwad2
                          Foorum King
                          • Jul 2003

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
                          The future is bleak.

Here, u have a company buying Winamp and totally blowing it. Leave it to the French (or Belgians or whatever they are) to ruin an iconic name in computer audio. C'est la vie!
                          Count on a murkin to blame everything on foreigners, completely ignoring the state of winamp at the end of AOL's ownership.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                            Forum King
                            • Dec 2004

Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
                            There should be no way to stop DrO working on WACUP unless he mysteriously disappeared.
                            Currently it requires a real full Winamp distro as the base, so no changes are in the Winamp original files.
                            Thankfully the new components are being released as open source where the licences allow.
                            Eventually all original components will be replaced and we then have a full separate and compatible Winamp clone.
                            So if the guy who had full access to the iTunes code left Apple in a huff and wrote an iTunes clone, u think Apple would just go "no problem"?

I don't think so.

This isn't how proper reverse engineering is done.

Maybe radionomy doesn't care, or maybe they are just waiting until he finishes to sue and demand ownership of his work, who knows? They are stupid and incompetent so anything is possible, but to say that there is no risk or no case is woefully off the mark.

So the vast majority of the work is being released as open source? That's a smart move. What few items don't allow it?

Also, if radionomy is no longer interested in a desktop client as u say, they should make the entire thing open source, regardless of wacup or anything else.

Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
                            Count on a murkin to blame everything on foreigners, completely ignoring the state of winamp at the end of AOL's ownership.
                            Haha, fair point! BUT...

Are you saying ur happy with the job Radionomy has done???

AOL did it much better for much longer, no? Nullsoft b4 that...

Facts are facts, make Winamp great again!
                            PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
                            --
                            BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
                            Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
                            Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• jammerbirdi
                              • Jul 2019

I guess I was never one who needed Winamp to do a lot of things. All I care is that it keeps working with the latest Windows operating system. Having enqueue back for Windows 10 is probably the only thing I've been missing for the last four years. But before that, on a long excursion into Mac I didn't have Winamp at all. Which REALLY sucked. For mobile I have spotify. For all the stuff I accumulated over the last twenty years, this is all I need. It's what I started with in the late 90s. Everything else annoys me. Ready to make many new playlists. So I'm with the OP here in this thread. Old great software goes away and new things come along. Always been prepared for and experiencing that all along. Every new PC created challenges in keeping Winamp on board. Anyway. So this to me is a great thing just as it is. I hope that five or ten years from now when this PC wears out that they've gotten their shit together and there's an updated version that works with whatever operating system.

Comment

Working...
                              X